When/If you lose motivation to play games, how do you get back into it?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. When/If you lose motivation to play games, how do you get back into it?

User Info: StoneRevolver

StoneRevolver
3 months ago#1
I want to play stuff, but I have a hard time finding the motivation to do so.
She said 'don't give me no lines, and keep yo' hands to yoself'.'

User Info: ChiefStabaHoe

ChiefStabaHoe
3 months ago#2
Just try

That's how I am with alot of games like the witcher3
Has a experience-based degree in lesbian dance theory
I also identify as a sexual tyranasuarus thank you very much

User Info: RyWx

RyWx
3 months ago#3
It varies for me. Usually I look at the game I'm finding difficult to get into. Let's take my recent platinum of RE5 for example, knowing just how much Sheva would screw me on professional difficulty kept me from doing it until I finally just said f*** it, let's go.

In some cases it's just genre fatigue, so I'll jump to a different game. Take RE5 again, I probably won't go into a similar game for a while just because the tropes will be tired at this point, but jumping into something completely different like Ori would reinvigorate my waning interest to play.

If none of that works, I simply walk away and do something else like write music or start a special project with my kids. Getting away from it will always make it feel fresh when you come back.
"Mod this" he said too tired to grab his wang...

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
3 months ago#4
Try something different, something fun, and don't burden yourself by worrying about whether you'll finish it or not.

I went through a slump like that years ago and it turned out I'd just grown bored of the AAA industry and needed to try something else. I started playing Mario and other platforming titles for the first time since I was a kid and really started enjoying gaming again.

And over the years I've grown less concerned with finishing certain games. Nothing is worse than making your hobby feel like homework and collecting the dozen collectables or finishing off a 60 hour campaign that really doesn't have a compelling story anyway isn't worth my time anymore.
I'd rather move on to something I enjoy than run around an open world for the extra few days it would take to reach a sure to be unsatisfying conclusion.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

User Info: Balzak74

Balzak74
3 months ago#5
I take a break from gaming overall. Read a book, or spend some time outside. It's not uncommon for me to not game for a week or so. I tend to also have two games on the go from different genres..
I am not late, I just live in world that's too early

User Info: EnemyWithin88

EnemyWithin88
3 months ago#6
Just do it. Doesn't make sense to me. I have a friend who forks thousands out on games and barely touches them
Play Slow Die Ignorant

User Info: vigorm0rtis

vigorm0rtis
3 months ago#7
I don't. Gaming's not a job, if I'm not into it I do something else.
A nerd's eyes are black, black like a doll's eyes...

User Info: medmuscle

medmuscle
3 months ago#8
Take a break and just watch some flicks for a week or two. Then return to gaming and see how it feels.

I also play on systems ranging from the NES all the way to current gen and lots of stuff in between, including hendheld systems. Each system has its own control scheme and atmosphere. I also switch game genres too. I might go from playing a JRPG on PS4, to a platformer on GBA, to a sandbox game on 360, to a racing game on Dreamcast. Doing this constantly changes the "feel" and keeps things fresh. I can't imagine ALWAYS using the exact same control scheme.
There needs to be anabolic steroid law reform. Bodybuilding is NOT a criminal activity. Also, putting someone on ignore means you are a delicate little flower.

User Info: BinBinricecake

BinBinricecake
3 months ago#9
I take a break and do other things until my itch to play games again comes back. I usually bring my psp or 3ds just in case I need to get my fix of fighting games (or games in general) and usually when I do pick one of the two up, I get back into the groove again. Though, it requires me to always toss both systems into my pack but I usually end up using one of the other 8-12 hours later as one can only watch so many videos/shows on their phone. And I don't do social media at all so...I guess I'm never really burnt out on games. I just need to play in moderation (like anything else)
I'm slowly learning that the gamefaqs main boards is not a place for discussion, this is a place for sad lonely attention seekers to go and pick fights.

User Info: holden4ever

holden4ever
3 months ago#10
medmuscle posted...
Take a break and just watch some flicks for a week or two. Then return to gaming and see how it feels.

That's what I've been doing but it hasn't worked yet. Next game I'm really interested in is Jurassic Park Evolution so it should leave me plenty of time to catch up on shows and movies I've missed.
https://i.imgur.com/wTUjLps.jpg - RIP Holden
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. When/If you lose motivation to play games, how do you get back into it?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived