What's your favourite gaming genre, and is it represented well this gen?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. What's your favourite gaming genre, and is it represented well this gen?

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
4 weeks ago#1
Just as the topic asks, really - which of the genres is your absolute favourite, and would you say you've been satisfied by the selection available in that genre this generation?

For me, I'm nuts for survival horror. It's always been my favourite subgenre, and whilst I favour more psychological horror over all-out jumpscares, I feel moderately happy with what we've gotten this generation. From the sublime Resident Evil 7 in VR, to The Evil Within, Outlast, State of Decay and Alien Isolation - my survival horror fix has been sated.

I'd like some more, but who WOULDN'T want more of a good thing?

WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE GENRE, AND HAVE YOU HAD AMPLE OF IT, THIS GENERATION?
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: RonBurgundy929

RonBurgundy929
4 weeks ago#2
FPS

Oh yes.
Xbox One X & PS4 Pro: RonBurgundy929

User Info: fratalien

fratalien
4 weeks ago#3
Fighting...not as well as I’d like...
"My dad owns a dealership!"

User Info: brinktruck

brinktruck
4 weeks ago#4
Third-person stealth.

Unfortunately there haven't been many good experiences since Ubisoft stopped making Splinter Cell. I play almost every game with as much stealth as it will allow me, but this generation has been really lacking for quality dedicated stealth games.

I've yet to try MGSV though and I've heard it's quite good in terms of stealth. I haven't played any other MGS games though and the story seems a little intimidating to jump in so late in the game.

Any recommendations are definitely welcomed!
Keep it loose, like a wizard's sleeve.

User Info: Brownstone

Brownstone
4 weeks ago#5
Action rpg's, and yes it is well represented. Dark Souls 3 and Monster Hunter World are both in my top 5 favorite games ever, and TW3 is a great game too.

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
4 weeks ago#6
brinktruck posted...
Third-person stealth.

Unfortunately there haven't been many good experiences since Ubisoft stopped making Splinter Cell. I play almost every game with as much stealth as it will allow me, but this generation has been really lacking for quality dedicated stealth games.

I've yet to try MGSV though and I've heard it's quite good in terms of stealth. I haven't played any other MGS games though and the story seems a little intimidating to jump in so late in the game.

I'd say that Ghost Recon Wildlands definitely has the option to go stealthy, though it's not the focus. Just if you're desperate. As you've got a liking to Splinter Cell, you'll be interested to hear that they utilise a lot of Splinter Cell mechanics and even have a nice set of cameos, too.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: Game_Fan09

Game_Fan09
4 weeks ago#7
action/adventure. Theres quite a few on the market but, I dont have an interest to play some this gen.
Hurry up next gen

User Info: Winternova

Winternova
4 weeks ago#8
Sports games this generation have been fantastic, so yes. I've even found some hidden gems thanks to Games With Gold, like Super Mega Baseball 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm just alt-write. BOOM! Lawyered.

User Info: ajaxle

ajaxle
4 weeks ago#9
Flight simulation,...hell no.
Don't get eliminated!

User Info: brinktruck

brinktruck
4 weeks ago#10
SigmaLongshot posted...
brinktruck posted...
Third-person stealth.

I'd say that Ghost Recon Wildlands definitely has the option to go stealthy, though it's not the focus. Just if you're desperate. As you've got a liking to Splinter Cell, you'll be interested to hear that they utilise a lot of Splinter Cell mechanics and even have a nice set of cameos, too.

I'll have to check it out, I assumed it was more of a third person shooter but maybe I'll pick it up during the summer sale. It's hard to come by stealth games this generation sadly. I've found games either have a small side mission or just one part of a main mission for stealth but no fully fleshed out games.

Thanks for the recommendation though!
Keep it loose, like a wizard's sleeve.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. What's your favourite gaming genre, and is it represented well this gen?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived