• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. What's worse, SJWs or the anti-SJWs?

User Info: Meatph

Meatph
3 years ago#221
ChaoticKnuckles posted...
Meatph posted...
digressive posted...
One group is working for equality and equal representation.

One group is trying to hold on to inequity and unequal representation.

It is obvious which group is worse.

“When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.”

They don't deserve equal resentation they deserve fair representation

Equal representation for a group that's a tiny percentage of our population is over representation.

3.8 percent of Americans identify as LGBT.

Fair resentation would be?

That's right 3.8%

You’re talking about representation percentages but then only considering the US?

I edited it "adjust for world %"

Sorry, driving

User Info: ChaoticKnuckles

ChaoticKnuckles
3 years ago#222
theshoveller posted...
theshoveller posted...
EAims posted...
theshoveller posted...
I hate when I make what I think is a really good, well thought-out post and it gets lost in a sea of people exchanging blows. Oh, well.

I read your post shoveller. It wasn't completely lost. :)

Yay!

I think that's the biggest thing about the whole issue - getting the people arguing for something who aren't gamers, or aren't interested in being gamers, out of the conversation. Once you clear the chaff, you can get a better handle on what the actual issues are and deal with them in a more effective manner.

That’s fair. And I actually understand the complaints about something like Battlefield (not historically accurate) or Mass Effect Andromeda (I have no problem with diversity for the sake of diversity in games and I even felt like the trans character in that game was completely hamfisted). But like San Andreas or GTA V or Watch Dogs 2? There’s no logical reason to have a problem with those characters being black, and too many gamers still have an issue with stuff like that. That needs to change as well. Everyone can have their preferences but refusing to play a game because the main character is black or a woman or something? Ridiculous.

I completely agree. I'll be honest - while I'm not interested in playing Watch Dogs 2, it has less to do with the fact the MC is a black guy and more to do with the fact that everything advertising the game, from what I've seen of it, focuses on more of an "urban culture" as opposed to a "hacker culture." Less "fight the megacorp" and more "fight the Man, man!" feel to it.

It even is kinda reflected in their covers - Watch Dogs 1 is very stark, cyberpunk-ish. Lots of blacks and grays, a few splashes of color, but it's a guy in a trenchcoat holding a phone and a handgun. The second one? A lot brighter - in the middle of the day as opposed to the dark of night - with multiple people, saying he's not a loner. Still holding a gun and phone, but wearing a backpack with buttons and patches on it, with his allies sporting hoodies and padded jackets - not the trenchcoat, low-profile look the first cover had. Then there's the infamous "gang signs" pic used in its advertising, which enforces that same thing and less the "lone hacker" the first one had.

Someone could say this all relates back to the main character being black, but the truth of it is, if Alden was black, I wouldn't have cared. If Marcus was white, I still wouldn't care to play Watch Dogs 2 due to everything else mentioned. A cyberpunk-ish story about a lone hacker is more appealing than the story of a guy fighting "the power!" with his friends in a brightly-lit city while sporting gangster signs and pro-anarchy buttons on his fanny pack.

Oh I know. I’ve talked to you enough to know your reasons for being disinterested in a game aren’t as shallow as “Meh! He’s black! No buy!”

The number of gamers that do react that way is too high though. Shouldn’t matter to anyone enough to prevent them from buying a game they would otherwise want in my opinion.
Open to suggestions for a new sig.

User Info: BondageFan462

BondageFan462
3 years ago#223
Straight up SJWs are the worst.

User Info: DoubleDare

DoubleDare
3 years ago#224
I don't buy enough modern games to notice (uncharted, last tomb raider, will get red dead 2, spidey ps4).

But SJWs tend to be annoying, I checked out a show my then gf liked, slashed and within the first 10 minutes you see a gay couple, interracial couple.

Its like I'm for diversity when it seems natural, but not when it seems forced and formulatic, not every tv show or game has to have every race or sexuality.
On Your Mark...Get Set........GO!!!!!!

User Info: ZeeDogge

ZeeDogge
3 years ago#225
Kickflip posted...
ZeeDogge posted...
If you associate thinking that way with a decline in media quality, you'll be pissed when you see it too

Well then it's a good thing that games are pretty awesome right now.

Joke account

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
3 years ago#226
Oh I know. I’ve talked to you enough to know your reasons for being disinterested in a game aren’t as shallow as “Meh! He’s black! No buy!”

The number of gamers that do react that way is too high though. Shouldn’t matter to anyone enough to prevent them from buying a game they would otherwise want in my opinion.

I agree. That's why I think, like I said earlier, we get the non-gamers who are arguing out of the fight, we as gamers can work a bit easier with those guys.

"Why don't you want to play this game?"

"Because he's black!"

"Even though several things in this game are things that are so right up your alley I could crack them open in an encyclopedia and see your face next to them?"

"Yeah, he's black!"

"Alright, well I'll tell you what - I'm gonna stream me playing it from the beginning, why don't you check it out? At worst, you lose some time you could have been spending doing something else, but you're not out any money or anything. You might like it, you might not, but at least you could say you tried - you 'dipped a toe in the pool.' Cool?"

I mean, you'll still get those people who will fight you tooth and nail on it, and there's not much you can do for someone like that, but it at least lets you try attacking the issue from another angle in as low-impact a manner as possible for them.

I had a buddy of mine talk about Detroit and how he doesn't know if he'll like it. I sent him a video of a sequence I did I uploaded to Youtube that'd be up his alley, and he's still on the fence about it. Now, since he's not exactly in driving distance, I'm planning on mailing him my copy when I'm done, and worst-case scenario he can either mail it back to me or he can give me some art in exchange for it (that's his job.) Either way, no real skin off my back, and no real skin off his since I'd be buying the art anyway, and might even kick him a bit more for it. Even if I only get the equivalent of $20 for it, it's worth it to me to have him give it a try.
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!
(message deleted)

User Info: MH_sief

MH_sief
3 years ago#228
Anti-SJW is more a mindset related to logic vs emotive reasoning... honestly if the SJW pandering didn’t exist the categorization of normal individuals fighting against extreme narrow mindedness wouldn’t even happen, anti-SJW couldn’t exist as a descriptor. It’s pretty clear who creates the issue here between the two.
"Let's do something fun." - Enchantress (Suicide Squad - 40% Metacritic)

User Info: OmigawdMatt

OmigawdMatt
3 years ago#229
DoubleDare posted...
I don't buy enough modern games to notice (uncharted, last tomb raider, will get red dead 2, spidey ps4).

But SJWs tend to be annoying, I checked out a show my then gf liked, slashed and within the first 10 minutes you see a gay couple, interracial couple.

Its like I'm for diversity when it seems natural, but not when it seems forced and formulatic, not every tv show or game has to have every race or sexuality.

I'm gay myself and even I cringe at that kind of stunt. Forced inclusiveness is not the way to go because it takes away from their overall character besides just being gay. I think this kind of situation is what causes a gap between SJWs and Anti-SJWs because it's not often handled properly to appeal to both ends.

I feel The Walking Dead tv show handles it well. Deep 4 seasons in (and 5), you get two dynamic characters just trying to live their lives, who just happened to be lesbian and gay. It wasn't subtle, but it wasn't overly in-your-face either.
I cried one time and someone told me, "Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality."

User Info: Irenicus

Irenicus
3 years ago#230
They are basically the same thing, its just the agenda that is different. On this specific website the anti-SJWs are more of a pain
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. What's worse, SJWs or the anti-SJWs?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A