Microsoft should utilize the $40 price point for more games like Sony.

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Microsoft should utilize the $40 price point for more games like Sony.

User Info: DvoloS88

DvoloS88
10 months ago#61
Hvv0l24n9 posted...
what are all of these IPs we're even talking about here?

PS4
Knack
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Horizon
Bloodborne
Detroit
Until Dawn

XB1
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
ReCore
Project Spark
Screamride
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale

You may wanna disregard Super Lucky's Tale, but I'd hardly call Death Stranding and Bloodborne risks, so...

Three on that ps4 list are interactive movies, just saying.
"Let The Boy Watch"

User Info: Billo

Billo
10 months ago#62
MachineZed posted...
Billo posted...
Hvv0l24n9 posted...

PS4
Knack
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Horizon
Bloodborne
Detroit
Until Dawn

XB1
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
ReCore
Project Spark
Screamride
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale

You may wanna disregard Super Lucky's Tale, but I'd hardly call Death Stranding and Bloodborne risks, so...

Ryse is a crytek IP, Sunset Overdrive belongs to Insomniac, not sure who Lucky tale belongs to but it's a game that's been on PC for a while so definitely isn't a MS thing, and Project Spark hasn't been a thing for a long time.
Here's the actual list:
MS Studios:(7 IPs)
Quantum Break
Recore
Sea of Thieves
Crimson Dragon
Ori and the Blind Forest
Screamride
KALIMBA

Sony:(27 IPs)
Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian
Detroit: Become Human
Dreams
Until Dawn
Driveclub
The Order 1886
Knack
Death Stranding
Days Gone
The Tomorrow Children
WiLD
What Remains of Edith Finch
Everybody's gone to the Rapture
Drawn to Death
Kill strain
Alienation
Matterfall
Bound
Helldivers
Resogun
Hohokum
Guns Up
Entwined
CounterSpy
Here They Lie

Wow did you really just move the goal posts to remove games just like that?
Your previous statement was Sony funds move new IPs. Not buys them. MS did intact fund Sunset overdrive and Ryse, regardless of who actually owns the IP.

We don't know who assumed how much of the risk in those cases. Crytek and Insomniac had more to lose if the games didn't pan out, which they didn't. Sony paid funded the development of Street Fighter V, Nintendo funded the development of Bayonetta 2, but they don't get credit for those games, just exclusivity rights.

In case of IP ownership, we know that the game completely belongs to the publisher and they hired an independent studio to make it for them, but if the studio owns the IP then we don't know what the deal is they may have only paid part of the budget, enough to ensure exclusivity for the game.

Billo
10 months ago#63
Hvv0l24n9 posted...
pobbes posted...
Didn't bother commenting about it earlier but when that guy brought up a list I knew he was going to regret it lol

Huh? I don't regret it at all. I listed retail games because who's to say how indies work out.

All he did was move goalposts as Zed said. The discussion wasn't about who owns what. And it wasn't about what's STILL available. Project Spark was still an investment and I can still play it. Hell, he removed Project Spark but included The Tomorrow Children despite it getting shut down as well.

It's not shutdown yet, I will remove it once it does.

User Info: LandfillAO

LandfillAO
10 months ago#64
shotgunheadshot posted...
Foxx3k posted...
shotgunheadshot posted...
videogame pricing is all wrong, Games should costs $40 tops. It doesn't costs much to make games.

I agree. The government should really step in and mandate that these company's shall not have an operating profit above 5% annually.

The government should step in and stop these athletes in sports from making millions of dollars.

Ikr, they should get minimum wage for all the billions of dollars they generate for their cities/states/nation, teams, leagues, venues, cable companies, surrounding businesses, branding and charities.

Please never go anywhere near the economy.

User Info: sexbone

sexbone
10 months ago#65
wait how come sony sold some of their games $40?
don't they fear losing profit?
sexbox one by micro&soft : always on, connected,and watching.Doesn't do 180.voice coms: sexbox turn on, sexbox watch AV, sexbox my home.Yes, i'm a sexboner.

Billo
10 months ago#66
sexbone posted...
wait how come sony sold some of their games $40?
don't they fear losing profit?

Sony doesn't make games for profit, games are just a way for them to get more people to buy a PlayStation. Their profits come from the 30% cut they get from all the 3rd party games sold on their platform.

