• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Help with stick drift on newer controllers

User Info: DiaperDandee

DiaperDandee
1 year ago#1
So in the past 5 months, I’ve bought 2 new DualShock controllers, and both now have stick drift in the right thumbstick. I’ve used canned air to blow around the thumbstick (without taking it apart because I’ve heard some people had some luck with that) and that doesn’t work. It’s weird because I’ve had it where I reconnect the controllers and they work normal for a few minutes and then they go back to doing the same thing, which is my character looking straight up.

It’s weird because I’ve never had any issues at all with these controllers in years past, and now I have 2 brand new ones do this in a couple months? Seems like an anomaly. Anyone have any ideas?

User Info: KRlSTlN_KR3UK

KRlSTlN_KR3UK
1 year ago#2
DiaperDandee posted...
So in the past 5 months, I’ve bought 2 new DualShock controllers, and both now have stick drift in the right thumbstick. I’ve used canned air to blow around the thumbstick (without taking it apart because I’ve heard some people had some luck with that) and that doesn’t work. It’s weird because I’ve had it where I reconnect the controllers and they work normal for a few minutes and then they go back to doing the same thing, which is my character looking straight up.

It’s weird because I’ve never had any issues at all with these controllers in years past, and now I have 2 brand new ones do this in a couple months? Seems like an anomaly. Anyone have any ideas?

Had the same issue just 3 months into using a brand new Dualshock 4 v2. I tried some things without opening it up to no avail. Problem kept coming back.

Finally decided to open it up and clean up inside with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol, specifically the area where the analog sticks are. Havent had a problem ever since.
The first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think about when I finally fall asleep...

User Info: okidori4life

okidori4life
1 year ago#3
Unfortunately, cant offer any solutions.

All I can say is I noticed after their new revised V2 ps4 controller (the one with a visible line in the touch bar to see light) that the quality has just plummeted.

And specifically the sticks. The buttons and shoulder buttons ive been alright with, but the sticks will either experience drift, or weird super sensitive wobbling when walking forward in games... and this is only within MONTHS.

Where as the OG ps4 controllers I had lasted for over 3 years no problems. Only got rid of them cuz they were oily and shiny af lmao.

OH, this is just something to think of for future purchases, but try to buy them in person. Im not sure if its a packaging issue, but Ive seen and also bought a controller where both sticks were slightly positioned upwards in its default resting place. I think it has to do with the thumbsticks are already touching the plastic and when you get buncha controllers stacked on eachother it can force the sticks to go up and get stuck in that position. That could maybe affect drift sooner.

Anyway, yeah sucks.

User Info: DiaperDandee

DiaperDandee
1 year ago#4
KRlSTlN_KR3UK posted...
Had the same issue just 3 months into using a brand new Dualshock 4 v2. I tried some things without opening it up to no avail. Problem kept coming back.

Finally decided to open it up and clean up inside with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol, specifically the area where the analog sticks are. Havent had a problem ever since.

Interesting, I’ll try that, thanks. I wonder if they changed some of the parts or something because yeah, never really had any issues in the first 4 years or so with the controllers even if I bought new ones. Now I have 2 that go bad with the same issue in such a short time? Somethings up.

User Info: KRlSTlN_KR3UK

KRlSTlN_KR3UK
1 year ago#5
DiaperDandee posted...
Interesting, I’ll try that, thanks. I wonder if they changed some of the parts or something because yeah, never really had any issues in the first 4 years or so with the controllers even if I bought new ones. Now I have 2 that go bad with the same issue in such a short time? Somethings up.

There are a lot of youtube tutorials on it. I forgot which one I followed but apparently, dirt builds up really fast in the analog stick area. May have to clean it periodically
The first thing I think about when I wake up and the last thing I think about when I finally fall asleep...
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Help with stick drift on newer controllers
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A