Overreaction to Star Wars controversy publishers should raise prices

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Overreaction to Star Wars controversy publishers should raise prices

User Info: Sith Jedi

Sith Jedi
5 months ago#61
Fun fact, the guy who that article is quoting is an investor analyst for none other than EA:

https://imgur.com/gallery/VpdEe

User Info: Bumbleoni

Bumbleoni
5 months ago#62
Sith Jedi posted...
Fun fact, the guy who that article is quoting is an investor analyst for none other than EA:

https://imgur.com/gallery/VpdEe

https://i.imgur.com/ZjzhO8m.gif
GT: Bumbleoni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLfO738Ok5Y

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
5 months ago#63
AnonymousFriend posted...
I'd be fine with a fifteen to twenty dollar increase. Whenever i fo buy a game at launch, i generally go for the all DLC included version anyway.

The problem is that most gaming consumers have proven that they will buy into microtransaction scheme. It was novel back in 2012 with the Mass Effect multiplayer. Then quickly grew into a nightmare with Destiny's Eververse. Destiny 2 actually has it in a good place.

I have no problem with selling me something specific. If i want it that bad, I'll pony up and buy it. What i don't like is selling me a chance at getting something i want. In the back of my mind, I'll always question if the rate of acquisition who be better if you weren't also trying to convince me to spend money on it.

This whole debacle with EA and Battlefront has at least brought microtransactions and lootboxes to the fore front. I just hope we can end up in a better place and not just a shimmy to the side.

I like this post. You're not hyperbolic - though I love me some hyperbole, in this instance rational thinking goes a long way.

I too believe we've just hit critical mass with this type of AAA, bloated experience's reliance on microtransactions to the point where it's pervading the actual game. EA is probably the most egregious and aggressive of the pushers - they jostle in hard with securing exorbitantly expensive licences like Star Wars and put themselves into heavy negative equity from the very start. Assuming loss leadership will be recouped in the longer term, they spend like nobody's business assuming that the consumer will adopt the DLC as a core element of the game.

And yet, therein lies the issue - the microtransactions can only really work if they do not completely permeate the main experience. Though they must exist in order to offset the costs of the main game (which places the company into a loss), where they exist is an entirely different matter. If it's on the periphery of the main game, such as costume packs or extra missions, it's obviously less intrusive and corrupt than a fighting game where you pay £3 to make your punches 2x stronger.

But yeah - it's all about that tradeoff. Do you pay more at RRP to take away a publisher's excuse to utilise and implement DLC as a loss-recoup strategy, accept that loot boxes are here to stay and keep our current RRP, or take a hit in quality?

I think, sadly, based on previous answers, most people are unrealistically answering "none of the above".

As a pure aside, I actually think, morally at the very least, Nintendo's Amiibos are a shrewd way of implementing optional content. Unlike most DLC packs, they exist in a realm that actually absolves them from any "blame", because they're also collectibles. So if Nintendo was ever slammed for being a part of the "DLC shakedown", they could feign ignorance that way.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.

User Info: projectpat72988

projectpat72988
5 months ago#64
Why would raising the games prices 10-20 dollars fix this problem? As if that's all they want you to be spending extra anyways? Take a look at Shark cards.

Publishers like oh heck YEAH we will raise prices.....and sell you more microtransactions.

User Info: Winternova

Winternova
5 months ago#65
projectpat72988 posted...
Why would raising the games prices 10-20 dollars fix this problem? As if that's all they want you to be spending extra anyways? Take a look at Shark cards.

Publishers like oh heck YEAH we will raise prices.....and sell you more microtransactions.

Gaining $15-20 of revenue on EVERY sale is a bit better than relying on a few whales to pay for a ton of microtransactions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMKUUUvjjzo
I'm not a grammar Nazi. I'm just alt-write. RIP Tori. You will be missed.

User Info: mike468

mike468
5 months ago#66
Winternova posted...

Gaining $15-20 of revenue on EVERY sale is a bit better than relying on a few whales to pay for a ton of microtransactions.

In theory yes, but we all know game developers/publishers want thier cake and to eat to too. They'd jack up the price and end up still keeping micro-transactions regardless.

Remember most of the big game publishers are also publicly traded companies, so thier number 1 priority is to thier stock holders, not gamers.
Triggered fanboys,make the internet go round. In the most disgusting way

User Info: projectpat72988

projectpat72988
5 months ago#67
Winternova posted...

The idea of microtransactions is to hopefully make you never quit spending money on the game. Okay lets be realistic. Maybe if the games prices increases to 200 dollars. That would only obliterate their sales. They want to sell their game at 60 illusions and all and still sell you micro later. Price increases wouldn't stop that and a price increase of a certain amount would be good for no one involved.

Lets see if Rockstar would be interested in getting rid of their 100 dollar Shark cards because of a 15 dollar increase in price to buy the game...

Come on...

User Info: Trugamer

Trugamer
5 months ago#68
Yeah raise prices in a flooded marketplace that now has tons of free to play games that sounds like a great plan

User Info: lunaticcore

lunaticcore
5 months ago#69
We should just set up a special charity for these developers that shills can donate directly to.
Endless Metroid month.. Samus Returns HYPE... Come watch us playthrough Super Metroid, Zero Mission, AM2R and Metroid Fusion. http://bit.ly/2vlfYbS

User Info: SigmaLongshot

SigmaLongshot
5 months ago#70
mike468 posted...
Winternova posted...

In theory yes, but we all know game developers/publishers want thier cake and to eat to too. They'd jack up the price and end up still keeping micro-transactions regardless.

Remember most of the big game publishers are also publicly traded companies, so thier number 1 priority is to thier stock holders, not gamers.

Bear in mind that by raising the RRP you'd undercut the publishers' reasons for microtransactions being an absolute fiscal necessity for the bottom line - they wouldn't be. Of course, cheekier publishers would attempt to keep DLC in, but the backlash would dictate how far they could take it.

Just like EA is experiencing with the violent recoil from Battlefront and Payback's unbelievably pervasive practices, the consumers will dictate the tolerance point. In fact just seeing how far it's taken for there to be a boycott shows how tolerant the average gamer is of the average microtransaction.

And as another poster noted, making a loss on the £50 product and making up the money with a plethora of microtransactions is logically riskier, but as the past has shown, infinitely more profitable for publishers than simply raising the RRP of the base product and removing add-on buys.

I, for one, like removing the ambiguity and just raising the prices across the board. That way you get your game and (theoretically) you don't have the fuss of all the intrusive microtransactions that may or may not enhance my game overall.
XB1/XB360/Wii U: TotoMimo PS4: Gooey_Toto/SigmaLongshot
A decade working in AAA game development? Time certainly flies.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Overreaction to Star Wars controversy publishers should raise prices

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived