• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. The Witcher 3: Two Areas Are Over 52 Square Miles by Themselves; 3.5 Times Large

User Info: BSerenity

BSerenity
6 years ago#1
80/80

Larger than Skyrim's Map

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04/03/the-witcher-3-two-of-the-areas-are-over-52-square-miles-by-themselves-3-5-times-larger-than-skyrim/

CD Projekt Red and Umbra Software held a presentation titled “Solving Visibility and Streaming in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt with Umbra 3“ at the Game Developers Conference, and it included a very interesting detail (that I happened to overlook when I first examined the original slides) as discovered by Reddit user fughp.

The slides mention the size of two of the areas included in the game: the city of Novigrad measures 8.5 x 8.5 km for a total size of 72,25 square km, while Skellige is 8 x 8 km, meaning 64 square km. Summed up, the two areas cover 136,25 square km, which convert to just north of 52 square miles.

By comparison, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim‘s world has been calculated to measure 14.8 square miles. This means that the two areas named above are already over 3.5 times larger than the whole Skyrim map.

This is actually fairly interesting since back in June CD Projekt RED described The Witcher 3 as 20% larger than Bethesda’s open world game. We currently don’t know if that was just a preliminary estimate, or the Witcher‘s world just got bigger since then.

We reached out to CD Projekt RED requesting information to shed light on the issue, and we’ll keep you updated if we receive any relevant answer. In the meanwhile one thing is for sure: the world of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is pretty damn big.
This is your freedom in a life of fallacy,
With no last kiss and no regrets; You don't deserve good bye.

User Info: Tyronelio1

Tyronelio1
6 years ago#2
Well skyrim was pretty small, are they bigger than just cause 2 map though?

BSerenity
6 years ago#3
Tyronelio1 posted...

In the space of an open world RPG. Skyrim is by no means small. I am not sure about JC 2.

User Info: Ch3wy

Ch3wy
6 years ago#4
Better not be as big as JC2, that would be way too big. JC2 is 400 square miles.
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001

Tyronelio1
6 years ago#5
BSerenity posted...
Tyronelio1 posted...

In the space of an open world RPG. Skyrim is by no means small. I am not sure about JC 2.

Oblivion/morrowind and fallout3(not too sure about this one) were bigger weren't they?

BSerenity
6 years ago#6
Tyronelio1 posted...
BSerenity posted...
Tyronelio1 posted...

Oblivion/morrowind and fallout3(not too sure about this one) were bigger weren't they?

No they were not.

User Info: MJFJD

MJFJD
6 years ago#7
Big is nice and all, but it needs to be dense with content.

User Info: Ch3wy

Ch3wy
6 years ago#8
BSerenity posted...
Tyronelio1 posted...
BSerenity posted...
Tyronelio1 posted...

No they were not.

I think Oblivion was bigger but Morrowind was smaller.
How the hell can a octopus live outside of water anyways? This is so stupid. -Fade2black001

Tyronelio1
6 years ago#9
Skyrim felt really small though >.> like I could walk from one side to the other in like 10 minutes if that.

I guess they count the mountain ranges and all as well.

User Info: AceMagase

AceMagase
6 years ago#10
MJFJD posted...
Big is nice and all, but it needs to be dense with content.

my feelings exactly - skyrim is a huge world where after a few hours you've seen most of what the game has to offer then everything starts looking and playing so similar it gets boring. I don't want the witcher to have a million insignificant sidequests that play exactly like the last one and don't move the plot along. Every part of the Witcher 2 showed care in the design where in skyrim the majority of the content is filler
  1. Boards
  2. Xbox One
  3. The Witcher 3: Two Areas Are Over 52 Square Miles by Themselves; 3.5 Times Large
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A