What's the most cryptic thing you've ever seen in a game?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. What's the most cryptic thing you've ever seen in a game?

User Info: Look_A_Username

Look_A_Username
5 months ago#1
Was it a puzzle that really annoyed you and made you look it up online? Game mechanics that you found out on your own because they were never explained in game? Hidden secrets etc.

I know it'd be cheating to say the entirety of Souls games, but I think covenants specifically are pretty...uninformative. To this day, since playing the first DS in the beginning of 2013, I have no idea what specific covenants do in any of the games.
http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz329/TehAwsumDude/dealwithitspider.jpg http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz329/TehAwsumDude/sonicderpp.jpg

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
5 months ago#2
I still can't complete Silent Hill 3 on the hard puzzles setting without a guide.

I thought I was relatively smrt, but I'll never figure out that Shakespeare puzzle in my own, even after replays. Even if I was familiar with all his works.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

User Info: fratalien

fratalien
5 months ago#3
I remember that it took several years to progress past the first world in Bomberman 64, for me. The game never explains how to make your bombs into the giant mega bombs...which are needed to destroy particular obstacles.

My cousin showed me how and I beat it relatively quick, after that.
"My dad owns a dealership!"

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
5 months ago#4
I had to give up on The Witness.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)

User Info: AWarAmp84

AWarAmp84
5 months ago#5
I played through a large portion of Dark Souls 3, which was my first Souls game, without knowing that I could jump. Before that, I would just try to roll across small gaps which was a pain in the ass.

User Info: metroidman92

metroidman92
5 months ago#6
The terminals in Halo 3. Or anything related to Halo's ARGs.

Or the reversed dialogue you'd hear in Halo 2.
"Now would be an excellent time for procreation!"

User Info: Phlegyas

Phlegyas
5 months ago#7
There was a silly thing in Zelda Twilight Princess. Basically, to find your way, you jad to transformed into Wolf-Link and catch the scent of a fish or something. I don't remember the ever being a hint, and I believe it was the only told you had to do that.
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate

User Info: old_school227

old_school227
5 months ago#8
I know adventure games are easy targets but this one's always bugged me.

King's Quest(1983)
A gnome asks you to guess his name.
The only hint in the game is a book in an unrelated area of the game that tells you to "think backwards"
You could consider the fact that everything is fairy tale themed a clue if you want to stretch.
If you guess Rumplestiltskin (keep in mind you have to spell it correctly) he tells you that you are close
If you somehow put together the think backwards clue and guess nikstlitselpmur he also tells you that you are on the right track
Turns out you have to reverse the alphabet making the answer Ifnkovhgroghprm

Best part is that it's not required to beat the game (which it's 1983 so you have no way of knowing that) the only difference is you have to climb a beanstalk instead of a staircase, and i think the beanstalk is harder.
https://i.imgur.com/YJLTedM.jpg

User Info: OldDarkElf

OldDarkElf
5 months ago#9
The Bards Tale game for PC were incredibly difficult, even by today's standards. Back then I had to get some graph paper to map out the dungeons. Besides it's extremely tough combat and dungeoneering, it had some near impossible riddles and puzzles. Man those were some great games.
First troll to reach 10 million alts wins.

User Info: shotgunheadshot

shotgunheadshot
5 months ago#10
That’s a mighty big word you’re using TC.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. What's the most cryptic thing you've ever seen in a game?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived