How much better do Non-Enhanced games perform on Xbox One X?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. How much better do Non-Enhanced games perform on Xbox One X?

User Info: dangreen

dangreen
5 months ago#1
Ok so I am fully aware that Xbox One X Enhanced games will always look and perform a lot better than PS4/PS4 Pro versions! but what about games that are not Enhanced? Some examples:

Alien Isolation: Digital Foundry said the PS4 version was better than the One version due to a more consistent frame rate and a complete lack of screen tear

Metal Gear 5 Phantom Pain: Digital Foundry said the PS4 version was better as it was 1080p compared to 1600X900 on the One as well as Xbox having lower resolution motion blur.

GTA 5: Digital Foundry said the PS4 performed better at stress points, higher foliage density and more intense lens flare effects

Evil Within: PS4 version 1920X768 compared to 1600X640 on Xbox.

Will these Unenhanced games outperform the PS4 versions if you play them on the Xbox One X? Or being Unenhanced, are the differences very minimal and the PS4 versions of these games would still perform superior?

Digital Foundry always compare Xbox Enhanced games with PS4 versions but would be cool of them to compare a couple of these Unenhanced games playing through the One X to see how much better they perform compared to how they did on the initial Face-Offs.

User Info: Neo Vejiita

Neo Vejiita
5 months ago#2
The frame rates are always super stable and it reduces or eliminates most tearing, but the resolution disparity will always be there.

For games that dynamically scale resolution (wolfenstein the new order for example) it will stay at the upper bounds way more often.

The level of detail isn’t changed unless the game has some fancy dynamic lod system.

For me personally if the PS4 runs the game stable at a higher resolution than the base Xbox one then I’ll just get the PS4 version. I’ll prioritize stability over resolution though so if the game has issues on the PS4 (and even if it had issues on base xbone hardware) I’ll most likely pick it up for my Xbox one x.
aka NeoMasamune

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
5 months ago#3
If you have the PS4 version do not get the Xbox version. The 1X complete eliminates the terrible framerate seen in both versions BUT the Xbox version has always had framepacing issues. So on the Xbox, and yeah, even the 1X, it stutters every single second from beginning to end.

A few levels with bad performance on the PS4 is far easier to tolerate than constant framepacing. I had both versions and kept the base PS4 copy.

Some other games see huge performance boosts. The Halo MCC performs almost flawlessly on the 1X as well as H2 and 3 looking noticeably better.

Other titles like Observer and Just Cause 3 still run terribly.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

User Info: Alnilam81

Alnilam81
5 months ago#4
There's no easy answer, it really depends on the game and how it was made. The X can brute-force some games to run better than on a normal Xbox, but it's not certain.

Games that use a dynamic resolution tend to do well as it hits the higher end much more, however the benefits of that depend on what resolution the upper limit was set to. If the cap was 900p (which was often the case) then you still probably won't be hitting higher resolutions than the PS4 version without an X patch.

dangreen
5 months ago#5
Thats interesting! Thanks everyone :)

I will buy all the Enhanced games on the Xbox One but with the older Unenhanced games (like the 4 examples I gave where the base PS4 won the faceoffs) I’ll just keep hold of the PS4 versions.

It actually wouldnt surprise me if GTA V gets enhanced soon! Especially afrer the fantastic feedback they recieved for their enhanced version of Red Dead just recently.

dangreen
5 months ago#6
The Witcher 3 and Doom were 2 of
My favourite games on PS4 but when those games got enhanced on the One X I double dipped as they look and perform amazingly now! Will soon play through the Witcher 3 again. Goodbye next 2 weeks haha.

Also picked up Rare Replay and God Of War so loving being a gamer at the moment :D

User Info: chaosslayer

chaosslayer
5 months ago#7
I started this gen with my PS4 being my primary console and have recently picked up a Xbox One X.

All older XBox One games that have been Xbox One X Enhanced (Witcher 3 etc) I'll upgrade to Xbox One X versions.
Older Xbox games that are not Xbox One X Enhanced (Alien Isolation etc) I'll just keep the PS4 version I have.

dangreen
5 months ago#8
chaosslayer posted...
I started this gen with my PS4 being my primary console and have recently picked up a Xbox One X.

All older XBox One games that have been Xbox One X Enhanced (Witcher 3 etc) I'll upgrade to Xbox One X versions.
Older Xbox games that are not Xbox One X Enhanced (Alien Isolation etc) I'll just keep the PS4 version I have.

Thanks! I'll do the same now.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. How much better do Non-Enhanced games perform on Xbox One X?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived