• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. "They're not lootboxes, they're "Surprise Mechanics"

User Info: gjc2007

gjc2007
3 weeks ago#1
You can't make. this. s***. up.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/ea-loot-boxes
https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1141386232347410432

Just listening to that makes feel like I'm hearing a person force bulls*** through the cracks of their teeth similar to how a playdoh press pushes playdoh through a bunch of tiny holes.

Get f***ed EA. Wow.
Console wars are stupid

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
3 weeks ago#2
Yeah, don't like the "surprise mechanics" bit, that's just asinine, but can see the comparison to Kinder Eggs.

Still think right now they should lay out two ground rules - no selling power in a competitive environment, and disclose odds for items along with a complete list of items in-game - and see what happens with that in place before doing anything else.
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!

gjc2007
3 weeks ago#3
"It's like a kinder egg"

*literally functions like a slot machine*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BBtsMFDypU
Console wars are stupid

theshoveller
3 weeks ago#4
gjc2007 posted...
"It's like a kinder egg"

*literally functions like a slot machine*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BBtsMFDypU

That's also the only one that actually looks like a slot machine, as far as I know, which was asinine from a design point. Then again, PSO2's scratch cards are a bit like a lotto ticket where you scratch one of three panels off.

User Info: AzaneAzer

AzaneAzer
3 weeks ago#5
theshoveller posted...
That's also the only one that actually looks like a slot machine, as far as I know, which was asinine from a design point.

The People who design Slot Machines are the same people designing the Bright colors, loud noise, and the 4 frames of the legendary color shining when a lootbox opens to make you think "Oh I almost got a legendary", The coin sounds when looted items "land" to sound like a Jackpot noise from a slot machine.

theshoveller
3 weeks ago#6
AzaneAzer posted...
theshoveller posted...
That's also the only one that actually looks like a slot machine, as far as I know, which was asinine from a design point.

The People who design Slot Machines are the same people designing the Bright colors, loud noise, and the 4 frames of the legendary color shining when a lootbox opens to make you think "Oh I almost got a legendary", The coin sounds when looted items "land" to sound like a Jackpot noise from a slot machine.

Huh, none of the games I played other than Overwatch had the stuff you mentioned. ME3 just had silver, gold, and black, and no special noises that I knew of. DA:I didn't either. And PSO2 doesn't really do anything different, either.

User Info: Ju-Ku

Ju-Ku
3 weeks ago#7
I knew it had to be EA who said this even before clicking on this topic.

User Info: Kent233

Kent233
3 weeks ago#8
"surprise you get ripped off!"
1/2 complete! New nemesis system game!!
Now where is my pawn system

gjc2007
3 weeks ago#9
The little chuckle you can hear from the guy as she forces the words "surprise mechanics" through her mouth hole says it all.

None of them are buying the pure bulls*** EA is spewing.
Console wars are stupid

User Info: AzaneAzer

AzaneAzer
3 weeks ago#10
theshoveller posted...
Huh, none of the games I played other than Overwatch had the stuff you mentioned. ME3 just had silver, gold, and black, and no special noises that I knew of. DA:I didn't either. And PSO2 doesn't really do anything different, either.

We can kind of go back and forth on specifics, It's a common practice to make Gacha's loud, bright, and "Close to reward", It's probably become much more common on games since Overwatch.

Psychologists are making these things to be addicting.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. "They're not lootboxes, they're "Surprise Mechanics"
  • Topic Archived