What is the truth on 4k HDMI cables?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. What is the truth on 4k HDMI cables?

User Info: DigitalFury_

DigitalFury_
1 year ago#11
Yep.... Don't spend more than a few bucks on HDMI cables. They all do exactly the same thing
Boston Bruins/Boston Red Sox/New England Patriots/Minnesota Wild <-- Wait, what...? For real.

User Info: Darth Stalin

Darth Stalin
1 year ago#12
There are no HDMI 2.0 or 4K HDMI cables. However, you should be using 18 Gbps bandwidth cables for 4K HDR.
XBL Tag- Cruxis Mithos |Steam, PSN & NNID- Cruxis_Mithos
AMD FX 8350 | Powercolor R9 390 | Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM | Corsair RM850i | Corsair 780T Case

User Info: PUERTOxROCK

PUERTOxROCK
1 year ago#13
knightmere122 posted...
You say HDMI 2.0 cables are unnecessary but then don't complain when your 4K Blu Ray downscales to 1080p due to the lack of bandwidth.

Any HDMI Cable that is rated "HIGH SPEED" will have all the bandwidth you need for anything 4K/60fps...

The hardware changed...NOT the cables....as long as they are rated high speed you're good...

Here is a link for all those that question the facts...

https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide

User Info: PUERTOxROCK

PUERTOxROCK
1 year ago#14
PUERTOxROCK posted...
knightmere122 posted...
You say HDMI 2.0 cables are unnecessary but then don't complain when your 4K Blu Ray downscales to 1080p due to the lack of bandwidth.

Any HDMI Cable that is rated "HIGH SPEED" will have all the bandwidth you need for anything 4K/60fps...

The hardware changed...NOT the cables....as long as they are rated high speed you're good...

Here is a link for all those that question the facts...

https://turbofuture.com/computers/do-i-need-hdmi-cable-4k-hdmi-20-guide

Conclusion: No need for a 4K HDMI Cable if you choose High Speed

Don’t let you fool by shops or cable merchants with expensive HDMI 2.0 Cables or “4K HDMI Cables”. There is no such thing and there never will be! Just go for a reasonable HDMI High Speed Cable and save your money. High Speed Cables provide 100% compatibility for now and for future HDMI 2.0 contents. The display quality is all the same. You don’t need any new fancy cable hardware

User Info: TXGUY147

TXGUY147
1 year ago#15
Thanks guys, just got ordered me some from monoprice after these responses and talking to the monoprice rep on the phone. http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024021&p_id=15428&seq=1&format=2 . I ordered these, he said the best they have unless i got for a much farther distance like over 20-25 feet.

User Info: Supernautus

Supernautus
1 year ago#16
HDMI 2.0 is the connector standard on the TV and source. Initially when 4K came about the standard HDMI connectors could only display 4k at 30FPS, but now most 4k TVs come with hdmi 2.0 as standard (allowing 60fps and above). As far as cables go, for full 4k you do need to make sure you're buying a cable labelled as "High speed" (which to be honest the majority of HDMi cables are now anyway) because they do have a higher transfer rate to ensure no juddering or freezing in the image. Just like if you're trying to play 4k through a USB 2 connection rather than USB3. High speed cabling does not need to be expensive, you can probably get one for next to nothing. Cable length can become a factor if you need to run the cable a long distance, but I would imagine most people have their console right by the TV anyway.

However, one thing to note, there are not currently ANY games on any of the current consoles which will actually be 4k, yes a 4k TV can upscale, but that's not going to produce true 4k, the xbox one s, at the moment, will only be showing video content in 4k when the video source is 4k, not games.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. What is the truth on 4k HDMI cables?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived