• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. do you want Crimson Desert on Playstation 4 or Playstation 5 ?

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
3 weeks ago#1
want Crimson Desert on Playstation 4 or Playstation 5 - Results (12 votes)
PS5 , would have higher quality graphics, framerate and perfomance
33.33% (4 votes)
PS4 , think it would run ok on it despite using a next gen engine
16.67% (2 votes)
both , so every can play together
50% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
well I think Crimson Desert has a chance being ported to PS4 or PS5 after PC.

skeptics thought BD would not happen on PS4, and they been proven wrong (also the holiday sale of Black Desert is rising populations even further!)

Black Desert runs on PS4 pretty well. ok it has framerate kinks, but thats to be expected from a high graphics, seamless connected world, massively populated action packed open world with tons of detail, townspeople, and the most beautiful quality models ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqA5Du0v5lM

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/crimson-desert-official-reveal-trailer-mmorpg-by-pearl-abyss-the-creators-of-the-black-desert-franchise.1510831/

https://crimsondesert.pearlabyss.com/en/Main/Index

now I think there are 3 primary possibilities:

1. Crimson Desert after PC, becomes crossgen between PS4 and PS5, and crossplay with PC. that would generate more profits than just making it PC exclusive or just PS5 and PC.

2. Crimson Desert is ported to PS5 after PC, utilizing PS5 hardware so the console version has the fullest quality graphics and performance possible in the new generation of console gaming.

3. Crimson Desert is ported to the next Xbox and PS5, and crossplay with PC.

I dont consider CD remaining PC exclusive, because Black Desert proves their is a massive demand for these kinda games on PS4, and PS4 gamers will eventually move to PS5,

also PS4 has Black Desert, so I think to avoid internal competition, they would make Crimson Desert on PS5 generation, so that would make PS5 worth getting for Black Desert fans that want to move to Crimson Desert (or play both), so people hold onto PS4 to play Black Desert, while using PS5 for Crimson Desert.

overall even after Crimson Desert comes out on consoles, Black Desert is not even a year old on PS4, so there is a dedicated fanbase that will stick with it at least until Crimson Desert arrives on consoles, which probably wont be until 2021 perhaps, though dont know if they planned the game with multiplatform release plans at the start. though I think they will concentrate on PC first, then console ports.

even if the new Xbox gets it first, PS5 getting Crimson Desert too is quite logical from a business and profits standpoint. they seen how beneficial it is to go multiplatform with Black Desert, so it makes sense for Crimson Desert to come to consoles too :)

User Info: mashu

mashu
3 weeks ago#2
Both. For at least a year, many/most games will be for both systems, until they finally retire all use of the PS4. There may be some PS5 exclusives, but likely not early in the PS5 lifespan. That's what almost certainly will happen. I also always wait to buy a new console until the library is fleshed out - at least a year - so this liklihood suits me well. Since I'm certain this is what will happen, then I guess I vote "both" anyway. And it's true too - the Sony console gaming community will be split between the two platforms for a little while, until everyone has a PS5. Any game coming out in the next two years really should be available for both, save the aforementioned exclusives to PS5, which will likely be rare early on.

xenosaga123
3 weeks ago#3
mashu posted...
Both. For at least a year, many/most games will be for both systems, until they finally retire all use of the PS4. There may be some PS5 exclusives, but likely not early in the PS5 lifespan. That's what almost certainly will happen. I also always wait to buy a new console until the library is fleshed out - at least a year - so this liklihood suits me well. Since I'm certain this is what will happen, then I guess I vote "both" anyway. And it's true too - the Sony console gaming community will be split between the two platforms for a little while, until everyone has a PS5. Any game coming out in the next two years really should be available for both, save the aforementioned exclusives to PS5, which will likely be rare early on.

do you think a PS4 port as the base for the console versions, might bring down the quality of the PS5 version? usually devs base a port on the weakest platform

unless they have a means to scale the PS5 version so it can use PS5 hardware to its fullest, a PS4 version might risk capping how much better the PS5 version looks and runs

though perhaps PS4 wouldnt affect PS5 version's quality. it could turn out that PS5 version can look and run optimal, but if they try to release it on both at the sametime, then quality might affect things.

Kingdom Under Fire II held off from releasing on PS3 and perhaps PS4, and if it comes to PS5, it could look and run better than if they settle it with PS3, though they could remaster it for PS5 after PS4 if it comes to consoles.

but yea from a business standpoint, making Crimson Desert playable on PS4, means if PS5 is backwards compatible, they can easily profit from both markets!!!!!! (however if the PS5 can only play a port of the PS4 version, then Crimson Desert would only look as well as it looks on PS4).
so I think a proper port from PC to PS5/XboxS, can result in a higher quality console version

still, they could do the crossgen angle where they port Crimson Desert to PS4 and then to PS5 at peak quality overall, though I think XboxS could get an edition too, so I think without overwhelming their workload, they might focus on PS5 + XboxS for Crimson Desert, so most PS4 Black Desert fans stick with Black Desert until PS5 is more affordable and Crimson Desert becomes available.

Im not a graphics fanatics, otherwise I wouldnt play Black Desert on PS4 as often as I do (though been busy with Romancing SaGa 3 and SaGa Scarlet Grace is in two weeks! but after that, gonna primarily play Black Desert daily like I generally play it.) so if Crimson Desert comes to PS4, fine, I'll get it.

though I would purchase PS5/XboxS, whichever console gets Crimson Desert first. :)

its kinda like Phantasy Star Universe back then (which is actually a crossgeneration game), I purchased both the PS2 and Xbox 360 versions, the X360 version was clearly superior in graphics and performance, so I stuck with that version online. X360 is actually PS3 generation. while PS2 is Xbox generation. it was clear that the newer gen hardware benefits the game more and the higher quality optimized version enhances the gameplay, and experiences.

so if I would play Crimson Desert, I would prefer to play it on a next gen console

User Info: mashu

mashu
3 weeks ago#4
xenosaga123 posted...
do you think a PS4 port as the base for the console versions, might bring down the quality of the PS5 version? usually devs base a port on the weakest platform

Most likely. Most often it'll be the same code (ie game will be the same), but the superior console may be able to up performance slightly (sort of like the PS4 and PS4 Pro).

Sure, I'd wish all releases starting a month before the release of the PS5 would be PS5-only, but that's not going to happen. There will be an interim period where games released during that time will be released for both consoles - a year is a good rough estimate. Possibly two. During the first 6 months to a year there may not even be any PS5-exclusive titles. Developers want to wait for an install base the same way gamers want to wait for a library, and for an online game they will want a dual release so they can bring current PS4 owners on board too.

I suppose what I want is sort of irrelevant. I don't think there is any avoiding the liklihood that releases for a year or so will be for both systems.

xenosaga123
3 weeks ago#5

Most likely. Most often it'll be the same code (ie game will be the same), but the superior console may be able to up performance slightly (sort of like the PS4 and PS4 Pro).

ah slightly is not good enough. PS4 Pro is a waste of money and example that a slight improvement in performance compared to base PS4 is not worth shelling $100s on.

they might as well make Crimson Desert next gen exclusive to next gen platforms so it fully utilizes PS5 hardware so there's no downgrade and not held back by previous gen

Sure, I'd wish all releases starting a month before the release of the PS5 would be PS5-only, but that's not going to happen. There will be an interim period where games released during that time will be released for both consoles - a year is a good rough estimate. Possibly two. During the first 6 months to a year there may not even be any PS5-exclusive titles. Developers want to wait for an install base the same way gamers want to wait for a library, and for an online game they will want a dual release so they can bring current PS4 owners on board too.

I suppose what I want is sort of irrelevant. I don't think there is any avoiding the liklihood that releases for a year or so will be for both systems.

well I think the most optimal way they can do it is release Crimson Desert on PC. then port it to XboxS/PS5, and whichever console is 2nd gets it a year after the other console (I think if Microsoft isn't asleep, they might be inviting so the devs pick their platform first like was the case with Black Desert. So Xbox S getting Crimson Desert before PS5, is a possibility overall. )

I think sametime console release is not within their procedure of porting. its a massive effort, so they would do the port on one console before moving to the next console.

of course they first have to establish the game on PC first and learn from the feedback there.

though next gen console ports seems inevitable.

and while porting it to PS4 would be 'convenient' to people that dont wanna spend on a next gen console to play it, I think it would be detrimental to the overall quality of Crimson Desert on consoles. it could be much nearer to the PC quality by porting it to PS5/XboxS generation. skipping PS4 generation would be for the best of the game's overall quality too.

and peak quality will in turn make it more profitable as well on consoles.

Black Desert is popular on PS4, but its performance and npc texture loading kinks are scaring away most customers from jumping in. it still looks beautiful but certainly not optimal.

for Crimson Desert they should aim higher so console gamers aren't left with a choppy version of the intended game. skipping PS4 generation would be worth the sacrifice so Crimson Desert is properly presented on consoles. and that way, Black Desert and Crimson Desert wont be playing hungry hungry hippos for players.

also Crimson Desert uses a new next gen engine, I think it would only run worse than Black Desert does on PS4/X1.

so they gotta make it next gen exclusive. most aren't gonna purchase a gaming PC to play it optimally, and if PS5/XboxS versions are near to the PC version, that would be optimal for the game and the playerbase on consoles. it would overall be much more fun and amazing on next gen consoles without previous gen holding it back.

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
3 weeks ago#6
I'll never understand how Xenosaga manages to type out a near f***ing novel in most of his posts.
Trump is the greatest president!
Deliver Brexit!

User Info: digUbetterdead

digUbetterdead
3 weeks ago#7
Is Crimson Desert supposed to be an MMO too? I think Black Desert would be better if it weren't.
PSN: LoveLikeJazz
https://soundcloud.com/lovelikejazz

xenosaga123
3 weeks ago#8
digUbetterdead posted...
Is Crimson Desert supposed to be an MMO too? I think Black Desert would be better if it weren't.

not necessarily. a bad habit that eastern developers to tend think, is that character creation 'only makes snse' in multiplayer games, which is nonsense. its like they didnt study The Elder Scrolls series, SW KOTOR and other examples.

if Black Desert was single player, that dumb guy on the title screen might have been the only playable character and only 1 class and no character creation, which woulda sucked.

if Crimson Desert was single player, that Jon inspiration would have been the only playable character, which would be boring.

unless developers design their single player games with diverse male and female character creation options, prefer it being online only mmo then.

overall, I feel Black desert could have been offline AND online like Phantasy Star Online was on Dreamcast. (also Conan Exiles and ARK Survival Evolved are playable offline)

just make offline characters not usable online, and online characters saved server side, and that would prevent cheating online.

Black Desert and Crimson Desert would make a lot more money from buyers and microtransations if their games are playable offline too with character creation intact, basically the full game but with one solo player offline, with difficulty options.

these games dont have a subscription fee, so theres really no reason to design them as online only games.

but all in all I prefer them being online only than offline only. for people with internet and PS+, online only is a nonissue and even single player games are played by millions while they are connected to psn online.

xenosaga123
2 weeks ago#9
ah I read someone it might be coming to PS4? if thats the case, no point in getting PS5/Xbox S sooner.

I think its better for them to save it for PS5, that could optimize it further without crossgen holding it back.

yea I know FFXIV was on PS3 then moved to PS4, but still, PS3 hardware held it back from looking better as a whole. after they cut PS3 support, they did update the graphics a bit, but still has base assets that were originally modeled so they can run on PS3 hardware. its kinda like even after PS2 and Xbox 360 FFXI support was dropped, the PC version still looks like PS2 game in some sense.

tho unless a PS5 version of Crimson Desert is a direct port from the PC version, not PS4 version, then they could make it look and run up to PS5 full specifications, but usually devs tend to point games from one console to another than making a 2nd port from PC.

User Info: kidrobot

kidrobot
2 weeks ago#10
Jason_Hudson posted...
I'll never understand how Xenosaga manages to type out a near f***ing novel in most of his posts.

passion for games they shill is strong
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. do you want Crimson Desert on Playstation 4 or Playstation 5 ?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers