• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. PS Now latency.....
DarkAscent 2 years ago#1
So, we know from MMOs, that online gaming can be done with very low latency allowing for a good experience. This depends on the user having fast enough internet, and the client side having their s*** together so that there is not latency.

I recently got my internet upgraded: hardwired fiber optic right into my house. I "technically" only have 75mpbs but my ISP must stop throttling after 10pm because I get DL/UL speeds after that time that would make God jealous. Given this newfound speed on my side, I decided to finally try my free trial of PS Now.....

So...WTF Sony? The latency is TERRIBLE! You press the damn button and you can sometimes take a swig of beer before you get reaction. I knew there would be delay compared to local hardware, but this is ridiculous. Any game that requires anything in the way of fast reaction time is completely out of the question. I know it is Sony and not my ISP because I still do game a bit online on my PC every once in a while and I don't have this issue. Nor do I have major latency issues with other apps or streaming services on my PS4. My connection is hardwired btw, not wi-fi.

I already thought that an entirely streaming-based gaming architecture is out of the question due to the fact that far too much of the console customer base will not have fast enough internet anytime soon. However, if this is the best Sony can do then it really doesn't matter how good everyone's ISP is.
No he's okay. He just kicked ass on Double Dragon.
supertecmobowl 2 years ago#2
My internet speed is 400 mbps, and the wifi on my ps4 is an utter joke. The speed on my ps4 wifi is 120 mbps.
Favorite NFL Team: Los Angeles Rams
ROTTEN 2 years ago#3
It just sucks bad.
DarkAscent 2 years ago#4
supertecmobowl posted...
My internet speed is 400 mbps, and the wifi on my ps4 is an utter joke. The speed on my ps4 wifi is 120 mbps.

I'm not on wifi though. I even took out my wired router at one point so that it was just fiber optic modem wired straight to PS4 via ethernet. No dice.
i like rpgz 2 years ago#5
What speeds are you getting at night?

I have 1 gbps and even that doesn't always equate to a seamless streaming experience with Remote Play.
DarkAscent 2 years ago#6
i like rpgz posted...
What speeds are you getting at night?

I have 1 gbps and even that doesn't always equate to a seamless streaming experience with Remote Play.

I don't really know what the "real" average is because it is hard to even push it to its max. After 10pm I can easily depend on 100-200 MB/s, and I've seen it tick up to 700 MB/s but that is unusual. Usually an online DL speed tester says around 300-400 MB/s. It is random when it is not throttled, I feel like I'm clearly seeing the ceiling of my ISPs capacity in the area as traffic fluctuates.
Kerr Avon 2 years ago#7
supertecmobowl posted...

My wifi speeds on both the PS3 and PS4 have always been much slower than on my XBox 360, for some annoying and baffling reason.
I'm a PC and console gamer - I love good games, regardless of their host system.
For all things N64: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nintendo_64_forever/
PublicAnimal9 2 years ago#8
You can't compare online gaming to streaming.

When you play online, your own character responds instantly to player input because it is rendered by the local hardware. It's only other people's actions that has a delay. Obviously that makes a big difference to overall percieved lag.

That said, none of the games on PSNow are (yet) optimized for streaming. There are various ways that developers can reduce streaming lag, such as rendering internally at very high framerates in order to minimize rendering lag (and thus cut down on overall lag).

Ubisoft has made a version of Assassin's Creed Odyssey optimized for streaming. It's currently available to beta testers on Nintendo's and Google's upcoming streaming services. From what I've heard it performs very close to the regular version running on local hardware, as long as you have a high quality connection and aren't located too far from the server.

Also, bandwidth and latency are two different things. Even if you have a terabyte connection to the Internet, it may still be s*** for gaming.
Sage JJ 2 years ago#9
I've had PS Now for a few months now and it's honestly been flawless with no latency. Not saying it doesn't exist but I am saying your exaggerating a bit with the being able to take a swig of beer comm3nt
Xechs 2 years ago#10
I have now and no problem playing high action games. Seems just depends on servers. Im in ny state.
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/1198847692478tg1.gif
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u222/xechs/rankastar.gif Ranka-Macross Frontier
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. PS Now latency.....
  • Topic Archived