• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. I genuinely feel like this has been one of the worst gaming gens ever.

User Info: Taizuku

Taizuku
4 months ago#1
The main thing that ruined this gen for me is a lack of creativity. There are so many rehashes, unoriginal ideas, half-assed experiences, regurgitated plots and mechanics, and all-around, just a lack of imagination.

While many of this gen's games are solid mechanically, many more are soulless experiences. Wolfenstein is a good example of this, I see the vision, but I don't feel it, I feel a generic shooter. Fallout 4 is another generic open world feeling, where most of the environment is unused, and serves no purpose. Massive areas to explore, with nothing to find in them.

I don't understand why some older, much smaller games offer similar, and so much better experiences. Obviously this is subjective, but take Horizon for example, it borrows heavily from Zelda and The Witcher, but is not nearly as good as either game, nor does it offer anything truly unique from either experience. This gen is full of games that take ideas and don't run with them, they just kinda crap out a game, and slap a price tag on it, and then let the fans defend the game online instead of ever improving the formula. It's really bad that games from almost 30 years ago offer a bigger, longer, and more unique experience than a lot of new AAA and indie titles.

Aesthetics are important, but creativity is just as important, the current obsession with aesthetic is why gaming is stagnating. People keep having to convince the market that their games are good because the games sell poorly, and a lot of the reason is because the market feels like it's getting the same experience again. Titanfall 2 is regarded as being a great shooter, but its sales were mediocre, a lot of the reason behind that being that
A. people are getting tired of regular online deathmatches
B. it was very similar to the first game
C. there are a lot of deathmatch styled shooters

In other words, the market is saturated and the devs don't understand that. They just keep s***ting out samey games and then discarding franchises when they don't sell enough, but they aren't selling enough because the publishers are forcing devs to drop mediocre games, and on top of that, devs are making mediocre games.

TL;DR
We have to stop being so lenient to mediocrity or soon that is all we will receive.
Come check out some dope beats n stuff! Soundcloud.com/anubisinc

User Info: Opunaesala

Opunaesala
4 months ago#2
I disagree. There are games for everyone out there. Don't play ones that you don't like the creative direction behind.

User Info: Taizuku

Taizuku
4 months ago#3
Opunaesala posted...
I disagree. There are games for everyone out there. Don't play ones that you don't like the creative direction behind.

That's the problem, I've bought a ton of games trying to find what I'm looking for, but frankly, it's just not being made anymore. There are not games for everyone out there this gen.
Come check out some dope beats n stuff! Soundcloud.com/anubisinc

User Info: xenosaga123

xenosaga123
4 months ago#4
retire and go find another hobby then. everyone else finds this to be the greatest gaming generation ever, and rising. :)

User Info: Rjmhart

Rjmhart
4 months ago#5
I'm finding some innovation in indies. Maybe try that?
Really enjoying the ps4 library.

User Info: EAims

EAims
4 months ago#6
Taizuku posted...
Opunaesala posted...

That's the problem, I've bought a ton of games trying to find what I'm looking for, but frankly, it's just not being made anymore. There are not games for everyone out there this gen.

Everyone really means the general everyone, not literally everyone.

It seems to me that clearly you're just not in to gaming any more.
A b c d e f guy, h I j k l m n o buddy, q r s t u fwend, w x eh! and (pfft). These are the Canadian ABC's, Susie likes hairy b**** what do you think of these?

User Info: VegaGG

VegaGG
4 months ago#7
Taizuku posted...
take Horizon for example, it borrows heavily from Zelda and The Witcher, but is not nearly as good as either game, nor does it offer anything truly unique from either experience.

lol 4/10
you made me post

User Info: ex_factor

ex_factor
4 months ago#8
The topic title made me laugh, and the size of your post made me role my eyes, but I was still gonna read it all... then the 2nd paragraph happened.

You just have bad taste, but that’s fine. You do you bro.
"I can't wait for the crowd, the noise, the energy in the building... I can't wait to take that all away from them." - PK Subban

User Info: Gatchan2

Gatchan2
4 months ago#9
try VR
"Call of Duty Players aren't hardcore gamers, or even gamers."
--- Infinity Ward's Mark Rubin

User Info: juker79

juker79
4 months ago#10
Taizuku posted...
The main thing that ruined this gen for me is a lack of creativity. There are so many rehashes, unoriginal ideas, half-assed experiences, regurgitated plots and mechanics, and all-around, just a lack of imagination.

It sucks getting old, this stuff is all new and exciting to my kids which is a big reason why it's being pumped out.
Psychos do not explode when sunlight hits them, I don't give a **** how crazy they are!
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. I genuinely feel like this has been one of the worst gaming gens ever.
  • Topic Archived