• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Kind of tired of main characters talking to themselves aloud

User Info: zombie_basher13

zombie_basher13
2 weeks ago#1
Okay how many AAA games or not even AAA have we all played where the main character or some playable character it doesn't really matter, while alone talks to themself out loud? A key offender and example is Rise of the Tomb Raider, with cutscenes where Lara is literally just talking out loud to herself in exposition dumps but what's she's really doing is talking to the audience, because game devs can't find a better way to get across information. Its lazy writing tbh.

TLOU 2 is another key example. Ellie and Abby talking aloud to themselves constantly while alone because they are talking to the player. Its incredibly cheesy and weird imo. Do any of you talk to yourselves out loud or know people that do it, while alone, giving themselves giant exposition dumps? Is that what people do irl? Because I don't. In old Tomb Raiders did Classic Lara have to give herself and the player giant exposition dumps because the game devs thought we needed to be spoon fed? No. In most Metroid games Samus is silent, Other M was a terrible piece of crap but at least Samus was just thinking to herself. Tons of silent protagonists like Link that don't have endless audible monologues and so on.

I just think game devs could find better ways of getting across character thoughts and emotion, and other informational cues, without being annoying and weird. E.g. Ellie is often alone in TLOU 2, why did that need to be a thing? She could have had companions far more often. You know like the first game.

Anyway. TLOU 2 is much better than ROTR because at least Ellie is just talking to herself often in brief mumbles, Rise was egregious with those cutscenes of Lara having revelatory conversations with herself
like a crazy person.

If games are meant to keep getting more realistic, this is something that should be looked at.

TLDR I think characters talking to themselves alone out loud is cheesy and stupid and a failure of game developers to find better ways of getting meaningful information across to players.
What are you doing on computer? Go outside it's so beautifulll! Mrawww, c'mahhh!!

User Info: Jonbodhi

Jonbodhi
2 weeks ago#2
Dishonored 2 was really bad about this. She talked to herself, grunted, moaned. I remember thinking: ‘will this b**** ever shut up?’ It’s why i never complain about silent protagonists.
Nothing is overrated; your opinion is just outnumbered: AnonymousFriend

User Info: BlakOut-

BlakOut-
2 weeks ago#3
In Spider Man, Mary Jane talks to herself outloud when she is supposed to be doing stealth missions

User Info: lambchips

lambchips
2 weeks ago#4
This is why the majority of games with voice acting is so immersion breaking, I can understand them thinking but they arent.. They are literally talking to the player for no reason.
i7 3820@ 3.60GHz| 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz DDR3| Gigabyte GTX670 2GB OC| Intel 520 Series 120GB SSD| Antec EarthWatts 750W Green

User Info: psycofang

psycofang
2 weeks ago#5
Jonbodhi posted...
It’s why i never complain about silent protagonists.

Same. It gets... weird and keeps reminding you its a video game.

User Info: RingsOfUranus

RingsOfUranus
2 weeks ago#6
One of the only games I've ever liked this in was weirdly Days Gone. Deacon's random mumbling to himself or yelling at the radio transmissions was kind of hilarious, but also kind of gave the impression that he was actually mentally snapping. He sounded like he was going nuts, and I don't know if that was on purpose or it just came across that way, but I want to assume it was intentional.

User Info: ace_spades111

ace_spades111
2 weeks ago#7
i mean they could be thinking to themselves. not like you see their lips move in third person view.
and it's not like our thoughts sound like TV thoughts where they have whatever echo or sound setting most shows use for thoughts.

User Info: kungpowchicken

kungpowchicken
2 weeks ago#8
I was saying the same thing the other day lol. Sometimes takes away the immersion.
PSN: kungpowchickn/ STEAM: KungPowChicken/ NSW: 6101-9489-6414
Playing: The Last of Us 2 (PS4) Overwatch (Switch) Duke Nukem (Switch)

User Info: SoulTrain75

SoulTrain75
2 weeks ago#9
Yeah it's not realistic I agree.

Things I say out loud to myself...
f***
Goddammit!
s***!
Awww come onnnnnn!
That's some bulls***!
Wtf

Mostly while gaming....

User Info: dhampire1

dhampire1
2 weeks ago#10
RingsOfUranus posted...
One of the only games I've ever liked this in was weirdly Days Gone. Deacon's random mumbling to himself or yelling at the radio transmissions was kind of hilarious, but also kind of gave the impression that he was actually mentally snapping. He sounded like he was going nuts, and I don't know if that was on purpose or it just came across that way, but I want to assume it was intentional.
I was going to say just this. Deacon was crazy so it kinda made sense
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Kind of tired of main characters talking to themselves aloud
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A