• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Turn off automatic game updates on PS4 Pro?

User Info: LordSkippy

LordSkippy
1 month ago#1
I'm trying to turn off automatic game updates. I Googled how to do it and it said to go to Settings/System/Automatic Updates and untick the box that says Application Updates, which I did. But my console automatically downloaded and installed the most recent update for RDR2 anyway. Am I missing something?
"You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

User Info: Jx1010

Jx1010
1 month ago#2
I dont think it truly lets u.
I have tried and they still update.

User Info: xyntek

xyntek
1 month ago#3
LordSkippy posted...
I'm trying to turn off automatic game updates. I Googled how to do it and it said to go to Settings/System/Automatic Updates and untick the box that says Application Updates, which I did. But my console automatically downloaded and installed the most recent update for RDR2 anyway. Am I missing something?

This will turn off the automatic updates for the system, not for the games. The console will always pull down the latest version of the game, unless you aren't connected or you don't have the latest system update.
PSN: Xyntek | Xbox Live: Xyntek01

User Info: CrimsonGear80

CrimsonGear80
1 month ago#4
turning that off will just stop the system from automatically looking for new updates. it will still download new updates when you turn on the system.
Just tell it to call you "Billy"...
https://i.imgtc.com/q17bfpM.gif

LordSkippy
1 month ago#5
Okay. Thought I missed a step or something. That kinda sucks, but oh well. Thanks for the responses.

User Info: rmcin329

rmcin329
1 month ago#6
Just disconnect your ps4 from the internet, you won't have a problem with it auto updating games then.

User Info: Strategia555

Strategia555
1 month ago#7
Curious - Is there a reason You are not wanting auto-updates?
Space for Rent

LordSkippy
1 month ago#8
Strategia555 posted...

I've been a PC gamer/user for a large part of my life. Windows updates, driver updates, game updates; sometimes updates could completely break your system or game, which has happened to me on more than one occasion. So I generally like to read the patch notes, or see if anyone is having problems with a particular update before I myself update. I know updates on consoles are generally safe but it's a habit of mine I suppose.

User Info: Crimson_Alias

Crimson_Alias
1 month ago#9
LordSkippy posted...

That's just to turn off the auto update so that your console doesn't update anything while you're on the main user interface. Let me see if I can explain this better. With automatic updates turned on your PS4 is constantly scanning for updates for everything on the PS4, no matter what you are doing. If you turn automatic updates off then the PS4 won't do that any more. HOWEVER, whenever you start up a game the system automatically checks for the latest update for that game that you are starting up, (this is how the PS3 worked, for those of you that remember. It's also how the Xbox 360 worked with game updates). Now that is something you can't turn off.

User Info: Crimson_Alias

Crimson_Alias
1 month ago#10
LordSkippy posted...
Strategia555 posted...

I've been a PC gamer/user for a large part of my life. Windows updates, driver updates, game updates; sometimes updates could completely break your system or game, which has happened to me on more than one occasion. So I generally like to read the patch notes, or see if anyone is having problems with a particular update before I myself update. I know updates on consoles are generally safe but it's a habit of mine I suppose.

You don't have anything to worry about. I've been a console gamer for most of my life, and I can tell you right now it is EXTREMELY EXTREMELY SUPER TRIPLE ULTRA rare that a update for a console game messes something up. 99% of the time console games are better when updated. With consoles the patches go through two stages of testing. First the game developer tests the patch to make sure it doesn't break anything. Then when they are satisfied they send the patch to Sony and/or Microsoft. Then Sony and Microsoft put the patch through their own batch of tests, to make sure it doesn't break anything on their systems (PlayStation and Xbox). And once that is done then the patch is released. This is why patches take longer to come out on console than they do on PC. On console they thoroughly test these patches to make sure it doesn't mess anything up.

Now firmware updates for the console itself is another story. With firmware updates for the console it's always recommended to wait a few days to see if the new firmware bricks anyone's console or not.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Turn off automatic game updates on PS4 Pro?
  • Topic Archived