• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Which do you prefer: Shenmue 1 or 2?

User Info: rowleyfan3000

rowleyfan3000
1 month ago#1
Which do you prefer: Shenmue 1 or 2? - Results (40 votes)
Shenmue 1
50% (20 votes)
Shenmue 2
50% (20 votes)
This poll is now closed.
This is a tough one for me. I loved the home setting in the first one but I love the exploration in the second. I gotta go with Shenmue 2 on this one, it was the first one I played and it's virtually better in every way. ESPECIALLY with the ability to fast forward time.

What about you guys?
You are so money and you don't even know it!

User Info: T0nyKojima

T0nyKojima
1 month ago#2
Both suck.
TonyKojima

User Info: arstos

arstos
1 month ago#3
Still playing through the second, but so far the first, I don't like the setting of the 2nd one and having to move boxes by hand instead of forklift suuuuccckkkks.

Still good though.
Steam:Dragonlibrarian7, PSN:Dragonlibrarian, Switch:6996-4479-5279

User Info: BENDMMAFAN

BENDMMAFAN
1 month ago#4
I think they're both bad games, but I have some nostalgia for the first one. Blew my mind when it was released.
This signature is private, DO NOT READ!
PSN- emanresu84

User Info: Rygon

Rygon
1 month ago#5
The smaller town of the first game was better for the sim aspect of recognizing NPCs and their schedules. 2 has more combat I think, which I liked, and the epilogue in rural China was the best story section of the games.
http://backloggery.com/war_lion108

User Info: da_StoOge

da_StoOge
1 month ago#6
I should really get back and finish 2. So far I think I might liking 2 more because the story and main missions are more interesting than in Shenmue 1, but I'll be damned if I don't miss my forklift job. The jobs in Shenmue 2 so far are nowhere near as fun. Mostly because they're controlled via QTE's.
"Even though I'm no better than a beast, don't I have the right to live?"
(message deleted)

User Info: Tommy_Vercetti

Tommy_Vercetti
1 month ago#8
Tough call, but I'm going with number 2. I really liked the vertical exploration in Kowloon and walking through the forest in Guilin while chatting with Shenhua.

User Info: Pharsti01

Pharsti01
1 month ago#9
The first game, easily.

Its a combination of better pacing, characters and the awesome setting/locale.
It actually felt like a proper little village.

I absolutely hate the setting of Shenmue 2... Hong Kong looks horrible and Kowloon is f***ing atrocious, some of the worst map design ive ever had to witness.
The characters, while generally ok, are a step behind the first game as well.

User Info: satm

satm
1 month ago#10
Pharsti01 posted...
The first game, easily.

Its a combination of better pacing, characters and the awesome setting/locale.
It actually felt like a proper little village.

I absolutely hate the setting of Shenmue 2... Hong Kong looks horrible and Kowloon is f***ing atrocious, some of the worst map design ive ever had to witness.
The characters, while generally ok, are a step behind the first game as well.

The first game does NOT have better pacing. You are absolutely wrong and this is not a matter of opinion. I am a diehard Shenmue fan and can tell you that the first game has one of the worst pacing in video game history. It is really really slow even for 1999's standards.

Shenmue 2 has the time skip feature which makes the pacing miles better. Players can progress through the story quickly without waiting set times for a certain shop to open in order to get information
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Which do you prefer: Shenmue 1 or 2?
  • Topic Archived