Is 18 Mbps download speed good enough for FPS gaming on Xbox One?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Is 18 Mbps download speed good enough for FPS gaming on Xbox One?

User Info: Estocassassin

Estocassassin
3 months ago#21
people clearly have no idea what they are talking about here, them numbers are not really speeds but load values... and the amount of data sent during online play on any game is pretty minuscule. It is the ping that matters and only that.

So yes, if download times aren’t a priority for you and you want a cheaper connection then you should switch
red Apheriun will destroy you all
Go visit the magic 2015 X1 board lets get it popping!!!

User Info: BadBoyzFastToyz

BadBoyzFastToyz
3 months ago#22
Xbox limits what the upload speed is anyway. Doesn't matter if you have 150 Mbps upload, Xbox only will use around 4-7 Mbps upload.

Only reason I know this is I called Xbox to ask the question when I was setting up my system and wondered how much I needed.

Sony does the same thing, they limit around 5-7 Mbps upload.

So you will be fine.
"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not". ~ Andre Gide

User Info: AWarAmp84

AWarAmp84
3 months ago#23
Rand_Aybara posted...
That's more than enough
"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand. Most people listen with the intent to reply."

User Info: leelee3105

leelee3105
3 months ago#24
kryptin posted...
I have 3mb down and I don't seem to have any problems. I play with a real life friend often over live and I'm always asking if it looks like I'm lagging or causing any issues and he always says no.

leelee3105 posted...
yes, but youll never be able to play anything because youll never finish downloading the patches

I have 272 games installed and I seem to keep my patches up to date just fine with only 3mb download speed. Most patches are not that big. There are only a few games where it can be a pain. Even with it so slow, according to the xbox bandwidth tracking, I download about 750gb a month. A lot of that is new games, not just patches.

at that speed it will take you days to download some of the multi GB day one patches. i know from my days in the great nation of Djibouti. remember 3 is your MAX
7 November 2017 known as the day of SALT on pony island
GT= ScottTHEscammeR Xbox One X makes ponies sad

User Info: helIy

helIy
3 months ago#25
you absolutely cannot play multi-player games with satellite internet.

your ping will be in the hundreds.
"Dogs smell like they've had too much fun and need a bath
Cats smell like espionage
" - Mead

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
3 months ago#26
helIy posted...
you absolutely cannot play multi-player games with satellite internet.

your ping will be in the hundreds.

Play CoD then....they seem to give priority to the players with the worst connection.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)

User Info: helIy

helIy
3 months ago#27
i'm thinking more towards that the ping will be so terrible that the console wont even be able to connect to the live service.

and then even if it does, you're at the mercy of cloud coverage.

satellite internet is 100% useless.
"Dogs smell like they've had too much fun and need a bath
Cats smell like espionage
" - Mead

User Info: Orange_Apples

Orange_Apples
3 months ago#28
Ping is more important than speed.
"They'll pay for this." - Mickey Mouse

User Info: GinsuVictim

GinsuVictim
3 months ago#29
helIy posted...
i'm thinking more towards that the ping will be so terrible that the console wont even be able to connect to the live service.

and then even if it does, you're at the mercy of cloud coverage.

satellite internet is 100% useless.

Yeah, I was just making a joke about how CoD handles horrible connections.
I'M RUNNIN' THIS MONKEY FARM NOW, FRANKENSTEIN!!! - Capt. Rhodes, Day of the Dead (1985)

User Info: Solis

Solis
3 months ago#30
Bandwidth has virtually no impact on online gameplay. Most games use very minimal amounts of bandwidth, and especially upload speed is nearly irrelevant unless you're the host in games. Latency (as well as latency consistency) and packet loss are the biggest factors. Otherwise, most games would be fully playable with just a 1/1mbps connection.

That's also the reason that satellite is absolutely not suitable for online games: the bandwidth is fine, but the latency is horrible.
"Walking tanks must exist somewhere for there to be such attention to detail like this in mech sim." - IGN Steel Battalion review
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Is 18 Mbps download speed good enough for FPS gaming on Xbox One?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived