• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. journalists furious over game where you have to take out journalist

User Info: WTGHookshot

WTGHookshot
4 weeks ago#11
dkgerbil2 posted...
Journalists do come under intense scrutiny and hate, though. Anything that could even remotely encourage violence against them shouldn't be in a game because they're already more prone to violence than many other occupations.
I disagree, personally. In my opinion, no one should be off limits in a game, especially journalists. After all, I'm not sure how a journalist can have free speech and yet limit the free speech of others (i.e., in this case, game developers); it seems quite hyperbolic. It's like saying, "Police are already more prone to violence than many other occupations... We should prevent video games where police are the targets, so we don't encourage real life violence against police." Or "Soldiers are already more prone to violence than many other occupations... We should prevent video games where soldiers are the targets, so we don't encourage real life violence against soldiers."

Mind you, that's just my opinion and you are welcome to your own as well.
Thanos was wrong. Mike Ehrmantraut, "The moral of the story is: I chose a half measure when I should have gone all the way ... No more half measures."

User Info: dkgerbil2

dkgerbil2
4 weeks ago#12
WTGHookshot posted...
After all, I'm not sure how a journalist can have free speech and yet limit the free speech of others (i.e., in this case, game developers); it seems quite hyperbolic.

That's not how free speech works. It doesn't give you the ability to say anything you want or to avoid consequence for the things you say.
All my friends are in bar bands.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=facVh75-vW4

User Info: rjames80

rjames80
4 weeks ago#13
I doubt this would've happened, if journalists weren't in such a troubling situation because of deplorable and irresponsible remarks made by our current president.
Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho for President!

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
4 weeks ago#14
rjames80 posted...
I doubt this would've happened, if journalists weren't in such a troubling situation because of deplorable and irresponsible remarks made by our current president.

Telling them to "learn to code" is a violation of Twitter's ToS.

Making a single scenario in a game where one could leak info not meant to be leaked or else bad stuff happens is apparently worthy of complaints and removal from a game.

Decrying the death of journalistic integrity when major media outlets jump the gun and publish a false narrative before having all the facts, then never issuing a retraction and instead simply editing stories to look as if they were right all along is worthy of scorn from them.

Journalists - not all journalists, but enough of them - have been f***ing up lately and then acting as if they're above reproach, seated in ivory towers. Even when they make mistakes. Even when they don't check sources because "it's good for the narrative we want to push, so go ahead and push." Even when they should report the truth, but can't because the agenda rules all.

Yeah, I'd think that journalists deserve it. At least, some of them. And if they aren't the ones that would be in that position, then they shouldn't have anything to worry about or be upset over, right? I mean, that's what people tell me all the time when blanket statements and scorn are directed towards any group I identify with and I voice my disdain for it, and people disagree with me.

Maybe I should look into becoming a journalist, myself.
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!

User Info: Jason_Hudson

Jason_Hudson
4 weeks ago#15
So I'm guessing journalists only care when it happens to their own, they'll praise Call of Duty where you shoot soldiers (and in MP you can play as a Nazi and shoot Allied soldiers) or when you mow down hundreds of coppers when you play GTA (or any crime game).

Everyone gets targeted at some point. I don't get upset when I'm playing a WW2 (or whatever) game where I'm having to fight against my countrymen, it's a video game.
TRUMP IS THE GREATEST PRESIDENT!

User Info: ufara

ufara
4 weeks ago#16
theshoveller posted...

Journalists - not all journalists, but enough of them - have been f***ing up lately

Lately?

People have been critical of journalism for centuries now.
My t**s are in permanent party mode. They refuse to be calm.
If it looks like I'm s*** posting, I'm probably s*** posting.

User Info: Biscotti

Biscotti
4 weeks ago#17
theshoveller posted...
rjames80 posted...

Making a single scenario in a game where one could leak info not meant to be leaked or else bad stuff happens is apparently worthy of complaints and removal from a game.

Decrying the death of journalistic integrity when major media outlets jump the gun and publish a false narrative before having all the facts, then never issuing a retraction and instead simply editing stories to look as if they were right all along is worthy of scorn from them.

Journalists - not all journalists, but enough of them - have been f***ing up lately and then acting as if they're above reproach, seated in ivory towers. Even when they make mistakes. Even when they don't check sources because "it's good for the narrative we want to push, so go ahead and push." Even when they should report the truth, but can't because the agenda rules all.

Yeah, I'd think that journalists deserve it. At least, some of them. And if they aren't the ones that would be in that position, then they shouldn't have anything to worry about or be upset over, right? I mean, that's what people tell me all the time when blanket statements and scorn are directed towards any group I identify with and I voice my disdain for it, and people disagree with me.

Learn to Code was directed at the Buzzfeed folks, which I understand.

And I don't disagree with some of your points, but a free press is vital for a democracy. I know you guys in the USA have this polarised zeitgeist right now, but you still have it better than the UK (at least as far as newspapers and print media are concerned).

Anyway, that's kinda wider than the topic. Carry on gents.

User Info: ufara

ufara
4 weeks ago#18
Biscotti posted...
theshoveller posted...
rjames80 posted...

Learn to Code was directed at the Buzzfeed folks, which I understand.

And I don't disagree with some of your points, but a free press is vital for a democracy. I know you guys in the USA have this polarised zeitgeist right now, but you still have it better than the UK (at least as far as newspapers and print media are concerned).

Anyway, that's kinda wider than the topic. Carry on gents.

How's the spoon ban going over there?
My t**s are in permanent party mode. They refuse to be calm.
If it looks like I'm s*** posting, I'm probably s*** posting.

User Info: Mr Marbles

Mr Marbles
4 weeks ago#19
Actual journalists or article copying bloggers?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pC49AqKlgs *Salutes* 11/15/2002-2006
Honest and Happy Multi-Console owner

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
4 weeks ago#20
ufara posted...
theshoveller posted...

Journalists - not all journalists, but enough of them - have been f***ing up lately

Lately?

People have been critical of journalism for centuries now.

Eh, I'm only saying "lately" because, while journalists have been unpopular at times ever since their profession first birthed into being, it's only lately - the last 10-20 years or so - where mistakes they make / made aren't being dealt with in a professional manner, and are instead being pushed as "the truth, regardless of what anyone else says." We see editorial and opinion pieces being touted as fact, and how dare you question them. We see journalists acting more and more as "a protected class, and we should be free from scrutiny!" and the sad part? People are actually backing that up, which only reinforces the "free from scrutiny" mindset they're developing.

Like any job, there are "good journalists," and there are "bad journalists." Doesn't matter what they cover - games, movies, foreign news, local news, whatever. You will have those who have integrity and those who do not. And sadly, I think lately, we've been getting "those who do not" far more often than we do "those who do."
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. journalists furious over game where you have to take out journalist
  • Topic Archived