Sony Worldwide Studios President has explained their model in an interview, check it out:
http://www.dualshockers.com/shuhei-yoshida-only-four-out-of-ten-playstation-games-make-money-but-sony-will-always-support-talent/

User Info: Hvv0l24n9

Hvv0l24n9
10 months ago#67
Billo posted...
MachineZed posted...
Billo posted...
Hvv0l24n9 posted...

PS4
Knack
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Horizon
Bloodborne
Detroit
Until Dawn

XB1
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
ReCore
Project Spark
Screamride
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale

Ryse is a crytek IP, Sunset Overdrive belongs to Insomniac, not sure who Lucky tale belongs to but it's a game that's been on PC for a while so definitely isn't a MS thing, and Project Spark hasn't been a thing for a long time.
Here's the actual list:
Quantum Break
Recore
Sea of Thieves
Crimson Dragon
Ori and the Blind Forest
Screamride
KALIMBA

Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian
Dreams
Until Dawn
Driveclub
The Order 1886
Knack
Death Stranding
Days Gone
The Tomorrow Children
WiLD
Drawn to Death
Kill strain
Alienation
Matterfall
Bound
Helldivers
Resogun
Hohokum
Guns Up
Entwined
CounterSpy
Here They Lie

Your previous statement was Sony funds move new IPs. Not buys them. MS did intact fund Sunset overdrive and Ryse, regardless of who actually owns the IP.

We don't know who assumed how much of the risk in those cases. Crytek and Insomniac had more to lose if the games didn't pan out, which they didn't. Sony paid funded the development of Street Fighter V, Nintendo funded the development of Bayonetta 2, but they don't get credit for those games, just exclusivity rights.

In case of IP ownership, we know that the game completely belongs to the publisher and they hired an independent studio to make it for them, but if the studio owns the IP then we don't know what the deal is they may have only paid part of the budget, enough to ensure exclusivity for the game.

They wouldn't get credit for them in this discussion because they aren't new IPs. And you don't even know how much Sony had to do with SF5. At least with Bayo we know that Sega wasn't having it.

And that isn't how IP ownership always works.

Really, you're moving goalposts.
PSN: Iquan_5 XBL: VASH Iquan
Hey...would you say I became a hero?

Billo
10 months ago#68
Hvv0l24n9 posted...
Billo posted...
MachineZed posted...
Billo posted...
Hvv0l24n9 posted...

PS4
Knack
Days Gone
Death Stranding
Horizon
Bloodborne
Detroit
Until Dawn

XB1
Ryse
Sunset Overdrive
Quantum Break
ReCore
Project Spark
Screamride
Sea of Thieves
Super Lucky's Tale

Here's the actual list:
Quantum Break
Recore
Sea of Thieves
Crimson Dragon
Ori and the Blind Forest
Screamride
KALIMBA

Bloodborne
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Last Guardian
Dreams
Until Dawn
Driveclub
The Order 1886
Knack
Death Stranding
Days Gone
The Tomorrow Children
WiLD
Drawn to Death
Kill strain
Alienation
Matterfall
Bound
Helldivers
Resogun
Hohokum
Guns Up
Entwined
CounterSpy
Here They Lie

They wouldn't get credit for them in this discussion because they aren't new IPs. And you don't even know how much Sony had to do with SF5. At least with Bayo we know that Sega wasn't having it.

And that isn't how IP ownership always works.

Really, you're moving goalposts.

I know how IP ownership works. A company files the trademark for the game and says whatever happens good or bad it's on us. That's why that company gets the credit for the title. Insomniac and Crytek took on that responsibility for SO and Ryse, giving the credit to MS is unfair to those companies. No IP ownership=No credit, it's the law.

User Info: Hvv0l24n9

Hvv0l24n9
10 months ago#69
Billo posted...
I know how IP ownership works. A company files the trademark for the game and says whatever happens good or bad it's on us. That's why that company gets the credit for the title. Insomniac and Crytek took on that responsibility for SO and Ryse, giving the credit to MS is unfair to those companies. No IP ownership=No credit, it's the law.

That isn't what I was referring to, but even that is bulls***.
PSN: Iquan_5 XBL: VASH Iquan
Hey...would you say I became a hero?

Billo
10 months ago#70
Hvv0l24n9 posted...
Billo posted...

That isn't what I was referring to, but even that is bulls***.

What's bulls*** is you trying to give MS the credit for risks taken by other companies. Either way though this is needless argument, it's not like a couple games being present or absent from MS' list changes the fact that their new IP output is pitiful in comparison.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Microsoft should utilize the $40 price point for more games like Sony.

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived