• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. What is a "strand type game"?

User Info: Wyrme24

Wyrme24
1 month ago#41
aLll these useless YTers, good times in the age of COVID-19.
Jesus Christ, why don't you come save my life now
Open my eyes and blind me with your light

User Info: Mute_Guardian7

Mute_Guardian7
1 month ago#42
Darkfire12 posted...
so it's like Undertale but it affects other people instead of your own future playthroughs?
Not really, but I guess Death Stranding is a bit like Undertale in regards to how the game reacts to usage of lethal force. Without spoiling anything, killing has consequences and is strongly discouraged.

Nordini posted...
Dunkey answers this exact question as well as everything else you need to know about Death Stranding in this video. It's actually the first thing he addresses in the video. Easily the most important Death Stranding video there is:
Dunkey's Death Stranding video represents the game as honestly as one of those "This is How You Don't Play" compilations. Actually, to say he DSPed his way through Death Stranding would be an insult to DSP; even he understood the game mechanics better.

That video also contains late-game spoilers without any warning, which is scummy as f*** and beyond childish.

SpinoRaptor24 posted...
It's a pretentious term for walking simulator that was concocted by the pretentious and talentless hack Kojima.
Damn, people like you still unironically believe Death Stranding is a "walking simulator"?
https://imgur.com/Z3zs8Os https://i.redd.it/yn63fzzbzud01.gif

User Info: starcrunch061

starcrunch061
1 month ago#43
Mute_Guardian7 posted...
Damn, people like you still unironically believe Death Stranding is a "walking simulator"?

Is it so much more?

User Info: Nordini

Nordini
1 month ago#44
Mute_Guardian7 posted...
Not really, but I guess Death Stranding is a bit like Undertale in regards to how the game reacts to usage of lethal force. Without spoiling anything, killing has consequences and is strongly discouraged.

Dunkey's Death Stranding video represents the game as honestly as one of those "This is How You Don't Play" compilations. Actually, to say he DSPed his way through Death Stranding would be an insult to DSP; even he understood the game mechanics better.

That video also contains late-game spoilers without any warning, which is scummy as f*** and beyond childish.

I understand you're very defensive, but Death Stranding is quite literally a walking simulator. It's funny that the term "walking simulator" existed prior to Death Stranding as a term to poke fun at certain games, and then a literal walking simulator like Death Stranding was released.

User Info: Mute_Guardian7

Mute_Guardian7
1 month ago#45
starcrunch061 posted...
Is it so much more?
Absolutely. Calling Death Stranding a "walking simulator" is like calling Super Mario 64 a "jumping simulator", or Half-Life a "killing aliens with a crowbar simulator". Not only is "walking simulator" a very reductive and shallow descriptor, it's typically used to describe (usually linear) narrative-focused adventure games that have little to no means of interacting with the game world beyond moving forward and observing your surroundings to find a way to progress the story.

Needless to say, Death Stranding is like Gone Home in the same way an albatross laying an egg looks like 73 gnomes laughing at a Rubik's Cube while an orangutan on a motorbike does wheelies on a flying pirate ship whilst mimicking the cry of a Geodude.

Nordini posted...
I understand you're very defensive, but Death Stranding is quite literally a walking simulator.
Mute_Guardian7 posted...
https://imgur.com/Z3zs8Os https://i.redd.it/yn63fzzbzud01.gif

Wyrme24
1 month ago#46
Mute_Guardian7 posted...
Absolutely. Calling Death Stranding a "walking simulator" is like calling Super Mario 64 a "jumping simulator", or Half-Life a "killing aliens with a crowbar simulator". Not only is "walking simulator" a very reductive and shallow descriptor, it's typically used to describe (usually linear) narrative-focused adventure games that have little to no means of interacting with the game world beyond moving forward and observing your surroundings to find a way to progress the story.

Needless to say, Death Stranding is like Gone Home in the same way an albatross laying an egg looks like 73 gnomes laughing at a Rubik's Cube while an orangutan on a motorbike does wheelies on a flying pirate ship whilst mimicking the cry of a Geodude.
You can like Death Stranding dude, 'tis fine, and it's not a walking simulator. It's an UPS training module that was released into the wild internet that Kojima found, stole, and applied a shiny coat of paint and celebrity to.

It's not unique, original, or inspired, or all that fun. It does have some redeeming qualities and is possibly worth a playthrough, but it's not a good game. And Kojima's heavy-handed writing and anti-western evil sentiments are tiresome as f*** to sit through, not to mention cutscenes that are basically paid ad spots for celebrities and of course the entire game being a gigantic ad for f***ing Monster.

If you like it, great, enjoy and have fun, I sincerely hope you get your money's worth, just don't deny the fact that many, many, many others do not like it and also have valid opinions on the matter.

I got the f***ing game for free and haven't brought myself to finish it yet because it's not that great at all, but it is a bit weird and a few chapters got me hooked enough to want to at least finish the story and see the world-building and lore eventually. Though Kojima is a f***ing hack writer.

User Info: Nordini

Nordini
1 month ago#47
Mute_Guardian7 posted...

In a way, yes, mario is a jumping simulator, which is why we call it a platformer. The difference is that jumping across platforms is a more fun mechanic than walking. It also doesn't simulate jumping quite as much as Death Stranding simulates walking. If the next mario game made you press buttons to perfectly bend your knees the same way that Death stranding requires you to press buttons to balance your walking, then it would truly be a jumping simulator like Death stranding is a walking simulator.

Death Stranding is far more of a "walking simulator" than the games before it that were typically described as walking simulators.

starcrunch061
1 month ago#48
Mute_Guardian7 posted...

Descriptive, but good to know. Gone Home is a pet hate of mine, and it is often my point of comparison whenever someone claims that a game is a "walking simulator".

Wyrme24
1 month ago#49
starcrunch061 posted...
Descriptive, but good to know. Gone Home is a pet hate of mine, and it is often my point of comparison whenever someone claims that a game is a "walking simulator".
I like Gone Home. I should really reinstall and finish that puppy.

starcrunch061
1 month ago#50
Wyrme24 posted...
I like Gone Home. I should really reinstall and finish that puppy.

The game can be beaten in a minute. Everything can be found in around an hour.

Can you really say you like such a game if you didn't finish it?
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. What is a "strand type game"?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A