Horrible Bosses: Game bosses that are uninspired, lame, or just total guff

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Horrible Bosses: Game bosses that are uninspired, lame, or just total guff

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#51
Danimus posted...
That stupid sword fight/qte at the end of Uncharted 4. Especially since the rest of Uncharted 4 was so fun.

QTE bosses kill off the whole "boss" feel of them. I don't know why developers don't get this. If you're characterising your big bad AS a big bad, make me fight 'em!

At the end of Shadow of Mordor I was so excited to finally fight Sauron - especially boosted the hype by having just watched the films a few days prior to build anticipation. Then... glorified cutscene.

Awful.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: Jester69

Jester69
1 month ago#52
Danimus posted...
That stupid sword fight/qte at the end of Uncharted 4. Especially since the rest of Uncharted 4 was so fun.

One of the most frustrating boss fights I have had in awhile.

Rodrigo Borgia (AC2) - Finally have a chance to kill him, but ends up in a fist fight and you let him live...

Liquid Ocelot (MGS4)- Just a fist fight...

User Info: FlyEaglesFly24

FlyEaglesFly24
1 month ago#53
Isaac Frost- Fight Night Champion

God, three rounds of running away from him. Three rounds of body shots, and then you had a chance to take him down.

Those scripted fights were terrible.
I just changed my signature because the Eagles won the Super Bowl!
-February 4th, 2018

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
1 month ago#54
SigmaLongshot posted...
Danimus posted...

QTE bosses kill off the whole "boss" feel of them. I don't know why developers don't get this. If you're characterising your big bad AS a big bad, make me fight 'em!

At the end of Shadow of Mordor I was so excited to finally fight Sauron - especially boosted the hype by having just watched the films a few days prior to build anticipation. Then... glorified cutscene.

Awful.

It's the worst of both worlds. They're not interesting to play and they could look far better if they were a well directed cutscene instead.

The problem is that western devs don't make finales that play to their games strength.
Japanese boss fights are often brilliant because they throw everything at the player and expect them to overcome it using the skills they've learned.
And that's exactly what western games need to do.

Uncharted is a game about climbing to crazy heights while shooting dozens of dudes. So for a boss fight why not have the player chasing the boss as they climb and navigate the terrain and shoot at goons (to be fair, U:LL did this)?

Do you know what game I love that didn't have mechanics that suited a solo boss fight and yet still managed an epic finale? Halo: CE.
They took the vehicle mechanics the player was already familiar with and created a tense and interesting obstacle course for the player to navigate that didn't feel out of place with the rest of the game.

Too bad the other Halo's all tried to force in a bullet sponge boss fight or QTE event that felt seriously out of place.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#55
da_StoOge posted...
SigmaLongshot posted...
Danimus posted...

Awful.

It's the worst of both worlds. They're not interesting to play and they could look far better if they were a well directed cutscene instead.

The problem is that western devs don't make finales that play to their games strength.
Japanese boss fights are often brilliant because they throw everything at the player and expect them to overcome it using the skills they've learned.
And that's exactly what western games need to do.

Uncharted is a game about climbing to crazy heights while shooting dozens of dudes. So for a boss fight why not have the player chasing the boss as they climb and navigate the terrain and shoot at goons (to be fair, U:LL did this)?

Do you know what game I love that didn't have mechanics that suited a solo boss fight and yet still managed an epic finale? Halo: CE.
They took the vehicle mechanics the player was already familiar with and created a tense and interesting obstacle course for the player to navigate that didn't feel out of place with the rest of the game.

Too bad the other Halo's all tried to force in a bullet sponge boss fight or QTE event that felt seriously out of place.

I think Halo 3 does the same thing, but ramps it up (hah, "ramps") by including tons of exploding metal catwalks, doesn't it?

At any rate, I agree with "just make it a cutscene". I actually don't mind it when final bosses aren't a direct fight but are something more akin to a puzzle (Mirror's Edge, for example, isn't built for fighting, so the "boss" is more like a parkour challenge), but if you can't even do that, just... don't have a boss. Just don't build up a conflict that amounts to "mash B".

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#56
Danimus posted...

I just re-finished Uncharted 4 again with my wife today, actually, and I forgot how utterly guff that bit was. Some of his animations are deceptive; it asks you to read the animation to react accordingly, but the animations are all guff in that fight (they're great elsewhere).

It reminds me, in a lot of ways, of L.A.Noire, where you're asked to "doubt" them if you think they're lying, but they pull a face like they've just eaten a bit of marmite-coated raw lemon and you're sat there like "is... is this lying, or is he in pain?!"

SigmaLongshot
1 month ago#57
https://youtu.be/wDmwOpkSYLg

Dynamo Man in Megaman and Bass was always my least favourite in that game, just because he does that infuriating "I'll reheal to full if you give me the chance" thing.

Which, as everyone knows, is the least fun thing a boss can do, alongside "summon a ton of regular foes".
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Horrible Bosses: Game bosses that are uninspired, lame, or just total guff

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived