• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Men are now more likely to be single than women. It's not a good sign.

User Info: LockDeltz

LockDeltz
1 month ago#1
https://time.com/6104105/more-single-men-than-women/
Given today's world, it shouldn't be shocking.
Quote from the article.

Most researchers agree that the trendlines showing that fewer people are getting married and that those who do are increasingly better off financially have a lot more to do with the effect of wealth and education on marriage than vice versa. People who are financially stable are just much more likely to find and attract a partner.

“It’s not that marriage is making people be richer than it used to, it’s that marriage is becoming an increasingly elite institution, so that people are increasingly only getting married if they already have economic advantages,” says Philip Cohen, a professor of sociology at the University of Maryland, College Park. “Marriage does not make people change their social class, it doesn’t make people change their race, and those things are very big predictors of economic outcomes.”

I agree, women will only marry men who have their sh** together and who can provide for themselves.

User Info: Snakebone99

Snakebone99
1 month ago#2
We are following Japan. Maybe we'll get rental girlfriends like they do. Or even rental mothers like they do. People are so lonely in Japan an entire market of paid companionship has sprung up.

Didn't we follow them on the property bubble bursting as well? It happened to them in the 90s, it happened to us in 2008. They might be a good indicator as to where we are headed.

User Info: DocDelicious

DocDelicious
1 month ago#3
Interesting, my personal observations are of the exact opposite. The only people still willing to get married are the poor and uneducated.
o7
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended.

User Info: Michael_Fury

Michael_Fury
1 month ago#4
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest.
Behold, I cry out of wrong, but I am not heard: I cry aloud, but there is no judgement. - Job 19:7

User Info: Sega9599

Sega9599
1 month ago#5
So it was better before when more women were likely to be single than men?

Or does it need to be a straight 50/50?
Needed: New Pokemon Puzzle League, Shining Force and Left 4 Dead....

User Info: kaimine08

kaimine08
1 month ago#6
Okay.

User Info: majin nemesis

majin nemesis
1 month ago#7
DocDelicious posted...
Interesting, my personal observations are of the exact opposite. The only people still willing to get married are the poor and uneducated.
is that why there's a lot of rich people and educated people that are married?

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
1 month ago#8
I always assumed that there were more single men, because women are generally in control of the dating and marriage scene. With few exceptions, they choose which man they're with (if they want to be with anybody at all.) Men can ask women out, men can propose marriage, but in our society, it's up to the woman to say yes or no to those things.

In our case, I'm worth a decent amount because of inheritance (enough that I never have to work again, as long as I don't live a completely crazy lifestyle) and my wife makes good money at her job. I have a bachelor's degree, and she has a master's. We got married several years ago. I admit that I never thought of it as an elite institution, because I see people of all different levels of wealth and education doing it.
Less is more.

User Info: majin nemesis

majin nemesis
1 month ago#9
Nicodimus posted...
I always assumed that there were more single men, because women are generally in control of the dating and marriage scene. With few exceptions, they choose which man they're with (if they want to be with anybody at all.) Men can ask women out, men can propose marriage, but in our society, it's up to the woman to say yes or no to those things.
you know the opposite happens to women can ask guys out too and propose guys in marriage and guys can say no too nobody is in control and both of them can say no

User Info: rafamaximo

rafamaximo
1 month ago#10
Snakebone99 posted...
Maybe we'll get rental girlfriends like they do
We already have. We name them hookers.

Maybe it's one of the side effects of culture infantilization. We have more and more men/womenchild out there. Most of those I know personally just can't get their life together, because they will think and act like teens forever. Behaving like teenagers, it's only natural that they won't be able to cope with responsibilities and all it takes to have a stable career and/or relationship.

And when I'm talking about menchild or womenchild, I'm not just talking about the regular stereotype associated to them. I am also talking about those women who act like they are extremely empowered and need no men for anything, but even their orgasms are men's responsibility. And about those men who think they are a crusader against the world, those who themselves as heroes because they are not bending to women and yadda yadda yadda.

I also reckon current generations have much less opportunities than previous ones. Few decades ago it was possible to live a comfortable life, afford a house and everything you need for raising a family straight out of highschool. Now you need to go through college in order to have a chance of getting a good job which will let you afford basic comfort for a family.

So when you pair those two things together, there you have it. Less and less people getting married.
"Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them. Then you're an a**hole" - George Carlin
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Men are now more likely to be single than women. It's not a good sign.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A