Xbox One X Is an 8.5 Generation Console, PS4 Pro Is A Marketing Gimmick

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Xbox One X Is an 8.5 Generation Console, PS4 Pro Is A Marketing Gimmick

User Info: Technarchy

Technarchy
3 months ago#1
An industry analyst speaks poorly of the PS4 Pro in comparison to the Xbox One X, referring to it as a "Gimmick."

Lewis Ward, IDC’s Research Director states: “Pro is mostly a marketing gimmick,” he said, when asked about the question of a PS5 rather than further iterative upgrades from Sony. “It’s nothing like Xbox One X in terms of the performance lift."

Read more at https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-x-is-8-5-generation-console-ps4-pro-is-a-marketing-gimmick-idc-analyst#Z6vUi2TqwU7HF2dj.99

I personally wouldn't refer to it as a gimmick, but it is too expensive at $399 when you consider how massively underpowered the PS4 Pro is compared to the $499 Xbox One X. It makes much more sense at $349 or less. PS4 Pro is the only Playstation I would consider at this stage.

At $499, the Xbox One X has approximately 30% more computational power than the PS4 Pro at $399.

User Info: Estocassassin

Estocassassin
3 months ago#2
I’m not sure I would call the PS4 pro a gimmick either but a half arsed job for sure. Don’t think they were fully expecting Microsoft to come out swinging like they did
red Apheriun will destroy you all
Go visit the magic 2015 X1 board lets get it popping!!!

User Info: wildstrike1516

wildstrike1516
3 months ago#3
Estocassassin posted...
I’m not sure I would call the PS4 pro a gimmick either but a half arsed job for sure. Don’t think they were fully expecting Microsoft to come out swinging like they did

I think this was a desperate "we have to do something to match them" play. I call that a gimmick.
"the PS1 and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?" - Jim Ryan, Sony Interactive Entertainment

User Info: uptown710

uptown710
3 months ago#4
Technarchy posted...
An industry analyst speaks poorly of the PS4 Pro in comparison to the Xbox One X, referring to it as a "Gimmick."

Lewis Ward, IDC’s Research Director states: “Pro is mostly a marketing gimmick,” he said, when asked about the question of a PS5 rather than further iterative upgrades from Sony. “It’s nothing like Xbox One X in terms of the performance lift."

Read more at https://gamingbolt.com/xbox-one-x-is-8-5-generation-console-ps4-pro-is-a-marketing-gimmick-idc-analyst#Z6vUi2TqwU7HF2dj.99

I personally wouldn't refer to it as a gimmick, but it is too expensive at $399 when you consider how massively underpowered the PS4 Pro is compared to the $499 Xbox One X. It makes much more sense at $349 or less. PS4 Pro is the only Playstation I would consider at this stage.

At $499, the Xbox One X has approximately 30% more computational power than the PS4 Pro at $399.

I don’t think anyone is really looking at this from both angles. I’m really interested in how much of a loss MS is taking on each 1X cause while customers are gaining on that price point, they surely are not.

Which further muddles the future. Just how many units are they expecting to move within a year for it to be a “success”? While I’m not a fan of either machine, I’m pretty sure the Pro is either making a profit per sale or very little loss.

Smh both of these machines are stupid.
"XBone: not for soldiers or Japanese. or astronauts. didn't you know?" - Vorzal

User Info: redditon4chan

redditon4chan
3 months ago#5
They need to lower the cost of the Pro.

That's for sure.
10-9-8-7-triple 6-5-forked tongue. NN/PSN/XBL - redditon4chan

User Info: mike468

mike468
3 months ago#6
Well it's Sony's own fault. They bit off more than they could chew and got the Scorpio rolling. This whole thing started based on a 2 year old IGN article that said Sony was considering releasing a more powerful PS4.

MS ran with that, that they needed to put out a more powerful Console, especially when the original XBO was already under powered in comparison to the base PS4.

Sony was the one who touched off this arms race for more power, and they got burned.
Triggered fanboys,make the internet go round. In the most disgusting way

User Info: CommonSense

CommonSense
3 months ago#7
It seems desperate....

Sony always seems desperate though.
"Not going to read through this whole thread" - Gamefaqs Moderator Pitaya

User Info: Crazen16

Crazen16
3 months ago#8
wildstrike1516 posted...
Estocassassin posted...

I think this was a desperate "we have to do something to match them" play. I call that a gimmick.

I believe Sony thought Microsoft would just seek to match the power of the ps4, they hoped they could cut them off by releasing a slightly upgraded Ps4, a system that would continue to edge out Microsoft. It would have been a great plan had it worked especially at 400 dollars.

It would have been launch day all over again but they didn't anticipate Microsoft shooting so much higher.
The only one who can fool me is me and i did it once and i don't know why but dammit he must have had it coming!

User Info: Technarchy

Technarchy
3 months ago#9
uptown710 posted...
Technarchy posted...

I don’t think anyone is really looking at this from both angles. I’m really interested in how much of a loss MS is taking on each 1X cause while customers are gaining on that price point, they surely are not.

Which further muddles the future. Just how many units are they expecting to move within a year for it to be a “success”? While I’m not a fan of either machine, I’m pretty sure the Pro is either making a profit per sale or very little loss.

As a consumer, I really don't care if Sony and MSFT beat each other to death in a price war. As consumers, we actually want this to happen.

Not sure why this is a concern to you at all.

User Info: uptown710

uptown710
3 months ago#10
Technarchy posted...
uptown710 posted...
Technarchy posted...

As a consumer, I really don't care if Sony and MSFT beat each other to death in a price war. As consumers, we actually want this to happen.

Not sure why this is a concern to you at all.

It should be your concern because if they aren’t making that money up somewhere the machine gets dropped. Simple as that. It’s just like when Sony put out the PS3 at $600. They were taking a pretty big hit per unit and had to strip the machine down. Rather quickly at that. This is further complicated by the fact that having two machines in the same ecosystem means you’re crippling your own sales in a way.

This is why Sony isn’t in any rush to drop the pro price. In comparison to the 1X they most likely aren’t taking a hit to the wallet.
"XBone: not for soldiers or Japanese. or astronauts. didn't you know?" - Vorzal
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Xbox One X Is an 8.5 Generation Console, PS4 Pro Is A Marketing Gimmick

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived