for those with an LG oled

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. for those with an LG oled

User Info: bob15x

bob15x
1 month ago#1
is there any downsides for it for gaming?

I heard they are not very bright but does the contrast make up for that when it comes to hdr

I have a ks8000 which is very bright.

how are they for motion? my tv is not that great.

I also heard about image retention or is that just blown out of proportion?

thanks,

User Info: NeoGeoXSega

NeoGeoXSega
1 month ago#2
They don't go as massively bright as LCDs, but they are much brighter than Plasma or DLP TV ever was.
So a good in between.

Motion res is the same as with most LCDs. There are no black trails though.

Image retention is not as bad as it was with plasma, but still there. The IR goes away within seconds when new content is displayed over it, unlike plasma, which took awhile for IR to go away.
I'm still using Glitches & downloading Saves! TRY & STOP ME GAMEFAQS!
http://i.minus.com/iB8tNWOJUBBtH.gif

User Info: Reflex-Arc

Reflex-Arc
1 month ago#3
Apart from the very real risk of burn in, I personally find my C7 to be the best gaming display I've ever owned. HDR highlights looks spectacular against the absolute black OLED is capable. Motion is great for gaming (no blur here). It's gets as bright as you'll ever need, unless you plan on gaming outside at high noon in a desert. Color is mind blowing. Its a great gaming display.

A word of warning. Near black uniformity on OLED panels is iffy. The vast majority will display some level of vertical banding or vignetting in near black (think 5%-10%) scenes. This is typically more pronounced on the 65" panels. It's generally not visible in most content, but it one of those things you can't under when you do notice it.

(A note to current owners who don't notice banding: Don't look for it. If you do want to look for it, there are tools available on YouTube. Just search OLED banding).
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | Sound Card | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard

User Info: bob15x

bob15x
1 month ago#4
Reflex-Arc posted...
Apart from the very real risk of burn in, I personally find my C7 to be the best gaming display I've ever owned. HDR highlights looks spectacular against the absolute black OLED is capable. Motion is great for gaming (no blur here). It's gets as bright as you'll ever need, unless you plan on gaming outside at high noon in a desert. Color is mind blowing. Its a great gaming display.

A word of warning. Near black uniformity on OLED panels is iffy. The vast majority will display some level of vertical banding or vignetting in near black (think 5%-10%) scenes. This is typically more pronounced on the 65" panels. It's generally not visible in most content, but it one of those things you can't under when you do notice it.

(A note to current owners who don't notice banding: Don't look for it. If you do want to look for it, there are tools available on YouTube. Just search OLED banding).

my ks8000 is unbelievably bad for that.

the reason i ask is my secondary tv in my computer room stop working, it just turns on and off on its own so i could replace that or spend a bit extra and get an oled in main room and move the samsung to the secondary.

the new 2018 look interesting and they say the colour and sharpness is noticeably better which is hard to believe.

the lower level of sony tvs are crap and the highers are the same price as a oled right now, and samsung i find can be hit and miss. some of them have this weird issue that when you pan, the screen goes a couple shades darker until you stop then it goes brighter again.

User Info: Reflex-Arc

Reflex-Arc
1 month ago#5
That's my only gripe about my TV, visually speaking. I don't see any banding 90% of the time, but when I do it's like a punch in the gut. Maybe the reason it bugs me so much is because it's so frigging amazing looking otherwise. :p
Case | Mother Board | CPU (OC'd!) | Video Card x 2 | Sound Card | RAM | PSU | SSD | HDD | Some Fans | Monitor | Mouse | Keyboard

User Info: Alnilam81

Alnilam81
1 month ago#6
I don't mean to sound patronizing but is your KS8000 in game mode? I have a UK KS7000 (which is a US KS8000) and it wouldn't say it's bad for motion.

User Info: ThanosSupreme

ThanosSupreme
1 month ago#7
it's literally one of the best in motion for gaming using game mode. the HDR is pretty bright on the C7 LG OLED tv as long as you don't have it on energy saving mode.

what I do is turn off energy save mode while playing then turn it back on later

they also have pixel refresher to do maintenance for when you're not using it

like reflex said it's one of the best pictures you will get in gaming hands down. and OLD 4K tv is the parfect match for an Xbox One X
"That's how I determine which one to buy.No moved goalposts for me whichever one outperforms the other wins." - quincy2000a

User Info: ThanosSupreme

ThanosSupreme
1 month ago#8
the true blacks it processes are amazing if you play a game that turns into night time like ARK or something it really does look dark and can't see very far like in real life

i ccompared the true blacks to my other 1080p tv and it just destroyed it on how good it looks
"That's how I determine which one to buy.No moved goalposts for me whichever one outperforms the other wins." - quincy2000a

User Info: TBONE_OG

TBONE_OG
1 month ago#9
I have the LG C7 55 inch. And at times I'd say it's too bright when playing HDR. However, HDR game mode? That is too dark. LG released a patch and screwed the pooch on that one. Hope they fix/update it soon.

But yes, the tv is phenomenal.
Always O.G.

User Info: devnull520

devnull520
1 month ago#10
Not very bright? Try playing Rise of the Tomb Raider while exiting from a cave to daylight and we'll see.

I own the C7 55" - so far no regrets.It looks awesome.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. for those with an LG oled

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived