• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Is Red Dead Redemption 2 the best game of this generation? Disagree, why?

User Info: UnLoco

UnLoco
4 weeks ago#1
Forget about the critical acclaim and number of sales, in terms of the sheer realization of it's open world and abundant number of mechanics, side activities, gripping story, incredible characters and the level of realism achieved this game is truly unprecedented and has set the bar so high that even those behind a masterpiece like Breath of the Wild are taking inspiration from it for the sequel.

I'm also not considering the online mode here as the game can stand alone perfectly as a single player experience. It is a game that is much, much more than the sum of it's parts and a perfect example of the heights the video game medium can reach. Truly the game of this generation.

User Info: Shadowsun8

Shadowsun8
4 weeks ago#2
It's not fun, so no.

User Info: UnLoco

UnLoco
4 weeks ago#3
Shadowsun8 posted...
It's not fun, so no.

Why don't you find it fun? Some stuff in particular?

User Info: Shadowsun8

Shadowsun8
4 weeks ago#4
UnLoco posted...
Why don't you find it fun? Some stuff in particular?

Great graphics and a good story, but mainly I remember riding a horse constantly, chewing tobacco so I could get easy kills, and listening to an idiot tell me we needed money while never allowing me to loot.

It felt more like a novel than a video game, which isn't bad, but isn't how I prefer things to be.

I've mentioned before that I think it's biggest failing is the lack of choice in how you deal with Dutch -- I would have either ran off with one of the other characters (Mary, Mary-Beth, Sadie, Tilly, Charles) to get away from him once I had enough money to do so midway through the game (leading to more of an original RDR feel, especially if you stayed on the run) or tried to take over the gang from him and lead them on a better path.

Leopold's assignments, Micah's return and Sean's death were early signs to me that it was time to move on. I understand why they did what they did from a narrative perspective, but I don't like being forced to make bad decisions while gaming or otherwise.

User Info: Crysiania

Crysiania
4 weeks ago#5
Its an odd one, game feels more like an... experience.... than a game.

Its interesting but if I wanted raw fun I would looks elsewhere.

User Info: BlueSnow

BlueSnow
4 weeks ago#6
No. Never played it. It's not my cup of tea at all and even if it was, the annoying animations would've killed the game for me. Screw realism !
PlayStation Ranking: PS2>PS1>PS3>Vita>PS4
Favorite Genres: TP Survival Horror w/ Combat, JRPG, Musou, 3D Beat'em up, Fighting, VN

User Info: SoulTrain75

SoulTrain75
4 weeks ago#7
Like it or not you have to admit it's probally the best game technical wise ever made.

User Info: Avirosb

Avirosb
4 weeks ago#8
Disagree, westerns are overrated.
Faeces Postus, extraordinaire.

User Info: doodlecrazy

doodlecrazy
4 weeks ago#9
I know 10 people who bought it, I know none who completed it. (irl).

User Info: CaIiber345

CaIiber345
4 weeks ago#10
I think it is a beautiful and rich game world with great production and some technical accomplishments that all goes out the window because of how bogged down it gets in realism mechanics. Immersion and realism are two different things. Hunt animal, skin it, put pelt away, not micromanage the inventories of my character, horse, saddlebags, guns, to the point where micromanagement for the sake of realistic carry weight and space takes away from the fun of a video game. We can be immersed without actually having to behave like we are living in the game world by real world rules. I was watching a stream and a guy was cleaning his gun every 10 seconds while hiding behind a rock in a shootout. That’s ridiculous. That said, I’d like to finish it someday.
This is my nerd face. There are many like it but this one is mine.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Is Red Dead Redemption 2 the best game of this generation? Disagree, why?
  • Topic Archived