• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Anyone replace the internal hard drive.....This guy has!!

User Info: TommyD0228

TommyD0228
4 years ago#1
Well both of my sons have an Xbox One and both have the issue of disk space. Yes you have options with an external drive but I like it clean so I went with a WD 2TB (WD20NPVX).

Opening the Xbox One and doing the physical swap is not the hard part. It is the additional "know how" that is needed may be an issue.

Once you remove the old hard drive you must connect to a computer running Linux. With both drives connected and scripts found online you can setup the new drive. A few things I found was they always say they have system reboot issues and sometimes have to reset back to system defaults. From any of the steps found online a few steps were missing. I did these steps and the system came up as if the factory drive was still installed (as it should).

Lots of steps and trial and error but not a bad endeavor.

Off to upgrade my other son's Xbox One!

User Info: cminc

cminc
4 years ago#2
Yes, this sounds much better than merely plugging in an external drive like i did. Hell, you dont even get to void your warranty by doing it my way : )
MSI Z87-G45 | I7-4771 Turbo | GTX 770 4GB GDDR5 | Corsair HX 850W |
8GB DDR3 | 1TB 128 MB Cache HDD | Windows 8.1 | XBOX | NINTENDO.

User Info: IceHusky13

IceHusky13
4 years ago#3
That's great you were able to do that. I think many people knew you could swap out the internal HDD, however, Microsoft has stated that if you do open up your Xbox One console to swap out the HDD, it instantly void's the console's warranty with Microsoft; whatever that warranty is. So user beware.
My Game Collection: http://vgcollect.com/icewolf
Currently Playing: Halo: MCC, Forza Horizon 2, Super Smash Bros Wii U, Bayonetta Wii U

User Info: Odalmannen

Odalmannen
4 years ago#4
1tb should have been the standard this generation. 500 gb? Tha heck Microsoft and Sony <.<
Friend code : 3196-4617-8279

User Info: kennyynnoo

kennyynnoo
4 years ago#5
Over my head but i only see it being necessary if your interal fails. I guess you can speed up installs a little but hopefully MS doesnt do what they did early on to 360 owners who used non MS internal HD's and ban you.....if those reports were true. I had a 500gb internal on my 360 for a year without issue though.
Use energy save mode not instant on and quit apps, settings, everything before you play a game. Xbox One How to Quit Games and Apps: http://youtu.be/5aMH0h1r9Tk

User Info: TheolaHalo

TheolaHalo
4 years ago#6
Odalmannen posted...
1tb should have been the standard this generation. 500 gb? Tha heck Microsoft and Sony <.<

cheaper duh

User Info: Odalmannen

Odalmannen
4 years ago#7
Great work btw!
Friend code : 3196-4617-8279

User Info: Evil Squall

Evil Squall
4 years ago#8
I dont see the point. I have everything on my faster and bigger external. The internal hasnt been utilized in months.
Currently Playing: GTA V - 100% Story : Lv 156 Online
It's not until you lose everything that you are free to do anything

TommyD0228
4 years ago#9
cminc posted...
Yes, this sounds much better than merely plugging in an external drive like i did. Hell, you dont even get to void your warranty by doing it my way : )

lol so true but what warranty? The Xbox ones are more than a year old so I was not worried about that. Yes it is much easier to just plug in the external hard drive and format , then your on your way. I do not play at all but having to tell the games to go to internal or external and another point of failure made me upgrade the internal. The load times seem to be better also, at least that's what my son tells me.

TommyD0228
4 years ago#10
Evil Squall posted...
I dont see the point. I have everything on my faster and bigger external. The internal hasnt been utilized in months.

Still running the OS and controller peripherals from the internal hard drive.

For some this does not make sense. My boys travel a lot with theirs so it made sense to me.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. Anyone replace the internal hard drive.....This guy has!!
  • Topic Archived