• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. journalists furious over game where you have to take out journalist

User Info: Biscotti

Biscotti
4 weeks ago#21
ufara posted...
Biscotti posted...
theshoveller posted...
rjames80 posted...
I doubt this would've happened, if journalists weren't in such a troubling situation because of deplorable and irresponsible remarks made by our current president.

Telling them to "learn to code" is a violation of Twitter's ToS.

Making a single scenario in a game where one could leak info not meant to be leaked or else bad stuff happens is apparently worthy of complaints and removal from a game.

Decrying the death of journalistic integrity when major media outlets jump the gun and publish a false narrative before having all the facts, then never issuing a retraction and instead simply editing stories to look as if they were right all along is worthy of scorn from them.

Journalists - not all journalists, but enough of them - have been f***ing up lately and then acting as if they're above reproach, seated in ivory towers. Even when they make mistakes. Even when they don't check sources because "it's good for the narrative we want to push, so go ahead and push." Even when they should report the truth, but can't because the agenda rules all.

Yeah, I'd think that journalists deserve it. At least, some of them. And if they aren't the ones that would be in that position, then they shouldn't have anything to worry about or be upset over, right? I mean, that's what people tell me all the time when blanket statements and scorn are directed towards any group I identify with and I voice my disdain for it, and people disagree with me.

Maybe I should look into becoming a journalist, myself.

Learn to Code was directed at the Buzzfeed folks, which I understand.

And I don't disagree with some of your points, but a free press is vital for a democracy. I know you guys in the USA have this polarised zeitgeist right now, but you still have it better than the UK (at least as far as newspapers and print media are concerned).

Anyway, that's kinda wider than the topic. Carry on gents.

How's the spoon ban going over there?

Say what now?

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
4 weeks ago#22
Biscotti posted...
Learn to Code was directed at the Buzzfeed folks, which I understand.

And I don't disagree with some of your points, but a free press is vital for a democracy. I know you guys in the USA have this polarised zeitgeist right now, but you still have it better than the UK (at least as far as newspapers and print media are concerned).

Anyway, that's kinda wider than the topic. Carry on gents.

Oh, I agree that opinion pieces and whatnot, as well as theories formulated by the ones writing the articles, will have differing points of view, and that all those are needed. Like I said, though, I think we get too many who hear the slightest whiff of news, run with it without verifying anything, and when they're caught with their pants down because they didn't verify before publishing, don't instead issue a retraction and their deepest condolences to those they wronged with faulty info, they simply bury the wrong info and post the right stuff, and act as if nothing wrong was done.

And yeah, while the US is fairly super-polarized, it's still a good deal better than the UK in terms of that sort of thing. We haven't yet reached the "I'm calling the cops on this bad thing you said on the internet to me that I took as hateful" level of absurdity that runs in the UK.
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!

User Info: Maverick_Reznor

Maverick_Reznor
4 weeks ago#23
dkgerbil2 posted...
Journalists do come under intense scrutiny and hate,

lately because they report false news
Currently Playing: Dragons Dogma (Switch) & FFX (Switch)

User Info: WTGHookshot

WTGHookshot
4 weeks ago#24
dkgerbil2 posted...
WTGHookshot posted...
After all, I'm not sure how a journalist can have free speech and yet limit the free speech of others (i.e., in this case, game developers); it seems quite hyperbolic.

That's not how free speech works. It doesn't give you the ability to say anything you want or to avoid consequence for the things you say.
Hence why journalists are targeted by violence a lot of the time; they are free to say what they want to say, but what they say sometimes has violent consequences depending on who they ticked off with what they said.

Nothing against journalists, but I feel if they want the right to say what they want to say in their journalism, then they should also allow and want the right for others to say what they want to say. To me, it seems hypocritical. And before you say, again, "it doesn't give you the ability to say anything you want or to avoid consequence for the things you say," I will posit that having a game or a book or a movie or TV show where a journalist is killed is no more (nor any less) of contributing to real life violence against journalists than someone performing violence because of something a journalist has stated. The onus, in both cases, is on the person performing the violence, not the journalist, not the game maker, not the movie producer, not the author, etc.
Thanos was wrong. Mike Ehrmantraut, "The moral of the story is: I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way ... No more half measures."

WTGHookshot
4 weeks ago#25
ufara posted...
theshoveller posted...

Journalists - not all journalists, but enough of them - have been f***ing up lately

Lately?

People have been critical of journalism for centuries now.

Moreso, though, in the past 30 years, at least in the US. In the 80s, news stations were bought out by big corporate entities and changed the news from an informational segment into a ratings competition like TV shows. Ever since then, news has become sensationalized because sensational news sells moreso than traditional news where they were required by law to present both sides of an argument.
Thanos was wrong. Mike Ehrmantraut, "The moral of the story is: I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way ... No more half measures."
(message deleted)

User Info: ZeroX91

ZeroX91
4 weeks ago#27
Lol
Waving the flag is fun.

WTGHookshot
4 weeks ago#28
Well, I do know it was brought up in a couple CNN documentaries. I just don't know if you'd classify "documentaries" as "news."

User Info: Artemis86

Artemis86
4 weeks ago#29
WTGHookshot posted...
Well, I do know it was brought up in a couple CNN documentaries. I just don't know if you'd classify "documentaries" as "news."

Damn didnt delete fast enough. I often post and then decide against wanting to get into the convo.
Anyhow, i'd count it. Last i checked, no one had reported on it all (propaganda being made legal that is). I used to want to be a journalist, long ago. Made me sad to learn about it. News is basically entertainment now.

User Info: ufara

ufara
4 weeks ago#30
WTGHookshot posted...
ufara posted...
theshoveller posted...

Journalists - not all journalists, but enough of them - have been f***ing up lately

Lately?

People have been critical of journalism for centuries now.

Moreso, though, in the past 30 years, at least in the US. In the 80s, news stations were bought out by big corporate entities and changed the news from an informational segment into a ratings competition like TV shows. Ever since then, news has become sensationalized because sensational news sells moreso than traditional news where they were required by law to present both sides of an argument.

Social Media isn't helping them either as one could learn about events faster than what Jounos can present them.

As well as with less filters.
My t**s are in permanent party mode. They refuse to be calm.
If it looks like I'm s*** posting, I'm probably s*** posting.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. journalists furious over game where you have to take out journalist
  • Topic Archived