• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Should PS5 be backwards compatible with PS2?

User Info: Cotton_Eye_Joe

Cotton_Eye_Joe
3 weeks ago#1
Should PS5 be backwards compatible with PS2? - Results (83 votes)
Yes
84.34% (70 votes)
No
15.66% (13 votes)
This poll is now closed.
I have a ton of PS2 games.
Stop telling me to get games I already own!!!!

User Info: gilgamesh21

gilgamesh21
2 weeks ago#2
It should play every Playstation disc you put in it. Be region free for all discs. It should also have an optional accessory that plugs into a USB or dedicated port that allows you to play your physical PSP UMDs, and Vita cards.

User Info: JascoD

JascoD
2 weeks ago#3
gilgamesh21 posted...
It should play every Playstation disc you put in it. Be region free for all discs. It should also have an optional accessory that plugs into a USB or dedicated port that allows you to play your physical PSP UMDs, and Vita cards.

Sounds like the ultimate bad ass Playstation. True to the name, Play, Station.

But will never happen. Way more cash to get by re-selling ports.
It takes a maniac to catch a maniac.

User Info: Cotton_Eye_Joe

Cotton_Eye_Joe
2 weeks ago#4
gilgamesh21 posted...

Also ports for old controllers so we can play Bemani games.
Stop telling me to get games I already own!!!!

User Info: singhellotaku

singhellotaku
2 weeks ago#5
Yes, if anything because p2 emulation, or even including the old emotion chips is very VERY easy these days, and would be very cheap.

I understand not being compatible with ps3 because the cell chip was...well, weird, and makes bc hard. But ps1 and ps2 would be incredibly easy, and ps4 should basically work by default, given how similar the internal architecture should be now that they are basically heavily modified 64 bit pcs.
the community tag is a cancer on this website

User Info: singhellotaku

singhellotaku
2 weeks ago#6
gilgamesh21 posted...

you joke, but if there was a separate sku that did all that for and extra $200 or so, similar to the different sku's for 500 gb and 1tb, or launch/pro, i'd totally pay for that.
the community tag is a cancer on this website

User Info: streamofthesky

streamofthesky
2 weeks ago#7
It'd be nice to be able to play my PS2 library again, it's still probably my largest game library, and the prices for a PS2 are ridiculous.

Expecting Sony at this point to do anything that benefits their longtime customers is rather fanciful, though. I more expect them to let MS be the guinea pig for pushing the boundaries of consumer outrage, then merrily rushing in each time it seems like gamers have accepted new indecencies against them (DRM, always online, messing w/ used game sales, streaming subscription services, whatever they can get away with).

User Info: Valiant_Kaiser

Valiant_Kaiser
2 weeks ago#8
It'll only happen if Sony botches the launch as bad as the X1 then needs to win over people. Otherwise, say hello to rebuying them digitally.

User Info: Rayder

Rayder
2 weeks ago#9
I wish PS5 would play PS1 and PS2 games. I could live with it not running PS3 games. PS1/2 aren't HDMI compliant natively, so they need supported by a system that is HDMI native. Sure, PS3 can play PS1, but only some PS3's can play PS2, and many of those have died long ago. I have a PS3 Super Slim that can only do PS1. Need a PS2 HDMI solution without having to use some third-party converter.

Plus, on a PS5, they could add better enhancements than what the PS3 had to improve the image quality.
I like games. I play them. I have some. I keep them on a harddrive in my console. I'd like to have more of them. That's where PSN comes in.....

User Info: rjames80

rjames80
2 weeks ago#10
It would be nice, but it's not necessary. At this point, I barely have enough time to play the new games I want to play. It's pretty rare that I can find time to go back and play games that I've already played.
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho for President!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Should PS5 be backwards compatible with PS2?
  • Topic Archived