• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Can anyone explain why cant you retire once you reach $1M before 50?

User Info: NSGraphite

NSGraphite
4 weeks ago#51
Fire_Emblem_ posted...
The average person makes less than 50 thousand a year in America... How the f*** would a million not last you long?? Lol

it will only last you 20 years if you spend 50 thousand a year
PS4 at 100 million baby!

User Info: Fire_Emblem_

Fire_Emblem_
4 weeks ago#52
NSGraphite posted...
I can make it last more than 20 years.
Ike is the best Fire Emblem character! Path of Radiance is the best Fire Emblem!

User Info: gtomanga

gtomanga
4 weeks ago#53
iv reached 29 of age now, reached 1M last year,
can't figure out what to do with 1M,

console gaming[mostly PS4] is a crap box that can only play heavily censored hollywood/outdated weeb games and nothing else,
and PC i managed to create a maxed out Nasa PC with less the costs,

i can brag about having 1M...but that's as far as i can go,
i think its best to keep it for emergency.
Ys,megaman,harvest moon,sly cooper,rune factory,shin megami tensei,growlanser ,superman,bomberman,shumps,sonic fan

User Info: NSGraphite

NSGraphite
4 weeks ago#54
Fire_Emblem_ posted...
NSGraphite posted...
I can make it last more than 20 years.

thats very dependant upon where you live and what your situation is. in the mid-west you can make that stretch a lot further, but any major metropolis near a coast will drain you in a decade.
PS4 at 100 million baby!

User Info: lostkiwi

lostkiwi
4 weeks ago#55
altblahblahblah posted...
he's right though, the post he was responding to was wrong about a great many things.

For instance

The Estate Tax (which he referred to as the death tax) Only kicks in above $5.3 million, it would not apply to a $1 million inheritance.
The post he was responding to was mine.
And I didn't say a single thing about inheritance, or tax, or anything of that like.

User Info: lostkiwi

lostkiwi
4 weeks ago#56
Fire_Emblem_ posted...
The average person makes less than 50 thousand a year in America... How the f*** would a million not last you long?? Lol
Because of inflation.

Inflation means the value of money decreases over time.

The median household income in America at the moment is $59,000. So it's easy to say that in theory, 59k per annum will see you through retirement.

However, at an inflation rate of 3%, that $59k equates to only $24k worth of 'todays' dollars in 30 years time.

To put it another way, the average household income in the US 30 years ago (1989) was $28,906. Image having this discussion back then, and thinking that would be enough to see you through the preceding 30 years. You would be living in poverty by now.

User Info: PS4TW

PS4TW
4 weeks ago#57
Because our system is setup to chain you to working so we benefit the top 1%. 1 million could very well last you to death but it’s a gamble. Health issues can easily bankrupt a person, house repairs, car repairs and upkeep as well. Even a person with a million is still very much a slave.
"All life fears death from birth. Life fears death, but lives only to die." Necron(FF9)
"People are not moved by logic." -Mithos(TOS)

User Info: TheMKDestroyer

TheMKDestroyer
4 weeks ago#58
I'm no expert here but if you could someone manage on 2,000 a month then you can make a million dollars last 41 years and by the time you're 90 you probably won't care if you're broke and be put in a retirement home anyways.

User Info: RollingCradle

RollingCradle
4 weeks ago#59
1mil is jack s***.

Try funding Jet Force Gemini 2 with it and see how far your ass wont get.

User Info: lionhartwolf

lionhartwolf
4 weeks ago#60
doki-doki-panic posted...
HappyGuy posted...
You can retire whenever the hell you want to. If you have the money you can live a comfortable life and if you don’t you can live in a box.

Andrew Dice Clay once told me he knew an old woman who lived in a shoe.

Thats a fun reference you dont hear anymore. One Night with Dice was an underrated classic.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Can anyone explain why cant you retire once you reach $1M before 50?
  • Topic Archived