• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. New Sony president says next Playstation is 3 years away...

User Info: Gaming4dummies

Gaming4dummies
5 months ago#1
Are you happy or disappointed that PS5 is 3 years away? - Results (55 votes)
I'm satisfied with current gen. No worries waiting.
92.73% (51 votes)
I was hoping they would announce new hardware at this E3, with release 2019.
7.27% (4 votes)
This poll is now closed.
https://www.polygon.com/2018/5/23/17384050/ps5-release-date-sony

Quick Google will bring up various media sites all quoting him.

So looks like industry "insiders" were waaaay wrong on this.
People saying 2018 or most likely 2019.

I for one am happy with the current gen systems for now.
PS4 is really hitting its stride in terms of graphics.

Also, by 2021 PS5 will hopefully have enough horsepower to truly hit the 4K/60 FPS goal.

Thoughts? You guys happy it's not around the corner or disappointed?
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

User Info: Opunaesala

Opunaesala
5 months ago#2
"Insiders" are almost always clueless. A lot of people here were saying 2020 at the earliest.

User Info: Helmet_Time

Helmet_Time
5 months ago#3
No sane human being was predicting anything before 2020. So, 2021 really isn't surprising at all. Further out than I might have thought with all the rumors, but those could be A) false or B) Sony getting an early start on development because they want a major AAA launch line up

User Info: Gaming4dummies

Gaming4dummies
5 months ago#4
Helmet_Time posted...
No sane human being was predicting anything before 2020. So, 2021 really isn't surprising at all. Further out than I might have thought with all the rumors, but those could be A) false or B) Sony getting an early start on development because they want a major AAA launch line up

Two of the most well known heavy hitters predicted 2019. Michael Pachter (spelling?) being one.
He MUCH later revised his prediction to early 2020.
Marcus Sellars is another with a pretty good record of calling things way before they happened.

I think Sony will come out of the gate hard with a beast of a console when it does drop.
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

User Info: Opunaesala

Opunaesala
5 months ago#5
Gaming4dummies posted...
Helmet_Time posted...

Two of the most well known heavy hitters predicted 2019. Michael Pachter (spelling?) being one.
He MUCH later revised his prediction to early 2020.

I think Sony will come out of the gate hard with a beast of a console when it does drop.

The only reason Pachter gets some stuff right is because he makes so many predictions. A lot of them are wrong.

User Info: SBNetopir

SBNetopir
5 months ago#6
IIRC there were also talks of the PS3 being a "ten-year system" by Sony execs back in 2010 or so, and well, the PS4 happened in 2013, so this is to be taken with a grain of salt.

I suppose the PS4 Pro could be considered a reboot of the PS4 in a way, technically extending its lifecycle, but I still think Fall 2020 will be the launch window for the PS5.
I know what you're thinking, but the funny thing is, I don't even like video games.

User Info: Hollywood nWo

Hollywood nWo
5 months ago#7
I always expected 2020 for release, so 21 isn't bad. Hopefully they launch a new PSVR with better quality screen and more console/game integration right off the bat too. Since they have over 3 years.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. New Sony president says next Playstation is 3 years away...
  • Topic Archived