• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. FF7 Re - Vocal Japan doesn't like new Aerith

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#71
ace_spades111 posted...
lol you watch a trailer a few times and YouTube recommends stuff you wouldn't expect.

In general what I find interesting is the cultural shift in reception of Aerith, which seems to be positive on the English writing side of social media but different for the Japanese.

Granted I have no idea if the video I saw exaggerated the state of Japanese social media for clicks and views but if true...
I'm guessing it's the more anime design preferring fans, but apparently the vocal internet users (possibly vocal minority) have the following problems with new Aerith

- Looks older than her Crisis Core counter part (duh)
- Face too long and/or big
- Eyes too small

Apparently a slight redesign has caught popularity over there in terms of retweets or something, where all they really do is shrink her head a bit.

Thoughts on if you find the difference in popular opinion between cultures intriguing?
Thoughts on which design style you prefer?

Personally I love "anime like" like art, but the more real you try to make something look (well with 3DCG) while keeping anime facial features as strong assets... its not my favorite style.
I prefer smaller eyes, but I can get behind the less long face I guess. But ultimately I'd go for the middle.

https://imgtc.ws/i/N7HCW6l.png
Crisis Core - Trailer - Japanese fan touch up

Left image is the best
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Viper187666

Viper187666
3 weeks ago#72
You guys liking the left image need f***in glasses. Ugh
My command center: http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/desk12082018a.jpg
http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/desk12082018b.jpg

User Info: Fade2black001

Fade2black001
3 weeks ago#73
Viper187666 posted...

Why? Its the image that looks the most accurate. The right image is awful. The middle one is fine but the left one is the best.

Also telling people that need glasses is awful. I mean we could all say the same to you. It all about opinions and personal preference. You have your opinion and the rest of us have ours. If you don't agree then that's fine. No need to get offensive here.
Put on a smile cause Jesus loves you

User Info: Cynrascal

Cynrascal
3 weeks ago#74
Pharsti01 posted...
Viper187666 posted...
jairusmonillas posted...
Does it really matter? Aerith is going to die anyways.

Tifa is the only one who matters.

Being called Aerith instead of Aeris in the English version already ruins her for me. f*** that s***. They need to stick with exactly what they did the first time around whether some people think it was right or not. To everyone who played the english version of the original, she's Aeris. If you want the f***ing TH, switch to the Japanese version.

Nope.

Translation error, since KH and in every piece of media since, they corrected it.
They wont put the wrong name now. Its childish to be so hung up on this.

Throw in the fact that there is no traditional "-th" sound in Japanese. "-s" is the closest they've got. Kind of like how there is no traditional "-l" sound in Japanese and they have to use "-r" as a replacement.
When were you under the impression that being a "JRPG hipster" is a bad thing?
Being normal isn't some sort of badge of honor.

User Info: ace_spades111

ace_spades111
3 weeks ago#75
Devilman_Amon posted...
ace_spades111 posted...
we'd still never know how the non social media/forum using people feel

and who cares then

I don't.

Do you?

I mean I cared enough to make a topic but that isn't much.

That and kinda irrelevant to this reply chain... Since you came in to simply say it's a vocal minority and I just clarified I never stated vocal majority or minority... Simply vocal

User Info: ace_spades111

ace_spades111
3 weeks ago#76
Fade2black001 posted...
Viper187666 posted...

Why? Its the image that looks the most accurate. The right image is awful. The middle one is fine but the left one is the best.

Also telling people that need glasses is awful. I mean we could all say the same to you. It all about opinions and personal preference. You have your opinion and the rest of us have ours. If you don't agree then that's fine. No need to get offensive here.

Most accurate how?

User Info: Viper187666

Viper187666
3 weeks ago#77
ace_spades111 posted...
Fade2black001 posted...
Viper187666 posted...

Most accurate how?

Exactly. It looks like a f***ing Anime schoolgirl, not an FF character. The 2 on the right look the same and that's the better look for her.
My command center: http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/desk12082018a.jpg
http://viper.shadowflareindustries.com/images/myroom/desk12082018b.jpg

User Info: erAEISer

erAEISer
3 weeks ago#78
NSGraphite posted...
Sir_Haxor posted...
ace_spades111 posted...
Sir_Haxor posted...
FFVII is garbage regardless (the entire franchise is actually) and it shows when fans are actually asking for a poor translation on purpose.

Meanwhile other communities are begging for accurate scripts in localizations. But I guess that's to be expected when FF appeals to non RPG/Japanese gaming fans on a mainstream level. Those people don't care about quality so it works out.

alright there calm your nerd boner
The name practically has nothing to do with people who want proper translations and what not as translations actually serve a deeper purpose.

Names on the other hand. Sure the can hold some meaning like how Aerith is an anagram for iEARTH but besides that not much else.
I think the nostalgia factor of Aeris beats that anagram

Also a names a name. iirc in the Japanese the name is pronounced Aeris, well Aeris-u (Earisu Geinzuburu).
At least we want something that sounds like her name.

You guys are basically the lazy locals that meets a guy named Jin, and calls him J-in when his names pronunciation is actually closer to Jean (if you didn't wanna force your native tongue too hard)
The whole Aerith Aeris thing is practically calling Jin, Jim because suddenly we were told yeah, thats what its supposed to be

Considering I'm actually learning Japanese now, no I wouldn't make a blunder on that level.

And this is beyond Aerith's name. People are asking for Mr.T like script changes/voice work for a character that was given a terrible localization 2 decades prior, when they actually have a chance to set things right.

Anyone who deliberately was to sabotage a localization is a moron. In other words, a FF fan.

Barret needs to stay Mr T. That was awesome. I could always imagine him yelling "I PIDDY DA FOOOOO!!!!!!" whenever he was shooting his gun arm in the air in frustration. You cant remaster that kinda nostalgia.

They seem to have already changed his manner as speech though. No more jive, AAVE speaking in a fictional world where no one speaks it. Or at least what I gathered. I would hope it's this way throughout the whole game.

Plus, f*** your nostalgia. I'd rather play the game with a localization close to how the original was. I'm excited for the newest localization of Barret. Let's do his character some justice, shall we?
-Angela says hi.

User Info: EbonTitanium

EbonTitanium
3 weeks ago#79
Middle is the best.
I don't know which is worse: fanboys or elitist.
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. FF7 Re - Vocal Japan doesn't like new Aerith
  • Topic Archived