• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Doom 3 did not age well

User Info: OsafuneKatana

OsafuneKatana
1 month ago#21
I remember playing it on the original xbox and being impressed by the graphics, but annoyed with the level design and s***ty flashlight mechanic. I feel this should have been a different survival horror game instead of a Doom game.

I do have the BFG edition and, while the flashlight isssue has been fixed and helps a lot, it definitely is hard to sit and play it.
"What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets." -Dracula, Castlevania: SotN.

User Info: You_Need_A_Life

You_Need_A_Life
1 month ago#22
I3aniard posted...
DarkHalf91 posted...
It is a highly overated series to begin with.

I was expecting Dead space or another game equivalent to Dead space's quality level. I extremely feel disappointed. People that recommend it should stop, seriously.

It’s amazing lighting was its claim to fame when it was first released. Otherwise, yeah, it’s not an amazing game.
For any whom this post happens to offend, I can get you a great deal on a spine.

User Info: KnightimeX

KnightimeX
1 month ago#23
The one thing I strongly didn't like about Doom 3 was that enemies lacked hit marker sounds or any real indication of damage.

I think there was some kind of indicator but it was hardly noticeable.
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/264562-playstation-5

User Info: Decoy2man

Decoy2man
1 month ago#24
Doom3 actually killed Doom franchise, people werent taking it seriously
That was the reason Rage was made
And then Doom 2016 happened after throwing carmack out with idtech6 and old school formula with old school FPS feel , super fast and agile
Quake was also killed in similar fashion with Quake 4 , i hope they make new Quake like Quake 2, by Doom eternal team
Suki na Mono wa Suki dakara Shouganai!!

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
1 month ago#25
As much as I like DOOM as a series, DOOM 3 was just boring. Attempting a story was interesting, but with it came slow gameplay and horror elements. I have no idea what id Software was doing during that period, but RAGE 1 suffers from the same problem. Something to do with whatever engine they're using.

Luckily they grew out of it and DOOM is back on track. I'll replay DOOM 1, 2 and 2016 all the time, but I don't think I've ever replayed DOOM 3, and doubt I ever will.
Trump is the greatest president!
Deliver Brexit!

User Info: ssjmatthew

ssjmatthew
1 month ago#26
Ahhhh doom eternal is coming so now we hate doom 2016?

Gamefaqs needs to start a newsletter, I can't keep up with what we love and hate on a weekly basis, doom 2016 has been pretty much praised on this site from launch.
Never underestimate the stupidity of people, and never hesitate to take advantage of it.

User Info: DreddMnky

DreddMnky
1 month ago#27
Decoy2man posted...
Doom3 actually killed Doom franchise, people werent taking it seriously
That was the reason Rage was made
And then Doom 2016 happened after throwing carmack out with idtech6 and old school formula with old school FPS feel , super fast and agile
Quake was also killed in similar fashion with Quake 4 , i hope they make new Quake like Quake 2, by Doom eternal team

Everything you said is false. Doom 3, whether you like it or not, was a huge success. It sold extremely well and was a huge critical success for id Software. It was good enough that it warranted an expansion pack and a critical and financially successful- and technologically stunning- xbox port.

Doom 3 had nothing to do with "killing" the Doom franchise- it never died. The following generation saw restructuring at id, with Carmack leaving, the purchase by ZeniMax, the Apple showcase of Rage in '07 being rebuilt into the Rage we got in 2011, and the scraping of Doom 4 due to an attempt to follow the military style shooters popular at the time.

Quake 4 was also successful, although less so. It released in '05 at the launch of the 7th console generation when expectations were high. Developed by Raven, it ditched the multiplayer focus that became what many people knew Quake for. The PC title was great, but it didn't help that the 360 version suffered tech issues. Mostly the weak MP hurt its image.

But... I too would like another Quake. Like the first game, with a surreal blend of high fantasy, sci-fi, Lovecraft, and themes of Hell.

User Info: Beers

Beers
1 month ago#28
Are you guys not aware that Quake Champions exists?
Life before Death. Strength before Weakness. Journey before Destination.

User Info: EvilGiygas

EvilGiygas
1 month ago#29
pikey87 posted...
They actually didn't go a different direction at all, they carried on from doom 64s direction.

Not true.
"All games should be playable by all people without practicing or learning things" - skermac

User Info: AtWorkNotWorkin

AtWorkNotWorkin
1 month ago#30
I like it for what it is. A horror FPS with Doom style gunplay.
You were almost a Jill sandwich!!!
Mr. Dewitt catch!! Buy helldivers thank me later!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Doom 3 did not age well
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers