• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. So they pretty much "FFXV'd" FF7?

User Info: Goji

Goji
1 month ago#161
beshocked posted...
The silly thing is that DQ11 has basically made every FF7 remake decision look stupid.

DQ11 is of course a Square Enix RPG of a length of 80 hours on average.

1) Turn based sucks - DQ11 disagrees.
2) Turn based doesn't sell - DQ11 disagrees.
3) FF7 is such a big game it should be episodic - DQ11 disagrees.
4) FF7 remake needs years to be made - DQ11 disagrees.

I don't know did Square Enix send their B team to make DQ11 too? If so not bad at all......

You realize FFXV sold nearly twice as much as DQ11, right? The best turn-based combat can sell isn't even close to what SE is expecting for this remake.
https://psnprofiles.com/Hedorah1971

User Info: ace_spades111

ace_spades111
1 month ago#162
Goji posted...
beshocked posted...
The silly thing is that DQ11 has basically made every FF7 remake decision look stupid.

I don't know did Square Enix send their B team to make DQ11 too? If so not bad at all......

You realize FFXV sold nearly twice as much as DQ11, right? The best turn-based combat can sell isn't even close to what SE is expecting for this remake.

Also FFXV sold despite the hate that FFXIII got.
It's not uncommon for a "bad" game to get good sales numbers because the game before it was amazing. Lets call it good faith purchases (ex: Devil May Cry 2)

FFXV did not have that going for it as far as I know. (it is possible the non vocal consumers loved FFXIII 1-3)

Which goes to show that yes action rpgs are probably the successful route to go business wise

However the comparison between DQ and FF isn't as fair since I assume DQ doesn't have the following FF does. It certainly has one, but again I imagine no where near the size of FFs

But yeah ultimate point being, simply wanting SE to drop a FFXV level budget on a turn base game is asking them to do so in good faith... I highly doubt you guys use your money in that manner unless its what you consider trivial amounts

User Info: SilverWolf865

SilverWolf865
1 month ago#163
I wish they did a turn based live action. I personally dont hate turn based games (depending on the series, like Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei).

When I say live action I mean like Chrono Trigger or the Grandia series. So it's more like a compromise between the "new generation" that likes action rpg games and still keeping it similar to turn based like FF7 was b4 this remake.

Maybe it's just me though.. Not saying the remake wont be bad though.
-

User Info: SwordsmanOrion

SwordsmanOrion
1 month ago#164
I don't mind a good action based combat. I'd be willing to give FF7R a chance, but the gameplay in the trailers looks so... I dunno... basic and generic. Its just a early trailer so I'm sure there's a lot more to it, but so far I am not hyped.
"Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare."

User Info: kilaude

kilaude
1 month ago#165
SilverWolf865 posted...
I wish they did a turn based live action. I personally dont hate turn based games (depending on the series, like Dragon Quest and Shin Megami Tensei).

When I say live action I mean like Chrono Trigger or the Grandia series. So it's more like a compromise between the "new generation" that likes action rpg games and still keeping it similar to turn based like FF7 was b4 this remake.

Maybe it's just me though.. Not saying the remake wont be bad though.
-

Omg yes please. I'd love that.
Shenmue
(message deleted)

User Info: bigjclassic

bigjclassic
1 month ago#167
ace_spades111 posted...
Goji posted...
beshocked posted...

It's not uncommon for a "bad" game to get good sales numbers because the game before it was amazing. Lets call it good faith purchases (ex: Devil May Cry 2)

FFXV did not have that going for it as far as I know. (it is possible the non vocal consumers loved FFXIII 1-3)

Which goes to show that yes action rpgs are probably the successful route to go business wise

However the comparison between DQ and FF isn't as fair since I assume DQ doesn't have the following FF does. It certainly has one, but again I imagine no where near the size of FFs

But yeah ultimate point being, simply wanting SE to drop a FFXV level budget on a turn base game is asking them to do so in good faith... I highly doubt you guys use your money in that manner unless its what you consider trivial amounts

Pokemon outsold FFXV during that same time frame by a lot and it not even funny. FF is still living off of it's "fanbase" and "brand name".
PSN: classicviolence; NNID: (Ryusaki_J)
Last signature was censored by the internet police for being too real

User Info: ace_spades111

ace_spades111
1 month ago#168
bigjclassic posted...
ace_spades111 posted...
Goji posted...
beshocked posted...

Pokemon outsold FFXV during that same time frame by a lot and it not even funny. FF is still living off of it's "fanbase" and "brand name".

I mean sure I don't doubt doubt that, nor do I doubt that a bulk of FFs numbers is through fan loyalty and brand recognition...

But what's you're point? Fan loyalty and brand recognition aren't mutually inclusive.
Are you trying to say a vast majority of FFXVs sales were generated by the turn base fans?

It's very well possible and I would have no reason to doubt it except for having to believe that SE has so much faith in its loyal fans that it's willing to risk them to tap into other demographics with their brand recognition.
As that's what the other consumer group is, a subset of people who bought FFXV because of FF brand recognition. The subset being brand recognition and the fact that the game is no longer turn based.

User Info: deprofundis442

deprofundis442
1 month ago#169
JGtrance88 posted...
This is NOT what fans wanted.

Glad you polled 12 million people just to be sure.
http://functor.bandcamp.com
http://cadavericlividity.bandcamp.com

User Info: deprofundis442

deprofundis442
1 month ago#170
ace_spades111 posted...
Are you trying to say a vast majority of FFXVs sales were generated by the turn base fans?

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ff-union-ffxv-survey-highlights-disparity-between-fans-first-timers.1415505/

This doesn't specifically state "turn based fans", but it does address the disparities between series veterans and newcomers.

Over 12% of sales were supposedly newcomers.
http://functor.bandcamp.com
http://cadavericlividity.bandcamp.com
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. So they pretty much "FFXV'd" FF7?
  • Topic Archived