• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. PS4 Pro just got fried in a thunderstorm. Wanted to get some opinions...

User Info: Iron_Legion27

Iron_Legion27
1 month ago#1
Hey y’all,

So my ps4 pro that I have had since 2016 just got fried today on a power surge due to a thunderstorm. The strange part my ps4 wasn’t turned on during the storm but there was a loud pop and a electricity spark come from the outlet with the ps4 plugged in ( weird). So since it’s a out of warranty I was wondering if Sony would fix it or so I need to just buy a new one.

Second, money is kinda tight right now, so If I have to buy a new console, I might have to just get a standard slim ps4 that’s 300 instead of paying 400. Does GameStop take non working consoles? Since that PS5 probably is coming next year, if you were me would you just get the standard slim or pay the extra for the pro again?

Sorry for this off topic post. Just wanted to get some second opinions before I made a decision.
PSN ID- bgwarmachine18
Nintendo Switch FC- SW-1566-2060-4533

User Info: Agent_Stroud

Agent_Stroud
1 month ago#2
You sure the console itself is actually bricked and not the power supply? Honestly sounds like the power supply’s surge protector got tripped by the storm to me. 🤔
"Social Justice is actually a good thing and so far we haven't seen anything bad really from it at all." ~ john7281

User Info: Darkrobotisback

Darkrobotisback
1 month ago#3
Sounds like a potential fire hazard to me.
https://i.imgtc.com/0OYXVGt.jpg https://i.imgtc.com/VTA2CJg.jpg https://i.imgtc.ws/eItPpnr.jpg https://i.imgtc.com/NALoq1h.jpg
Oh noes I got censored!?

User Info: Atarigamer

Atarigamer
1 month ago#4
I'm wondering why did you didn't have it connected to a surge protector, they are quite cheap and can save your bacon. I have all my valued electronics powered via surge protection.
Gamer for life: PS4 Pro - Switch - Mame Cab - Raspberry pi 3b - ZX Spectrum - Commodore 64 - BBC Model B

User Info: DarkAscent

DarkAscent
1 month ago#5
The hardest part is figuring out if it is just the power supply that got fried. Do you know anyone good with electronics? Testing the PSU involves removing it from the console and using a multi-meter to check individual pins for voltage.

If you can confirm it is just the PSU somehow, replacing it is easy. You can get a replacement PSU for a PS4 Pro for about $75.
No he's okay. He just kicked ass on Double Dragon.

User Info: Agent_Stroud

Agent_Stroud
1 month ago#6
Atarigamer posted...
I'm wondering why did you didn't have it connected to a surge protector, they are quite cheap and can save your bacon. I have all my valued electronics powered via surge protection.

Does the PS4 not have a built-in surge protector like the Xbone? I was under the impression that at least the Pro did, but seeing as I don’t have one myself to check, I could very well be wrong.
"Social Justice is actually a good thing and so far we haven't seen anything bad really from it at all." ~ john7281

Iron_Legion27
1 month ago#7
Agent_Stroud posted...
You sure the console itself is actually bricked and not the power supply? Honestly sounds like the power supply’s surge protector got tripped by the storm to me. 🤔

Yea I might try to get a new power cord and see if it’s that.
PSN ID- bgwarmachine18

Iron_Legion27
1 month ago#8
Atarigamer posted...

Yea I have one for my computer and other electronics but thought the ps4 had a built in power surge thing. I had read that somewhere but sadly, I know now. But I am gonna try to get a new power cord before buying a new system.
PSN ID- bgwarmachine18

Iron_Legion27
1 month ago#9
Agent_Stroud posted...
Atarigamer posted...

Does the PS4 not have a built-in surge protector like the Xbone? I was under the impression that at least the Pro did, but seeing as I don’t have one myself to check, I could very well be wrong.

I thought it did, but apparently it doesn’t 😔.
PSN ID- bgwarmachine18

User Info: Ish_basic

Ish_basic
1 month ago#10
the off button on your PS4 does not affect the laws of electromagenetism, so the metal prongs and wires of the AC adapter will continue to conduct electricity, regardless. Also, consoles today will continue to use electricity even when "off" unless you tell them not to in settings.

Whatever you decide, make sure to get a surge protector or unplug your stuff during storms. And maybe see to your wires. I mean, I know back in the day you could get sparks through your outlet during a storm, but newer wiring, you really shouldn't be seeing that kind of thing often.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. PS4 Pro just got fried in a thunderstorm. Wanted to get some opinions...
  • Topic Archived