• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Guide to Offline lan between xbox one and xbox 360 w/ backwards compatible games

User Info: The_Likely_Hero

The_Likely_Hero
4 weeks ago#1
This guide will explain how you can lan across both consoles for system link games. With both physical and digital games.

You will need a router to generate a unique ip address for each console. You can also do this using a computer but its more complicated whereas the router is plug-n-play. An ethernet switch can be used if you need more ports than the router provides. A cross over ethernet cable will not work across both systems.

All phsyical copies will work fine across both systems if installed or running from the disc.

The X1 should never be set to "offline mode" in the console settings. It actually prevents it from being able to lan play as it disable all communication through the ethernet port.

If you have a backwards compatible title digitally purchased you can use that single copy to play across X1 and 360 offline at the same time. Its worth noting that the xbox live gamertag/profile associated with the purchase can only be used on one of the consoles. So you need to make an offline profile for the other console.

Digital games can only be stored on Internal hd on xbox360. X1 can be used from System or usb storage.

I tested three games for this, Halo 3, Halo ODST, and Halo Reach. Two were digital on the xbox one and xbox 360. The third was playing from a disc on an xbox 360. All titles worked fine in system link with no issues. Xbox one games will also work offline, but I did not have another xbox one to test cross play between the two consoles.

Hopefully this helps if you are like me and want to do an offline lan party.

The_Likely_Hero
4 weeks ago#2
If you get an error code launching a game on xbox one from the external hard drive you will need a different one. I found a 2tb western digital worked well.

User Info: krazykiwikid

krazykiwikid
4 weeks ago#3
Thanks for writing this. Appreciate the effort as I'd rather stab one of my eyes out than play split screen. I have an occasional lan game and it will be a lot easier now I have a new 4k TV in my lounge.

On a related note though does anyone know how to fix a MP issue with some BC games. Particularly with Portal 2 when you try to sign a second person in as a guest you just get an endless loop of it asking you to sign in.
If you wish to make a topic about Xbox One then do so. What happens with the PlayStation has nothing to do with Xbox - Gamefaqs moderator

The_Likely_Hero
4 weeks ago#4
krazykiwikid posted...
Thanks for writing this. Appreciate the effort as I'd rather stab one of my eyes out than play split screen. I have an occasional lan game and it will be a lot easier now I have a new 4k TV in my lounge.

On a related note though does anyone know how to fix a MP issue with some BC games. Particularly with Portal 2 when you try to sign a second person in as a guest you just get an endless loop of it asking you to sign in.

Have you tried making an offline profile? I dont have portal 2 specifically but all profile issues ive encountered in coop were resolved playing with offline profiles on 360. I use my xbox live account/gamertag as a login rather than a profile on the 360

User Info: krazykiwikid

krazykiwikid
4 weeks ago#5
The_Likely_Hero posted...
krazykiwikid posted...

Have you tried making an offline profile? I dont have portal 2 specifically but all profile issues ive encountered in coop were resolved playing with offline profiles on 360. I use my xbox live account/gamertag as a login rather than a profile on the 360

Sorry in this instance I actually was talking about split screen mode. Some games work fine with a guest account and others put you in an endless loop of having to sign in.
If you wish to make a topic about Xbox One then do so. What happens with the PlayStation has nothing to do with Xbox - Gamefaqs moderator

User Info: Solid Sonic

Solid Sonic
4 weeks ago#6
Why does the 360 have to use internal storage?
Washable toilet paper.

User Info: crazycyrax

crazycyrax
4 weeks ago#7
Sticky requested. Muchas gracias!
Sega Saturn SHIRO!
-Segata Sanshiro

User Info: nems1015

nems1015
4 weeks ago#8
crazycyrax posted...
Sticky requested. Danke
Currently playing : COD: Blops4 (X1), NBA2K18 (X1), Diablo 3 (X1), Farcry 5 (X1), Skyrim (X1)

The_Likely_Hero
4 weeks ago#9
Solid Sonic posted...
Why does the 360 have to use internal storage?

Originally, the system would not allow you to play games stored on external hard drive offline it would throw an error. However I just tested this. I copied over Halo ODST and Halo 3 to an external flash drive and hard drive then launched game while offline and it played without issue. There may have been a system update that I was unaware of but you can play offline digital games from external hd as well. I will update the post.

User Info: Arizona_Joe

Arizona_Joe
4 weeks ago#10
I know Gears 1, Left 4 Dead 2, and Portal 2 also work well. I hate split screen so hooking up my 360 to another TV was great. 1 digital copy works for both.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Guide to Offline lan between xbox one and xbox 360 w/ backwards compatible games
  • Topic Archived