• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. The best Final Fantasy game on PS1 (the golden era?)

User Info: cjtencounter

cjtencounter
2 months ago#1
Which is the best one of the 3?

Gotta choose one even if you thought all 3 were nearly equal hehe.

I started out with FF7 (the game that got me into the series back in 97) and honestly? It was immediately the greatest game I have ever played once I finished the bombing mission lol. I mean, I honestly have never thought games could be like this.....so cinematic and story driven. I was so obsessed with it that I was day dreaming about it in high school math class. Everything from story, playability, to characters, to the incredible music and graphics. This was pretty much the perfect game to me.

FF8 instantly, naturally, became my most anticipated video game of all time. I was obsessed with it and practically bought any game mag that had the slightest info on the game. After the opening, I was initially disappointed it did not open with the attack on Dollet mission so it threw me off at first as I was not expecting it. But naturally, I was open minded enough and the sword fight blew me away.
During 99-01 I'd say this was my favourite game of all time even topping FFVII. There was something about the world that just grabbed hold of me and I loved Squall/Rinoa. The music was astonishing.

FF9, of course, after coming off of FF8 was another anticipated FF title for me. I admit, I was anticipating FF10 a lot more at the time due to the game being created by the same team that worked on 7 and 8. FF9 impressed the hell out of me at the time, no doubt, but I was just never a fan of the look of the characters in CG form. In game it was fine. Everything from music, graphics, playability - it was all there. But it was a distant 3rd place compared to 7 and 9 for me.

Final verdict:

FF7 was the greatest to me....ever.
FF8 came along and slightly nudged it off its place for a few years...the anticipation of that game was just unrivalled by any other game in my history of gaming (it was all due to how much I enjoyed FFVII.) The realistic graphics were just awesome and the CG sequences were the best in the biz.
FF9 came along and didn't take 8's spot or even 7's but nonetheless impressed the hell out of me. For the longest time I held it below even FFX but today in fair's a lot better than FFX imo (which was my 3rd fav at the time of release).

These to me are the golden era games of FF. The 3 ultimate best in the series, hands down. With time, I must say that FF7, for me at least, has aged like fine wine. I could play through it and have fun with it just like I did the very first time I have played it. That's just how well paced and frantic the story merged with gameplay is for me. FF8, on the other hand, hasn't done so well for me today....the battle system to me really shows its weaknesses now especially compared to FF7's killer ease of use and super fast gameplay. FF7 just feels more like a classic video game than FF8 (right down to the effects being used when taking down enemies in battle. I just love how video gamey FF7 feels!) FF8 is just too slow paced and I find myself not excited to go through it again.

FF9 and FF8 are neck to neck....but I will go with FF8 simply because the battles don't load as long as FF9's (at least it feels like it to me.) I'd say I even prefer FF9's story over FF8's now. It has a waaaaay better villain in Kuja than Ultimecia and basically, it has that same kick ass pacing and flow that FF7 had. You felt compelled to get even with Kuja and finally settle the score.....but the whole thing kinda loses its momentum for me when you finally beat the game. Stunning ending, but a certain element left me underwhelmed. I'll leave it at that.

Sooo....the winner for me is:

Final Fantasy VII

To me, this is the ultimate FF game. Not only the best on PS1, the best in the series. But to this day it is still the greatest damn video game I have ever played. Yes, the nostalgia is strong with this one but so it is with FF8 as well....the bottomline is, FF7 is just an awesome VIDEO GAME. It works well even if you completely eliminate the story. I just love the whole mechanics of the materia system, the way you build your characters and the simplicity of the battle system (yet complex if you want it to be.)
1. Final Fantasy VII 2. Shadow of the Colossus 3. Silent Hill 2 4. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 5. Vagrant Story | Best PS4 game: FFVIIR

User Info: Darkfire12

Darkfire12
2 months ago#2
8 just because I think the entire card system letting you break the game immediately is hilarious
Saber could be in, mark my words

User Info: flkid

flkid
2 months ago#3
FFIX>VII>VIII.
PSN: DarkVelstadt

User Info: Ruppe21

Ruppe21
2 months ago#4
Loved 7 and 9 back then but 8 was a bit of a let down.
I love it now I was probably too young back then to follow the plot and understand the themes.
If I had to pick one it would be 7,interesting locations and dungeons.fun minigames, it has it all.

User Info: Nicodimus

Nicodimus
2 months ago#5
Even though 5 mostly sucks, I think the golden era was 4,5,6. The other two games more than make up for it.
Less is more.

User Info: Sacred_Arfaid

Sacred_Arfaid
2 months ago#6
Nicodimus posted...
Even though 5 mostly sucks, I think the golden era was 4,5,6. The other two games more than make up for it.

5 is the best one.

User Info: AzaneAzer

AzaneAzer
2 months ago#7
Nothing felt like a larger step up than 7 to 8.

User Info: Sacred_Arfaid

Sacred_Arfaid
2 months ago#8
AzaneAzer posted...
Nothing felt like a larger step up than 7 to 8.

Graphically? sure.

User Info: MetalCannon2

MetalCannon2
2 months ago#9
Final Fantasy IX

User Info: flkid

flkid
2 months ago#10
Sacred_Arfaid posted...
5 is the best one.

Its easily the most underrated FF ever with still one of, if not the best job systems.
PSN: DarkVelstadt
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. The best Final Fantasy game on PS1 (the golden era?)
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A