Microsoft might buy Sega, thoughts?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Microsoft might buy Sega, thoughts?

User Info: LazorGuns

LazorGuns
4 days ago#1
Now take this with a grain of salt, but...

Microsoft is buying multiple large studios on a massive shopping spree, with Obsidian being just one of several that's likely to get announced at X018. A major one that's been speculated, and has truth to the matter, is Microsoft buying Sega.

This actually came from a rumor that starting earlier this year, much like Obsidian. And that rumor isn't unfounded.

https://www.thegamer.com/sega-microsoft-hold-big-meeting-merger-works/

On February 22nd, the official Japanese SEGA Twitter account tweeted a set of photos from the inside of Microsoft Studios in Japan. There weren’t any other details released, but one can only assume the talks were of a closer working relationship, one that might even involve the outright purchase of SEGA.

Adding SEGA to the Xbox lineup would give Microsoft access to a ton of exclusive IP, not the least of which being the Persona series from ATLUS’ catalog.

Other likely titles to make into an Xbox exclusive franchise could be Vanquish, Jet Set Radio, or Bayonetta.

There’s no official word yet from either party, so it could be these talks will also fall through. Time will tell if we’ll see Sonic the Hedgehog donning an Xbox logo on his furry blue behind.

https://i.imgtc.com/yIZsG55.jpg
https://i.imgtc.com/xn1sP8Z.jpg

Also, keep in mind that Ninja Theory had also paid Microsoft a visit before getting bought by them, and the rumors of Playground Games getting bought by Microsoft were there before it was announced, and Phil Spencer has been spending time in Japan (he's currently there right now) stating that his goal is to get more Japanese support. If they buy Sega, they'll have the Japanese arm of the company, and even if it doesn't move Xbox systems that much, they still got PC.

Think about it, buying Sega means Xbox suddenly has all of these very appealing Japanese games at their disposal:

Sonic
Valkyria Chronicles
Jet Set Radio
Yakuza
NiGHTS
Phantasy Star
Panzer Dragoon
Streets of Rage
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Crazy Taxi

Oh, and if they get Sega, they get Atlus as well. That means Megami Tensei, Persona, Etrian Odyssey and Trauma Center are also on Xbox.

Granted, this would be fun not just for the games, but the massive s***storm by Sony fans would be so fun to watch that it'd provide entertainment on its own.

But if this becomes reality, how would you feel?

User Info: sillyrascal

sillyrascal
4 days ago#2
Y'know what?

Phantasy Star Online could be huge in todays grind obsessed market.
PSN:bcukIMPERIUM
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-16559385043077_2086_9339952

User Info: smurfsn1p3r

smurfsn1p3r
4 days ago#3
Pso 2

Dragon force 1 and 2

Phantasy star generations with 3, and 4 getting upgrades

Panzer dragoon collection.

Are all I want for my Xbox one.
Any problems with me buying digital, then by all means send me Physical copies of the games you do not want me to own digitally

User Info: P0E

P0E
4 days ago#4
If they would do something with the Phantasy Star online game series, yes please! Phantasy Star Universe was the best time I had on the 360.

If they would buy Sega and bring over Phantasy Star Online 2, that be a dream.
Creepy is my favorite type of Pasta.

User Info: Darkneo20

Darkneo20
4 days ago#5
you forgot about skies of arcadia !!
Core i5 6600k 16gigs Gskill Ripjaws 3000 ASUS GTX 1060 Turbo 6gig Asrock Fatality Z170 MB 240gig sandisc SSD WD Blue 2TB HDD XFX Modular 750watt

User Info: agentspoon

agentspoon
4 days ago#6
"butt giuz! 'merican cumpanies cant bi Japanez company. it duh LWAH!"
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!

User Info: FatBamboo

FatBamboo
4 days ago#7
that means we have a possibility of a Grandia 2 coming to Xbox right since it was on the Sega Dreamcast?
GT: xBambooXer0Xx

User Info: LazorGuns

LazorGuns
4 days ago#8
agentspoon posted...

Isn’t Tango Gameworks owned by Bethesda?

User Info: agentspoon

agentspoon
4 days ago#9
LazorGuns posted...
agentspoon posted...

Isn’t Tango Gameworks owned by Bethesda?

No idea, I am just taking the piss out of the armchair lawyers that where on here a few months back. People made the valid and true point that MS has enough money to buy Sony and Nintendo outright if they wished and they came scurrying out the woodwork, not to deny what was said but put up imaginary barriers.
HOLY ****! What is this? Forged in Gods very flames! Do mine eyes tell me lies? A new Elder Scrolls game?
Time is nigh, I must fly, Venture forth on my quest!

User Info: smurfsn1p3r

smurfsn1p3r
4 days ago#10
P0E posted...
If they would do something with the Phantasy Star online game series, yes please! Phantasy Star Universe was the best time I had on the 360.

If they would buy Sega and bring over Phantasy Star Online 2, that be a dream.

PSU was so much fun. I really miss that game. I was testing the clementine server, until my PC and laptop blew in same week last month.
Any problems with me buying digital, then by all means send me Physical copies of the games you do not want me to own digitally
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Microsoft might buy Sega, thoughts?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.