• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. I'm getting Disgaea 5...

User Info: nayss

nayss
4 weeks ago#1
Do I need to know the previous instalments to understand this one?

Thanks in advance.
"i'm softer than a thrift store sweater and twice as worn in."

User Info: Artemis86

Artemis86
4 weeks ago#2
They'll help with gameplay, but prior installments were separate stories AFAIK with their own casts.

Laharl was a superior protagonist to Killia tho. Imo.

User Info: Elmdor043

Elmdor043
4 weeks ago#3
No, just play the one that seems the most interesting to you. I've basically sworn off of them because I tried to go in order, hated the stories (especially 3's) and they all felt the same. I might've liked them better starting with 4 or 5. Makai Kingdom was tight though, I wish they'd do another one of those.

User Info: ChowYunFatt

ChowYunFatt
4 weeks ago#4
Are you sure you are even ready for it?
Not as good as some, but far better than most.

User Info: kamikaze135

kamikaze135
4 weeks ago#5
Each game is stand alone but each game tends to include cameos of cast from the older series that you can recruit. These cameos are short and not part of the story. With each release, Disgaea games get more and more complex. I used to love them but after the 4th or 5th, they became too overwhelming for me.
This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time -Tyler Durden

User Info: Vayu_The_End

Vayu_The_End
4 weeks ago#6
Artemis86 posted...
They'll help with gameplay, but prior installments were separate stories AFAIK with their own casts.

Killia is bland as stale bread.
I dunno if this is normal for the series, since I've only played 5, but he was not an interesting character.
"I will not be denied!"

User Info: LoneEarthWorlf

LoneEarthWorlf
4 weeks ago#7
Killia was pretty stale. Adell was somewhat up there. Mao was in the middle. Laharl, zetta, and valvatorez were good. Though 4s cast was pretty bad in my opinion.

User Info: leeman3104

leeman3104
3 weeks ago#8
@Vayu_The_End posted...
Artemis86 posted...

Killia is bland as stale bread.
I dunno if this is normal for the series, since I've only played 5, but he was not an interesting character.

honestly the further they get along in number, the more boring the story and characters feel to me, really. a lot less dark humor, more anime trope bulls***.

5 even goes so far as to try to avoid the whole "demons are swapping good/bad ideas" sort of vibe the other games just rolled with.

to me, mao was the last disgaea protag that actually feels like he's meant to be a demon. there was still some dark humor, acting like demons there, but the whole friendlier tone started and the whole 'power of friendship/heart' idea. and does every disgaea protag need some sort of backstory making them hella strong but it's something hidden/can't usually be tapped into? laharal, adell, rosalin, mao, val, and killia all have that. (and i know adell didn't act like a demon, that was kinda his schtick, but everyone else did)

but, tbh i love the series more for it's gameplay at this point than interested in it's characters. i started with two, and fell in love with the dark humor aspects long enough to get to the postgame, to fall in love with THAT, so just because i dislike the sort of story in 4 and 5, they're still alright to me.
https://imgur.com/a/cZzvkKn jrpg is referring to a genre, not the location it was made.
https://imgur.com/a/QjeVqSD me versus sjw/antisjw/censorship stuff

User Info: RocketZXblue

RocketZXblue
3 weeks ago#9
simply put, no, it has it's own story and main characters
there's a crapton of references probably
i honestly think it's one of the easiest games in the series at least main story wise
not saying it's a simple casual game, it still has most of the elements of the previous series and you could raise the enemy levels yourself if it's too easy, game has a "cheat shop" built in most of which unlocks as you progress through the game (exp boosts, money boosts, more/less enemies in item world, etc)
if you're interested there's a couple ways to completely break the game even before main story is done
for example, using items on anyone gives you exp pts, like 1/8th of a level each time, there's a way to boost exp gain enough to get 1 level (or more) per item use.
i mean eventually you'll be hitting lv9999 like nothing (disgaea in general, hit lv9999, reincarnate, lv9999 again, repeat till stats max out)
adding for Swapdoodle, PM me if you add
3DS FC: 4098-2370-5638 Rocket2049

User Info: leeman3104

leeman3104
3 weeks ago#10
RocketZXblue posted...
simply put, no, it has it's own story and main characters
there's a crapton of references probably
i honestly think it's one of the easiest games in the series at least main story wise
not saying it's a simple casual game, it still has most of the elements of the previous series and you could raise the enemy levels yourself if it's too easy, game has a "cheat shop" built in most of which unlocks as you progress through the game (exp boosts, money boosts, more/less enemies in item world, etc)
if you're interested there's a couple ways to completely break the game even before main story is done
for example, using items on anyone gives you exp pts, like 1/8th of a level each time, there's a way to boost exp gain enough to get 1 level (or more) per item use.
i mean eventually you'll be hitting lv9999 like nothing (disgaea in general, hit lv9999, reincarnate, lv9999 again, repeat till stats max out)

yeah. D5 streamlines a lot of s***. don't need to get lots of reinc levels, so no reincarnating at 9999 999 times, or anything, items in the item world don't have a level cap, don't honestly even need a legendary to start with, if you wanted to try and start with a weak, common item for some god awful reason, stat gains are more about having subclasses maxed and reincarnating and leveling with a specific group for 2X stat gains, which is much more streamlined (though is still basically trying to get a s*** ton of experience one map, leaving and doing something, about 100 times, though item world/geo destruction makes that a hell of a lot easier)

it's definitely a good start mechanics wise, to get into, especially if you're not gonna go back and play the others. otherwise, playing the latest kinda ruins the others, mechanics wise.

and honestly, they might close down, so i was gonna say 'and d6 will improve from there', but that might not happen.
https://imgur.com/a/cZzvkKn jrpg is referring to a genre, not the location it was made.
https://imgur.com/a/QjeVqSD me versus sjw/antisjw/censorship stuff
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. I'm getting Disgaea 5...
  • Topic Archived