2017 - The Year of Crony Business Practices in Gaming

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. 2017 - The Year of Crony Business Practices in Gaming

User Info: bigboyhowdy2

bigboyhowdy2
4 months ago#1
We've seen unfinished games at full price (or more), pay to win lootboxes, misleading xp gain numbers and more.

One thing is for certain, the industry isn't quite as quirky and innocent as it used to be.

Heres to hoping 2018 will bring with it more honest developers.
XBL GT: AstroLord09

User Info: kholdstare04

kholdstare04
4 months ago#2
dont forget pay to play a preview game LOL

User Info: ExempliGratia

ExempliGratia
4 months ago#3
kholdstare04 posted...

That's been happening since 2016. Maybe even before.

You're late as f***.
Xbox Live Gamertag :ExempliGratiaEGPSN/Vita::ExempliGratia
Trolls love me but, can't get rid of me

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
4 months ago#4
And what do you mean by that, precisely?

I see CDP Red touted as a saint in the industry because of The Witcher 3, but that game was a massive loss leader overall, with large losses taken during development in order to garner positive PR with the masses.

EA, on the other hand, sit on the opposite end of the spectrum, having been through the exact same process (if you'll recall, EA used to be the golden child in the fourth traditional console generation because of this exact same pattern).

Gamers expect an unbearably high standard from games, yet are unwilling to make any compromises. You can give them £150 million game and they refuse to spend more than £30 on it, nor can stand microtransactions, nor DLC packs, nor special editions, nor any other infringement on the overall "give me without me giving" scenario.

Just remember that there are martyrs and pariahs. Companies play the long game and understand they may have to be the villain to survive if it means propagating the status quo.

Are you willing to accept a higher RRP on games? Or that pervasive DLC is the way forward? If not, then "only looking to the honest ones" is an incredibly short-term endeavour.

I'm not attacking you by the way, I'm just bringing up a culmination of what I see day in, day out. As a person who has worked in both AAA development and independent development (and now I have my own indie team), the naivety I see is both overwhelming and frustrating. I am also a consumer. I know how this works. But in any other parallel industry, this would have collapsed as a model by this point. This is why I wholeheartedly welcome the Netflix/Gamepass model - it's at least thinking about the long game.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: kholdstare04

kholdstare04
4 months ago#5
ExempliGratia posted...
kholdstare04 posted...

You're late as f***.

what other games have done that? also did you really had to curse to make you look like a total badass?

User Info: Winternova

Winternova
4 months ago#6
bigboyhowdy2 posted...
2017 - The Year of Crony Business Practices in Gaming

Crony: a close friend or companion.

So it's been "The Year of Close Friend Business Practices in Gaming"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm just alt-write. RIP Tori. You will be missed.

User Info: ExempliGratia

ExempliGratia
4 months ago#7
kholdstare04 posted...
ExempliGratia posted...
kholdstare04 posted...

You're late as f***.

what other games have done that? also did you really had to curse to make you look like a total badass?

I curse because I want to curse. I'm not looking to be a bad ass on the internet. I'm typing how I speak. If you think I'm a bad ass then thanks?

Have you been under a rock? This paying to play a preview has been a thing..... Was Ark free? This pay to play a game before it comes out isn't something brand new.

Get the f*** over it.
Xbox Live Gamertag :ExempliGratiaEGPSN/Vita::ExempliGratia
Trolls love me but, can't get rid of me

User Info: AltiarLio

AltiarLio
4 months ago#8
No game we got this year was unfinished lmao.

If anything 2017 was the year of great franchises finding thier feet again.

COD, Battlefront*, Tekken, Ghost Recon, Forza, Assassins Creed just to name a few great titles.
GT & Steam: Tyron3L1o. PSN: TyroneLio.
I enjoy video games and shoes, mainly shoes.

User Info: satoes

satoes
4 months ago#9
@AltiarLio Assassins Creed and Tekken is trash and always have been also about unfinished games Mass Effect Andromeda wasn't even started lnao

User Info: AltiarLio

AltiarLio
4 months ago#10
satoes posted...
@AltiarLio Assassins Creed and Tekken is trash and always have been also about unfinished games Mass Effect Andromeda wasn't even started lnao

Bad animations don’t make or break a game.

Andromeda is a great game but a poor mass effect title.
GT & Steam: Tyron3L1o. PSN: TyroneLio.
I enjoy video games and shoes, mainly shoes.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. 2017 - The Year of Crony Business Practices in Gaming

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived