I have a question about Microsofts DRM that got canned in 2013.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. I have a question about Microsofts DRM that got canned in 2013.

User Info: kingvortex

kingvortex
4 weeks ago#21
Qwert379 posted...
there was literally nothing good of a console that needed a check in, there are regions in the USA that still use dial up which does not work with xbox one, I can only imagine in countries with worse internet connectivity a check in would not even be possible

Their answer to this at the time was to stay on 360. The arrogance was astounding and was their undoing.

I basically decided to never buy an Xbox One after buying the OG Xbox and 360 on launch day. As it was, MS changed their plans and I eventually bought a One a couple of years after launch.
Meh

User Info: mcnichoj

mcnichoj
4 weeks ago#22
shotgunheadshot posted...
Did anyone like MIcrosofts whole intial plan?
We would have got game sharing.
Not to be confused with game share.
One is singular, the other is plural.
PSN/XBL/Steam: mcnichoj | Switch FC: Ask
"Wanting people to have full knowledge of the facts about a console makes you a fanboy."

User Info: MrSpaM111

MrSpaM111
4 weeks ago#23
kingvortex posted...
Babbit55 posted...
The idea was you check in to ensure you have the licence, but you can sell your digital (and physical game keys) across a digital market place,

No. That was never the plan.

Here is their actual intention: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/06/06/license/

You could share digital games with "family members", but couldn't resell them.

You could only resell physical games at participating retailers and only if the publisher allowed it.

Physical games could be given to friends, but only those on your friends list and only once.

Loaning games to friends and renting of games was gone.

Basically, the only good thing was the family access to games and they could have left that in for digital games if they wanted to.

Why are people insistent on romanticising Microsoft's plans on this? They weren't planning on reducing prices and weren't planning on some revolutionary digital marketplace to resell your digital games. They were basically trying to create a stranglehold on what you did with even physical games, they were found out and had to hurriedly backtrack.

And when you actually read up about that, you see that the family share feature was a time limited demo that asked you to pay full price for the game if you wanted to continue playing after a certain amount of hours, even if your other family member was playing on a console in the next room. Destroying the used game market for xbox would have enabled them to charge multiple times for games in your household, rather than you just being able to lend your family member a physical copy of the game.
"Exactly correct TC..."
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/66274628
(message deleted)

User Info: JohnHitman47

JohnHitman47
4 weeks ago#25
The 2013 xbox plan was the biggest cancer on gaming, the xbox comunitty make a stand and say no and ms change it, my respects for the xbox comunnity that say no and force ms to change.
"If a game gets a demo/trial that means the game its dead" Jason19192, in basic words, BF1,TF2,Overwatch,IW, Destiny are dead, Jason19192 logic.

User Info: Halo_Forever

Halo_Forever
4 weeks ago#26
kingvortex posted...
shotgunheadshot posted...
we would have Steam sales for cheaper games. Digital retail games would be much cheaper in the Xbox store than they are right now.

What makes you think this? There is no reason for them to drop prices if they have a monopoly.

The proposed DRM and removal of rights to resell physical games were a bad idea that rightly caused a backlash. If they had continued with it, I would not own an Xbox One now.

Ditto, I have four Xbox Ones now. Can you imagine the kind of hassle of screwing around with the licenses with that many consoles and several users. Instead it is just put the disc in and play.
Poet Eliot had it all wrong....

User Info: bob15x

bob15x
4 weeks ago#27
0TiamaT0 posted...
There was no good reason for them to have this plan to begin with. Especially considering what happened with Sony on the PS3 launch...

The fact that Microsoft executives thought people would actually accept DRM, no second-hand game sales and mandatory Kinect makes me wonder how they even got to those positions.

wrong.

the purpose of it was to allow digital trading, selling of games. The 24 hour check in was there to renew licenses or cancel them if you sold your digital game, that way you couldn't keep playing a game you sold forever.

its amazing how many people don't really understand what the real policies were.

User Info: bob15x

bob15x
4 weeks ago#28
kingvortex posted...
Qwert379 posted...
there was literally nothing good of a console that needed a check in, there are regions in the USA that still use dial up which does not work with xbox one, I can only imagine in countries with worse internet connectivity a check in would not even be possible

Their answer to this at the time was to stay on 360. The arrogance was astounding and was their undoing.

I basically decided to never buy an Xbox One after buying the OG Xbox and 360 on launch day. As it was, MS changed their plans and I eventually bought a One a couple of years after launch.

nope, you could not resell physical games, you could only sell every game on your system. it was actually better for you then it is now.

so before you comment, know what you are taking about first.

User Info: kingvortex

kingvortex
4 weeks ago#29
bob15x posted...
the purpose of it was to allow digital trading, selling of games. The 24 hour check in was there to renew licenses or cancel them if you sold your digital game, that way you couldn't keep playing a game you sold forever.

This is bulls***. They never said you could resell digital games. I linked the official page on licensing above and they only mention resale of physical games at approved retailers if the publisher allows it.

Here it is again: https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2013/06/06/license/

Read it.

its amazing how many people don't really understand what the real policies were.

It's amazing that people are inventing things that Microsoft never promised. The policy was a total f*** up from start to finish and didn't offer anything worthwhile to the consumer to offset the inconvenience and loss of rights over physical games.

nope, you could not resell physical games, you could only sell every game on your system. it was actually better for you then it is now.

You're talking s***. There was never any mention of reselling digital games. None.
Meh

User Info: Vivaldi7

Vivaldi7
4 weeks ago#30
And still you just watch them (be it ms sony or probably apple) try all this again ....be it in 5 yrs or 10...

They know they have time on their side as the netflix generation will someday outnumber the physical disc crowd by a significant margin.
---
"Saxon = joke account - I might put that in my sig." - MrXbox360_2012
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. I have a question about Microsofts DRM that got canned in 2013.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived