• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Is the Shenmu series worth playing?

User Info: AliceRed130

AliceRed130
4 weeks ago#1
Topic
ChaDimitri did nothing wrong

User Info: Y34RX3R0

Y34RX3R0
4 weeks ago#2
It was 20 years ago, aged horribly.
PSN: Y34RX3R0
An absolute legend on the PS4 boards, bulletproof.

User Info: Testa-Rossa

Testa-Rossa
4 weeks ago#3
God no. It wasn't worth playing THEN either. It was just all the DC had.

User Info: DanGlynnJohnson

DanGlynnJohnson
4 weeks ago#4
AliceRed130 posted...
Is the Shenmu series worth playing?

Depending on your point of view and your own personal gaming 'value system', all games are worth playing.

Y34RX3R0
4 weeks ago#5
Testa-Rossa posted...
God no. It wasn't worth playing THEN either. It was just all the DC had.

I guess Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Silver, Illbleed, Virtua Tennis, Chu Chu Rocket, Grandia II, House of the Dead, HeadHunter, Power Stone II, Jet Set Radiom, Panzer Dragoon etc don't count eh?

If you don't know s*** about video games, why even comment on them?

User Info: VERY_GOOD_BOI

VERY_GOOD_BOI
4 weeks ago#6
Y34RX3R0 posted...
It was 20 years ago, aged horribly.

This. Not worth playing in this day and age.
Kojima always wins, baby!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNWMZIf7eSg

User Info: jky7702

jky7702
4 weeks ago#7
I think so. I recently finished Shenmue 2 for the first time and thought it was amazing. Tbh I still like the visuals in the game and don't mind the tank like controls either.

It would be easier to get into S2 than S1 right now as it has plenty of QoL improvements and more combat. You have to look at the game as a mix of genres rather an open world game: life sim, adventure game, murder mystery game, arcade game, fighting game, open world, etc.

But what really nailed the game for me was its themes and presentation, the atmosphere and music, the characters and artstyle, etc, The gameplay itself is hit and miss but the actual fighting game part had potential as it was modelled after Virtua Fighter.

In short, most people wouldn't be able to get into it if they are anything like modern gamers mindset, You need that old school mindset going in, or if the themes, story, etc really hit.

Btw, Shenmue 3 sucks imo, and doesn't approach the greatness of the first 2 games.

User Info: Testa-Rossa

Testa-Rossa
4 weeks ago#8
Y34RX3R0 posted...
I guess Power Stone, Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure, Silver, Illbleed, Virtua Tennis, Chu Chu Rocket, Grandia II, House of the Dead, HeadHunter, Power Stone II, Jet Set Radiom, Panzer Dragoon etc don't count eh?

If you don't know s*** about video games, why even comment on them?

You named like 5 things that nobody talks about ever.

Grats

User Info: jky7702

jky7702
4 weeks ago#9
DC also had the best fighting games: MvC2, Soul Calibur, etc. When Soul Calibur came out it got consensus 10/10 scores and grabbed all the goty awards. Let me tell you playing that game on s-video back then with surround sound was a dream come true, truly amazing for its time.

Y34RX3R0
4 weeks ago#10
Testa-Rossa posted...
You named like 5 things that nobody talks about ever.

Grats

Can you honestly not count? Yikes.

1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Is the Shenmu series worth playing?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A