• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Is there any reason to have UPnP enabled if I'm wired?

User Info: kaMMakaZZi29

kaMMakaZZi29
5 years ago#1
Seems I finally got my Xbox One working online after going wired with a switch. Was still having a bit of issues and noticed that my NAT was Strict with UPnP enabled in my router but stays Open with UPnP disabled.

My PS3 connects fine too but will of course now say UPnP not available in the internet connection test since I disabled it. The question is, is UPnP mostly a feature to help people using wireless setups? Will it affect any gaming experiences not having it enabled? Will it affect my brothers Roku/Netflix which he has wifi in another room?
Steam: kaMMakaZZi9
PSN: kaMMakaZZi9 / XBL: kaMMakaZZi29

User Info: Fustmonkey

Fustmonkey
5 years ago#2
I see you finally posted your modem and router model numbers... thanks. Been trying to help you for weeks now.
Looks like that should be ok, though that is a Docsis 2 modem and you should probably get a Docsis 3 modem....

I would suggest resetting the router do default settings and disable any static IP addresses that you made on your xbox and leave UPNP enabled.

UPNP has absolutely nothing to do with wireless vs wired. Do you have more than one Xbox? Maybe an Xbox one and an Xbox 360? Or two Xbox Ones?
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"

User Info: kinco360

kinco360
5 years ago#3
If you don't want to manually assign everything, yes. As Fustmonkey said, it has nothing to do with being wired or wireless.
I never get modded for calling out trolls/blind idiot fanboys.

kaMMakaZZi29
5 years ago#4
I have just my One and PS3 now; the 360 is back in it's box.

kaMMakaZZi29
5 years ago#5
Manually assign what? Why would you suggest having UPnP enabled Fustmonkey? Took me a week since getting my One to get it all right (at least for now) and I don't want to tamper with it now...feels like I'm on a knife edge with this thing.

Fustmonkey
5 years ago#6
Undo all the stuff you tried before to get it working, and simply enable UPNP. Is your brother forwarding ports to the PS3? If he is tell him to not forward port 80 like the dumb guides say to do. And tell him he shouldn't have to forward any ports anyways, if UPNP is enabled. If you do forward ports, don't forward port 80 to either console.
How many mods does it take to screw in a light bulb? "the lightbulb is technically not violating the TOS so we're powerless to do anything about it"

Fustmonkey
5 years ago#7
kaMMakaZZi29 posted...
Manually assign what?

He means that if you don't have UPNP enabled you have to manually forward ports. For all kinds of things, including on your PC and other consoles.

You shouldn't have to forward ports at all. Just enable UPNP. And do not use manual IP addresses on the consoles. That is probably what is causing your problems.

kaMMakaZZi29
5 years ago#8
I'll have to check but I think the One and PS3 get diff IPs every time now. Either way I played my first online game today on the One (Battlefield 4) and had no issues. Since the ports I forwarded for the One were to a specific IP and not the one it is now then I won't mess with anything until I experience problems, and hopefully I won't.

Just wanted to understand UPnP a little better..

Fustmonkey
5 years ago#9
kaMMakaZZi29 posted...
Since the ports I forwarded for the One were to a specific IP and not the one it is now

why are you forwarding ports to a different IP address? That's the whole point of forwarding ports, you for the IP address that you want to connect. UPnP does this automatically.

kaMMakaZZi29
5 years ago#10
Fustmonkey posted...
kaMMakaZZi29 posted...
Since the ports I forwarded for the One were to a specific IP and not the one it is now

why are you forwarding ports to a different IP address? That's the whole point of forwarding ports, you for the IP address that you want to connect. UPnP does this automatically.

I was forwarding ports to try and get a better NAT I believe. I had gotten a DNS error one night then some DHCP server issue error the next...port forwarding was something I had set up for my 360 even with UPnP enabled for some reason...maybe it was always to get a better NAT. Now that you say that not sure why I did that...
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Is there any reason to have UPnP enabled if I'm wired?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers