• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Ex PlayStation America Boss Says Sony Is Well Positioned for Next-Gen but...

User Info: GoogleNews

GoogleNews
1 month ago#1
Ex PlayStation America Boss Says Sony Is Well Positioned for Next-Gen but Will Face Exponentially Greater Competition

https://bit.ly/2LTUmRj (wccftech.com)

Sony officially made the first step towards the next-generation of consoles a few weeks ago when it unveiled a few key specifications of the upcoming PlayStation 5 (we’re pretty much sure it will be called that even though Sony didn’t actually reference it with this name yet). We know it will feature an eight-core 7nm CPU based on AMD’s Zen2 architecture, a custom GPU based on AMD’s Navi architecture with hardware support for raytracing, a dedicated unit for 3D audio and a custom SSD that’s supposed to make loading screens relics of the past.

We expect Microsoft to make its own big announcement during the E3 Media Briefing (Sunday, June 9th, 1 PM Pacific Time), perhaps going into even greater detail of what its next-generation Xbox will be able to do. Regardless, even though these devices won’t launch this year, the race is on.

It is therefore interesting to read the opinion of Jack Tretton, who’s been an executive at Sony for almost thirty years, the last eight of which he spent as the president and CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA). In an interview posted yesterday by GamesBeat, he said Sony as the market leader is obviously well positioned but he also expects them to face exponentially greater competition than the last time.

I think they’re very well-positioned. The leader of the prior generation is always in a good position going into the new generation. From what I’ve read about the specs of PlayStation 5, it sounds impressive. Their business model obviously worked well for them the last time around, and it doesn’t look like they’re going to deviate from that. They’ll be well-positioned. But I do think they’ll face exponentially more competition than they did the last time around.

Microsoft should give them a better run for their money, and Stadia is a new wrinkle in the market that didn’t exist in 2013. Nintendo is more relevant this time around. It’s going to be a much more competitive market. There are new players. But they’ve learned some valuable lessons in this generation. It should be great for everyone in the business, whether you’re a developer or a gamer. It’s going to keep everyone on their toes.

Do you agree with Tretton’s assessment that it will be much tougher for Sony this time around? Tell us in the comments.
https://news.google.com/

User Info: FrozenSneak

FrozenSneak
1 month ago#2
They actually will. MS has learned from their original X1 f***-up and has been making alot of moves lately by accquiring studios and expanding the brand. The Switch is selling on-pace with the PS4(it has already overtaken PS4 sales in Japan in a fraction of the time) and already has a very considerable head-start by the time the next-gen Playstation and Xbox releases.

This won't be a repeat of Wii U and Xbox 1 where MS and Nintendo literally handed Sony the whole generation on a silver-platter.
"The silent voice within one's heart whispers the most profound wisdom"-Nyx.https://imgur.com/ZqZhxnU
https://imgur.com/eRLSPID

User Info: Kazuya_80

Kazuya_80
1 month ago#3
well postiioned, yeah like during the PS2 era, not really a good way to gauge a new gen console

User Info: youngskillz

youngskillz
1 month ago#4
the only thing different will be if xbox is more successful this time, which will be tough.

ms needs those newly aquired devs to create some cool new games for the xbox brand.

switch is largely irrelevent regardless of it's sales, maybe it'll get some japanese games that ditch sony because of censorship? yay.

basically it'll still be xbox and playstation, with nintendo sitting at the kids table, an some new stream box trying to play too..

streaming content will always see a rise going forward but meh, couldn't get me excited for that unless there were some super awesome new exclusive games being released only through streaming.

an yeah that ain't happening really anytime too soon.
Metal Bands -- Dawn of Ashes, Disarmonia Mundi, Words Of Farewell, I Spit Ashes, Urilia, Dark Portrait, Temple of Demigod, Sidious, Septic Flesh.

User Info: chiefofsb78

chiefofsb78
1 month ago#5
Lol yea ok

User Info: MeteoraXV

MeteoraXV
1 month ago#6
it is very simple what MS needs to do

it needs another Xbox 360

literally the only reason they've been failing so much is because Xbox lacks Japanese games

if your console doesn't have a decent number of japanese (exclusive?) titles, good luck selling it

i personally have zero interest in Xbox, but i've recently bought an X360 AGAIN (after having lost my first one) simply because i love the japanese games on it. I played Ace Combat 6 on it last friday, which is an X360 exclusive, and it's fricking awesome. also gonna replay Infinite Undiscovery, which i loved. and i'm gonna get a bunch of games i missed during that gen that are X360 exclusive

i believe that the X360 is the most successful Xbox console, so yeah it doesnt take a rocket scientist to put two and two together to realize that in case MS wants to actually succeed in the console market, they need Japanese games - it doesnt matter whether Japanese would actually buy such a console or not, because the Japanese console market is by and large irrelevant in the bigger picture. it is mainly about being able to capture the european and american markets through a solid offering of japanese games

Xbox actually has a good edge over the competition in technical aspects - games are far easier to develop for Xbox than for Playstation (i dunno if that's still the case) and the Xbox has always been more powerful (i think). those are major reasons why Itagaki hated playstation and loved xbox, if only other Japanese devs followed suit, i might very well have been an Xbox gamer today and not mainly a PS gamer

It also means that people in the rest of the world who game primarily for Japanese content won’t even stop to consider an Xbox- and there are a lot of such people. The popularity of Japanese media internationally (Persona 5 sold 1.5 million units outside of Japan, NieR sold 2 million units in non-Japanese territories, most of Xenoblade 2‘s sales come from outside of Japan) is evidence enough. In fact, many major markets, such as continental European ones like France and Spain, are very inclined towards Japanese content- which means, again, Xbox, in those markets, is reduced to being a non-factor (this is something we ca actually observe, from the Xbox One’s poor sales in continental European markets, and the high sales of Switch and PS4 there, as well as of Japanese games). Xbox, then, only ends up locking itself out of an even larger portion of the market willingly.

https://gamingbolt.com/succesful-consoles-require-japanese-games-and-xbox-needs-to-realize-that-fact-quickly

User Info: bigjclassic

bigjclassic
1 month ago#7
FrozenSneak posted...
They actually will. MS has learned from their original X1 f***-up and has been making alot of moves lately by accquiring studios and expanding the brand. The Switch is selling on-pace with the PS4(it has already overtaken PS4 sales in Japan in a fraction of the time) and already has a very considerable head-start by the time the next-gen Playstation and Xbox releases.

This won't be a repeat of Wii U and Xbox 1 where MS and Nintendo literally handed Sony the whole generation on a silver-platter.

agreed
PSN: classicviolence; NNID: (Ryusaki_J)
Last signature was censored by the internet police for being too real

User Info: ckross144

ckross144
1 month ago#8
Xbox has been on an upward trajectory almost this whole generation, they just started six feet under and never had a real chance to catch up, likewise the switch is looking like its going to be coasting into its golden period right around the launch of the next gen ones. Year 1 launches are typically a handful of gems mixed in with a lot of cross generation games so the switch being in a strong place can 100% effect the next gen consoles especially if a lot of the indie space games that are used as Y1 filler make their way to the switch as well.

Lastly Sony has been nicking themselves with cross play and censorship issues that could drive people to other platforms as well. They're not in a bad place per se but they definitely arent going to coast this gen either IMO.
As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero
3DS FC 3093-7602-1839

User Info: Insaan

Insaan
1 month ago#9
FrozenSneak posted...

MS may have learned but I think they also f***ed up at the most crucial moment in gaming history. This is the generation when most people went to having digital libraries and ecosystem has become a very important factor going forward. It’ll be nigh impossible to convince people to abandon all their investment in an ecosystem and move to another.

User Info: Insaan

Insaan
1 month ago#10
Kazuya_80 posted...
well postiioned, yeah like during the PS2 era, not really a good way to gauge a new gen console

So many stars had to align in that 2005-2006 time period for MS to end up just below Playstation. I don’t think MS will be so lucky again. At best neither of them f***s up which means the best case scenario for MS is a 2:1 victory for Playstation. Let’s not be dense here, Playstation is simply a much bigger brand around the world and Sony has the best studios making the best games for their platform. There’s no competing with that.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Ex PlayStation America Boss Says Sony Is Well Positioned for Next-Gen but...
  • Topic Archived