Shenmue 1/2 worth it in 2018?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Shenmue 1/2 worth it in 2018?

User Info: RHF

RHF
2 months ago#51
Lovecraftiangod posted...
CloudyKuchiki posted...
Theyre great games. Day one our have for me for sure.

I have s*** taste

We know already you're welcome to leave the thread
For great justice! And Fruit Pies! *Official #1 supporter for Hsien-ko*

User Info: WalterBlue

WalterBlue
2 months ago#52
TruthBomber21 posted...
JohnRyder posted...
TruthBomber21 posted...
Lol no they weren’t worth it at launch. If you really want the games wait a month for them to be $5.00 in a bargain bin

Agreed. The game was very ambitious but it wasn't fun. Seriously, nothing in the game is fun to do. It's QTE's, walking around, buying garbage from vending machines...

The thing is there were no other games with QTE, Shenmue invented them. It was groundbreaking at the time. It also had the Virtua Fighter engine when fighting. So it was a cool game and still is to some.

Some, but not many. Shenmue 2 sold what, 100k copies? The vast majority of people who played Shenmue 1 decided not to play Shenmue 2.

It seems there are way more people excited for Shenmue 3 then actually played part 2. Is it because the game was revealed at sony's e3 conference and it's just fanboys? thoughts?

Shenmue 2 wasn't released on the Dreamcast in the US. Might explain some of the decline in sales. You can make the argument that not many NA Shenmue fans cared enough to buy an entire console (Xbox) in order to play the sequel in English, but I dunno.

Anyway, I absolutely loved the game when it first came out. It did a lot of things that were new for gaming and was VERY ambitious. Some may have found it boring, but I personally felt connected to the world and had no major complaints. I will say that while I have the remasters pre-ordered and am excited to get my hands on these games that I haven't played in well over a decade, but am also well aware that a lot of things Shenmue did have since been surpassed by other games. I know I won't enjoy it as much as I used to, but I'm hoping that the nostalgia is enough to carry me through. Because of that, though, I can imagine A LOT of first-timers that buy that collection will be scratching their heads wondering what all the praise is even about. I don't imagine it's aged super well.
Run to the bedroom, in a suitcase on the left you'll find my favorite axe.
Don't look so frightened, this is just a passing phase, one of my bad days.

User Info: Cecil_Mcneil

Cecil_Mcneil
2 months ago#53
WalterBlue posted...
TruthBomber21 posted...
JohnRyder posted...
TruthBomber21 posted...
Lol no they weren’t worth it at launch. If you really want the games wait a month for them to be $5.00 in a bargain bin

Agreed. The game was very ambitious but it wasn't fun. Seriously, nothing in the game is fun to do. It's QTE's, walking around, buying garbage from vending machines...

The thing is there were no other games with QTE, Shenmue invented them. It was groundbreaking at the time. It also had the Virtua Fighter engine when fighting. So it was a cool game and still is to some.

Some, but not many. Shenmue 2 sold what, 100k copies? The vast majority of people who played Shenmue 1 decided not to play Shenmue 2.

It seems there are way more people excited for Shenmue 3 then actually played part 2. Is it because the game was revealed at sony's e3 conference and it's just fanboys? thoughts?

Shenmue 2 wasn't released on the Dreamcast in the US. Might explain some of the decline in sales. You can make the argument that not many NA Shenmue fans cared enough to buy an entire console (Xbox) in order to play the sequel in English, but I dunno.

Anyway, I absolutely loved the game when it first came out. It did a lot of things that were new for gaming and was VERY ambitious. Some may have found it boring, but I personally felt connected to the world and had no major complaints. I will say that while I have the remasters pre-ordered and am excited to get my hands on these games that I haven't played in well over a decade, but am also well aware that a lot of things Shenmue did have since been surpassed by other games. I know I won't enjoy it as much as I used to, but I'm hoping that the nostalgia is enough to carry me through. Because of that, though, I can imagine A LOT of first-timers that buy that collection will be scratching their heads wondering what all the praise is even about. I don't imagine it's aged super well.

It's so true that nobody got to play it until the xbox version came out, I was lending out my EU copy like mad to friends with a Dreamcast. The demand was there from my perspective but the Dreamcast was already a commercial failure when it was due to release so that's probably a factor in why they didn't bother.

Still, the kickstarter for 3 made six million so you have to admit that fans are out there.

Anyway, yeah nostalgia will carry you through the games again for sure but for new players...I doubt there will be much love.

User Info: Zurriah

Zurriah
2 months ago#54

I did a general search for Shenmue on this board just to see if I was going crazy but I'm not. You've posted your clear and obvious hatred for this series and all things about it in every single topic going back months. MONTHS. I'm all for differing opinions but you can't let a thing go and get rude with people when they don't agree. Off to the ignore list with you. I've seen enough.

User Info: pomerleaub

pomerleaub
2 months ago#55
JGurn86 posted...
Looking at picking these up, never played a shenmue game. Any fans of the series, how well do you think they'll translate to new players? GRaphics aren't really an issue for me, i've played through just about the same version of ff7 probably 5 times, and i've been replaying the old doom games on my xbone. But in terms of story, gameplay, etc how do you think they'll hold up?
Game is great played it on an emulator before (used to own it for my now broken disc lense Dreamcast which I gotta replace) unless you owned or still own either on DC or Xbox (original) your SOL unless of course you buy this , this game is what started the yakuza gameplay style you can say this game is Yakuza series daddy
gfaq55b

User Info: Ren2

Ren2
2 months ago#56
Not really, no. The gameplay is clunky, the story is incomplete, and the virtua fighter engine is misplaced.

The things that made Shenmue great were graphics, immersion and interaction, all of which has long since ceased to impress with subsequent games handling those things better.

User Info: Madness2012

Madness2012
2 months ago#57
Simple, if you think you like it and will enjoy it, Buy it!

User Info: xlyd

xlyd
2 months ago#58

Fact: @Lovecraftiangod is wrong about everything he posts about Shenmue

User Info: JohnRyder

JohnRyder
2 months ago#59
Ren2 posted...
Not really, no. The gameplay is clunky, the story is incomplete, and the virtua fighter engine is misplaced.

I disagree. The project name for Shenmue was "Virtua Fighter RPG", which tells us of the incredible ambition to create an openworld RPG game with Beat em up controls.
And I'd say it works really well. I agree Yakuza games does it better nowadays. But Shenmue is really old now, but it's great piece of history, revolutionary at it's time.

User Info: TaKun782

TaKun782
2 months ago#60
I too never once played these games and am looking forward to getting the collection to see what all the hub bub was about. I was only 10 years old back then anyways :P But yeah. I love a good story driven game and I can appreciate it for what it is. Heck, I even heard Sleeping dogs took some inspiration from Shenmue and I freaking loved that game too. So any reason to jump back into Hong Kong is good enough for me!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. Shenmue 1/2 worth it in 2018?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived