• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Why is Sephiroth considered a great villain seriously?

User Info: flkid

flkid
3 weeks ago#1
Imo he has to be the most overrated villain in video game history with the amount of unwarranted love and praise he gets.

His character has little to no depth at all. Are people just nostalgic for FF7 and like the fact that he is a pretty boy who carries a big sword(ala Cloud)?

Kefka is similar with little to no depth but at least he has the crazy joker thing going on and actually accomplishes his goal and destroys the world and rules for awhile. Sephiroth fails though.

I never ever understood the love for him. Is it because FF7 was a lot of people's first JRPG growing up since it brought JRPG's into the mainstream in the U.S.?

Please help me understand the love for this character.
PSN: DarkVelstadt

User Info: Degalon

Degalon
3 weeks ago#2
Its a combination of

FF7 was landmark in gaming, like ocarina of time.

One Winged Angel is one if the greatest pieces of music in game history.

Pretty boy for the fangirls.

GT/PSN: DEGALON
Official Fuu of the Naruto Storm 3 Boards

User Info: leeman27534

leeman27534
3 weeks ago#3
flkid posted...
Imo he has to be the most overrated villain in video game history with the amount of unwarranted love and praise he gets.

His character has little to no depth at all. Are people just nostalgic for FF7 and like the fact that he is a pretty boy who carries a big sword(ala Cloud)?

I never ever understood the love for him. Is it because FF7 was a lot of people's first JRPG growing up since it brought JRPG's into the mainstream in the U.S.?

Please help me understand the love for this character.
essentially, yes.

ff7 is overrated (imo, it's not 'bad', per se, but it's not a really good FF title - definitely not the GOAT some people seem to think it is).

and therefore cloud and the big bad are placed on a pedestal because of that overrating it.

it's kinda weird to me too, really.
I'm not mad. i just tend to use 'f***ing' to let you know there's a noun on the way.

User Info: starcrunch061

starcrunch061
3 weeks ago#4
I hesitate to bring it up, but aren’t you a FFX fan? For all of Sephiroth’s issues, he’s significantly more interesting than mama’s boy Seymour.

flkid
3 weeks ago#5
starcrunch061 posted...
I hesitate to bring it up, but aren’t you a FFX fan? For all of Sephiroth’s issues, he’s significantly more interesting than mama’s boy Seymour.

Yes I am and I absolutely agree Seymour is garbage and one of the flaws in a otherwise masterpiece in FFX. But to be fair Seymour isnt really the main baddy of FFX.

And..they are both mama's boys lol.

User Info: starcrunch061

starcrunch061
3 weeks ago#6
flkid posted...
Yes I am and I absolutely agree Seymour is garbage and one of the flaws in a otherwise masterpiece in FFX. But to be fair Seymour isnt really the main baddy of FFX.

And..they are both mama's boys lol.

LOL Touché...

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
3 weeks ago#7
because he killed a woman which is what many misogynists want to do. he symbolizes misogyny among other evil things.
that demographic doesnt care about Sephiroth's "love" for his so called mother.
Sephiroth is idolized just for what he did to a single specific character.

flkid
3 weeks ago#8
xenosaga123 posted...
because he killed a woman which is what many misogynists want to do. he symbolizes misogyny among other evil things.

LOL...I never thought about it that way. Xeno has some interesting takes at least I suppose.

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
3 weeks ago#9
flkid posted...
LOL...I never thought about it that way. Xeno has some interesting takes at least I suppose.

Sexism against females is a real worlwide thing, and sexism to extremes can develop into misogyny.
some part of male homosexuality also ties into it. of course there are male homosexuals that genuinely respect females but there are those, whether they are homosexual or something else, that reject females to the point of disrespecting them to various degrees. notice that everytime there are guys that cheer when a good or evil female character gets harmed or killed. there's also something called ryona which I think panders to males that take pleasure in seeing females suffer.

there are some gamers that really do not treat both sexes equally. and a character like Sephiroth is their champion. though sexism and videogames is older than videogames and seems to be a natural dark side of some people that really can't coexist with females respectfully in general. though it is related to how the more differences between people, the more discriminatory thoughts may be produced. its related to racism patterns as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsQ6HDmlvBQ

User Info: boomstickbhg

boomstickbhg
3 weeks ago#10
his hair is pretty
I make a lot of mistake, but I tend to ignore them until they go away, like illegitimate children.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Why is Sephiroth considered a great villain seriously?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A