when will selling digital games become a thing....

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. when will selling digital games become a thing....

User Info: bordeninspace

bordeninspace
4 months ago#71
E3
referral LINK for $5 off loot crate Http://looted.by/hRaV4 $10 zbucks at E liquid box Zamplebox.com
LINK Zb.link/ERNESTO-17

User Info: RedDusk

RedDusk
4 months ago#72
georgep001 posted...
Rings posted...
I’d love to sell Monster Hunter right now.

Bought it digitally, and boy did I ever make a mistake.

This is one of the worst games I’ve played in quite a while.

I tried the beta good thing made me not purchase it terrible game don’t get the appeal.

Same. I knew it was a game I had to try to know if I would like it. Glad it got a beta cause I just couldn’t have fun with it and would have been a mistake to buy.
PSN: Eli_Saieh_ | NNID: Eli_Saieh_S | Currently playing: Dino Crisis - Sleeping Dogs - Super Mario Kart
2018 Games beaten: 3 - Latest: StarTropics

User Info: StarLightGlimmR

StarLightGlimmR
4 months ago#73
I rarely buy digital games at full price.

User Info: BadBoyzFastToyz

BadBoyzFastToyz
4 months ago#74
Pyro_Yuy posted...
BadBoyzFastToyz posted...
sonicteam2k1 posted...
BadBoyzFastToyz posted...
They have always said this day would come.

The main reason, is they don't want you to sell your games to Gamestop, etc since they don't make money a second time. Only the store make money. Sony, MS, Nintendo get screwed the second, third, etc times it is sold, traded, sold again.

When trading in old video games became a thing, I knew the end was near for physical copies. Devs want paid, and the main three also want paid.

If stores quit taking physical copies for trade and reselling them, I bet the digital games would come down in price. There would be only the three major players selling games and they would sell more since no one can compete with them.

you were right up until that point. They have no reason to drop prices. At this point they'll have a monopoly.

They (the major 3) could do what they are doing on some games you buy used, they force you to buy the context online if you want to play the game you bought used.

I forget what game(s) that do that, but I have heard it happening.

Also, lowering prices could happen, look what they do now, there is a sale every month or two, and sometimes there are the new releases in them. Assassins creed origins comes to mind, out less than three weeks and they dropped the price for Black Friday sale.

Never will know for the simple reason, no one is going to stop buying used games or trading them in unless they quit making them to sell and forcing everyone to buy digital.

I've never been a fan of buying used games, and always figured physical games would come to an end someday.

Example, let's use Call of Duty, WW2,

$60 plus tax to buy the game to play, beat it and trade it in within a month, might get $35 in trade for it or more. Sony, MS and devs make money. Store makes very very little in sale.

The store resells it for $55, the store makes $55, Sony, MS and devs make nothing.

Repeat again, trade in for $25, they resell it for $50, again devs and Sony, MS make nothing.

Repeat again, trade in for $20, they resell it for $45, again devs and Sony, MS make nothing.

So the first sale helps Sony,MS and devs out and they get to split $60.

The store made $150 off the same game reselling it three more time, and the devs and Sony, MS made nothing.

$50. That's how much the second hand store makes selling it three times. You forgot to deduct buyback from the final number.

Also, the math says they made $70, not $50, but that isn't right either, see below.

Store credit doesn't count, it's a write off to the big stores. Why else would they do it.

I've never seen a store give cash for a game. Usually only store credit, smaller stores, I have no idea.

Either way, Sony,MS, and devs get screwed.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not". ~ Andre Gide

User Info: WalkingWiki

WalkingWiki
4 months ago#75
Honestly, as aforementioned, with digital games being pretty much entirely based in supply and demand, I don’t see selling back digital games coming at any time. As ALSO aforementioned, the only thing I see like that would be the selling of digital licenses to another person itself, although I don’t know if that would profit much itself. Idk. It’s all a jumbled, unsure mess really.
Currently playing: Call of Duty: World War II, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Borderlands

User Info: TheSL1Club

TheSL1Club
4 months ago#76
TBONE_OG posted...
Digital is the same price as physical because of the added perks:

Two copies of the game for one price if you gameshare.
Take your games anywhere.
Never damaged or lost.
Play at release (sometimes earlier)
Less clutter.
More I'm not thinking of?

What might be allowed someday is to transfer your game license to another person. We'll see.

Those perks you mentioned and the cost being the same as physical are completely two separate things. The perks are the nature of being digital media itself, it has no relation to cost of physical media.

User Info: prsboys

prsboys
3 months ago#77
I like how the gaming community still thinks an all digital future is going to happen. The demand for physical games is way to high for the business to ever go all digital. People love having the box displayed on a shelf, or being able to bring it to a friends house.
Hello peoples it is Prsboys and how I wish I had a taco

User Info: DirkMcGurkin

DirkMcGurkin
3 months ago#78
prsboys posted...
I like how the gaming community still thinks an all digital future is going to happen. The demand for physical games is way to high for the business to ever go all digital. People love having the box displayed on a shelf, or being able to bring it to a friends house.

They may too high now, but if trends continue, and they will, the days of physical games are numbered.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/20/digital-games-sales-are-crushing-boxed-games-in-the-us/

Steady drop in physical sales year after year. It’s inevitable.
Gamertag: Dirk McGurkin

User Info: AnonymousFriend

AnonymousFriend
3 months ago#79
DirkMcGurkin posted...
prsboys posted...

They may too high now, but if trends continue, and they will, the days of physical games are numbered.

https://www.vg247.com/2017/04/20/digital-games-sales-are-crushing-boxed-games-in-the-us/

Steady drop in physical sales year after year. It’s inevitable.

Of all media, video games will be the one to go full digital.
Nothing is over-rated. Your opinion is just outnumbered.
PSN ID/Gamertag - AnonymousFriend
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. when will selling digital games become a thing....

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived