Games are too long

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Games are too long

User Info: DigitalFury_

DigitalFury_
5 months ago#21
FaytlessHearts posted...
Farcry 4 I hear is extremely short. you can beat the game about 15 minutes after starting.

Gone Home can literally be beaten in under a minute

https://imgur.com/m3DJAYw
XBL GT: M0NSTERRA1N

User Info: FlyEaglesFly24

FlyEaglesFly24
5 months ago#22
I don’t think the length of games has changed all that much to be honest.

The change is more about developers adding unnecessary sections to games to make them seem longer.

But even in the Playstation 1 era, we had 40 hour rpgs. I mean isn’t FFVII the most requested remake ever?
I just changed my signature because the Eagles won the Super Bowl!
-February 4th, 2018

User Info: DirkMcGurkin

DirkMcGurkin
5 months ago#23
I remember spending like 60 or more hours on games 20 or so years ago. All of those were RPGs. The only thing that's changed is that most genres now use the RPG formula of collecting and leveling up which has added longevity to genres that were once linear and short.
Gamertag: Dirk McGurkin

User Info: Syn_Vengeance

Syn_Vengeance
5 months ago#24
Resident Evil 7
The Evil Within 2
Any of the Wolfensteins

If you like fighting games check out Injustice 2, the story is pretty short and awesome. The game gives you choices throughout the story that are cool. Plus it adds replay value when you go back to play it again and can make the opposite choices.
Xbox Live: Syn Vengeance0
PSN: Syn_Vengeance0

User Info: Disellis

Disellis
5 months ago#25
As many have mentioned, Evil Within 1 and 2 are both 15-20 hour games that don’t pad out the game and flow naturally, and can easily be played multiple times but you can get the whole experience with just one play through.

In the same vain, Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0 remastered, Resident Evil 4 and 7 (and Resident Evil 5 and 6, but I’d only recommend those if you have a co op partner). Are all games that focus on just 1 solid storyline that has a beginning, a middle and an end with no BS in between. Some of them can even be completed in less than 2 hours if you know what you are doing.

Speaking of Co op, there’s A Way Out coming out next week and it’s said to be 6-8 hours of straight story driven cinematic gameplay. You NEED a co op partner to play however.

Both Limbo and Inside are great platformer games with amazing art design that can be completed in a single sitting.

User Info: FaytlessHearts

FaytlessHearts
5 months ago#26
DigitalFury_ posted...
FaytlessHearts posted...
Farcry 4 I hear is extremely short. you can beat the game about 15 minutes after starting.

Dude what?! How? I actually think gone home is pretty cool to just mess around on :D
Lel

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
5 months ago#27
I made a thread not too long ago that helped me discover that there are far more people eager for 100+ hour games than 5 hour games.

It also showed I was definitely in the minority - I much prefer to see a game to completion within the fortnight.

I wonder what proportion of those people that want the longer games have jobs, wives/husbands and/or kids though, but that's another question entirely.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: AnonymousFriend

AnonymousFriend
5 months ago#28
FaytlessHearts posted...
DigitalFury_ posted...
FaytlessHearts posted...

Dude what?! How? I actually think gone home is pretty cool to just mess around on :D

The jackasses who like to post junk like this always leave out how the games with these ine or two hour completions are only possible after playing tbe games normally and then figuring out the correct sequences to doing it very quickly.

A decade ago people were complaining about 10 hour CoD campaigns when they were still getting high praises for how good they were. All the while I was sitting there wondering "What more could they be wanting?". And I foresaw devs responses bringing nothing but trouble. Now we get incessant paddling.

Not every game needs a long length. I'm from the era of gaming were a lot of the best games at the time could be completed in less than an hour.
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend

User Info: DigitalFury_

DigitalFury_
5 months ago#29
AnonymousFriend posted...

The jackasses who like to post junk like this always leave out how the games with these ine or two hour completions are only possible after playing tbe games normally and then figuring out the correct sequences to doing it very quickly.

Dude, Gone Home, even if you explore the whole mansion and get every collectible wouldn't take more than a couple hours. But don't let that get in the way of your super edgy take on a game you clearly haven't played.

FaytlessHearts posted...

The key to the attic is in a closet in the 1st floor foyer, right next to the clock. You run in, grab the key and haul ass up to the 2nd floor hallway with the pull down door to the attic.

It took me like 4-5 tries to get it right
XBL GT: M0NSTERRA1N

User Info: uubershikamarux

uubershikamarux
5 months ago#30
Half-minute hero is a great game tc as well as most of the indies people are mentioning.
GT: FullM3tal UK - PSN: DarthGokuverine
Me fail english that's unpossible
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Games are too long

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived