• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. when will selling digital games become a thing....

User Info: stevieb1234567

stevieb1234567
10 months ago#61
I hope it never is unless they find someway we can trade them back in.
Brought to you by GameFlux
Free GameFAQs app on Google Play!

User Info: Rings

Rings
10 months ago#62
I’d love to sell Monster Hunter right now.

Bought it digitally, and boy did I ever make a mistake.

This is one of the worst games I’ve played in quite a while.
Xbox One S (Blue Limited Edition)
Intel Core i7-2600k @3.40gHz / 16GB RAM / GeForce GTX 960

User Info: Saysdawg

Saysdawg
10 months ago#63
kingvortex posted...
wildstrike1516 posted...
Yes they would allow it, if there is enough of a demand for it. There are a long list of games I will not pay full price for but would buy second hand off the other user. Just because I'm willing to buy it used doesn't mean the company "lost out" on sales because I would have never bought it new. Also MS could add a fee to this transaction the buyer pays and they could split that between the publisher and them.

Also if the user sells the game they then will have that money in the microsoft store which they will spend and MS will get a cut of.

I can see where you're coming from. You want it to happen so you can get cheaper digital games.

However, there is absolutely no upside for Microsoft or the publishers in your theoretical situation.

They already take a cut of every game at full price. Why would they create a market that sells that exact same product for cheaper and reduces their profits? Any hypothetical charge added to "used" digital sales would have to be small in order to not put off buyers, which in no way would replace the current profits they already make from selling the exact same item.

Publishers don't care about a missed sale from somebody that cannot afford their games or doesn't want to pay full price, just as any other retailer won't sell you something for 2/3 off for those reasons. Commerce doesn't work like that.

The only way this ever happens is if laws are passed to force it. No company will willingly trash a revenue stream.

This
I wasn't born with enough middle fingers

User Info: Lvaneede

Lvaneede
10 months ago#64
Never
Fact: Nintendo is the best, there is no point denying it.

User Info: AWarAmp84

AWarAmp84
10 months ago#65
Rings posted...

Come on now, you should never gamble digitally. I couldn't get into it either which is why it's currently sitting in the back seat of my car waiting to be traded in. I just can't make up my mind on what I want to buy in its place. Nothing is jumping out at me right now.
"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply."

User Info: DirkMcGurkin

DirkMcGurkin
10 months ago#66
Rings posted...

I’m kicking myself for not renting or at least buying physical. I gave it a chance, tried to like it, but it’s just really bad.
Gamertag: Dirk McGurkin

User Info: Pyro_Yuy

Pyro_Yuy
10 months ago#67
BadBoyzFastToyz posted...
sonicteam2k1 posted...
BadBoyzFastToyz posted...
They have always said this day would come.

The main reason, is they don't want you to sell your games to Gamestop, etc since they don't make money a second time. Only the store make money. Sony, MS, Nintendo get screwed the second, third, etc times it is sold, traded, sold again.

When trading in old video games became a thing, I knew the end was near for physical copies. Devs want paid, and the main three also want paid.

If stores quit taking physical copies for trade and reselling them, I bet the digital games would come down in price. There would be only the three major players selling games and they would sell more since no one can compete with them.

you were right up until that point. They have no reason to drop prices. At this point they'll have a monopoly.

They (the major 3) could do what they are doing on some games you buy used, they force you to buy the context online if you want to play the game you bought used.

I forget what game(s) that do that, but I have heard it happening.

Also, lowering prices could happen, look what they do now, there is a sale every month or two, and sometimes there are the new releases in them. Assassins creed origins comes to mind, out less than three weeks and they dropped the price for Black Friday sale.

Never will know for the simple reason, no one is going to stop buying used games or trading them in unless they quit making them to sell and forcing everyone to buy digital.

I've never been a fan of buying used games, and always figured physical games would come to an end someday.

Example, let's use Call of Duty, WW2,

$60 plus tax to buy the game to play, beat it and trade it in within a month, might get $35 in trade for it or more. Sony, MS and devs make money. Store makes very very little in sale.

The store resells it for $55, the store makes $55, Sony, MS and devs make nothing.

Repeat again, trade in for $25, they resell it for $50, again devs and Sony, MS make nothing.

Repeat again, trade in for $20, they resell it for $45, again devs and Sony, MS make nothing.

So the first sale helps Sony,MS and devs out and they get to split $60.

The store made $150 off the same game reselling it three more time, and the devs and Sony, MS made nothing.

$50. That's how much the second hand store makes selling it three times. You forgot to deduct buyback from the final number.
Taylor Swift is my Patronus.
http://wp.me/1EBnQ

User Info: JB514

JB514
10 months ago#68
I hoping soon

User Info: georgep001

georgep001
10 months ago#69
Rings posted...

I tried the beta good thing made me not purchase it terrible game don’t get the appeal.
Proud owner of Xbox One X

User Info: FlyEaglesFly24

FlyEaglesFly24
10 months ago#70
It is a thing now. The people that made and therefore own the game sell access to play it digitally.

You can totally do that too for your own game. You however can not ask the original owner of the digital license to buy it back from you, because in actually, it was never yours to begin with.
I just changed my signature because the Eagles won the Super Bowl!
-February 4th, 2018
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. when will selling digital games become a thing....
  • Topic Archived