SE is asked about offline version of Final Fantasy XI on PS4

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. SE is asked about offline version of Final Fantasy XI on PS4

User Info: Hucast9

Hucast9
1 month ago#41
NettoSaito posted...
SquareJRPGKing posted...
I've never played FFXI, my last (and first) MMO was Tibia and only because it was free

but let's see if they can translate this mmo into a single player experience, in Square I trust

The FF MMOs (especially 14) are single player mainline FF games, just with other people running around. The only time you have to play with others is in dungeons and big boss battles, but even then there are a lot of them that use the story party members instead.

So really it’s not that big of a deal to turn one of these into a fully offline game. I mean they do have more social aspects outside of the main game, but the main story and side quest/side stories are all 90% solo. That’s one reason I really liked them because they weren’t massive grind fests (unless you want to be crazy and max everything), and I get to play through them mainly for the story. Yeah post game is generic MMO stuff, but when the next update or expansion drops you get it all for free. So I don’t even bother anymore (especially with work taking up so much time.)

I can guarantee you with absolute certainty that FFXI wasn't what you stated in that first sentence. Team work was absolutely critical in FFXI even in the Abyssea era. YOu absolutely needed a team to gather whatevever material you needed to expand empyron armor, and if you didn't have a team you would get crushed by enemies. Trust me bro, I played this game for around 16,000 hours. I commanded 60 players at one point.

User Info: GENERALJA0

GENERALJA0
1 month ago#42
NettoSaito posted...
SquareJRPGKing posted...
I've never played FFXI, my last (and first) MMO was Tibia and only because it was free

but let's see if they can translate this mmo into a single player experience, in Square I trust

The FF MMOs (especially 14) are single player mainline FF games, just with other people running around. The only time you have to play with others is in dungeons and big boss battles, but even then there are a lot of them that use the story party members instead.

So really it’s not that big of a deal to turn one of these into a fully offline game. I mean they do have more social aspects outside of the main game, but the main story and side quest/side stories are all 90% solo. That’s one reason I really liked them because they weren’t massive grind fests (unless you want to be crazy and max everything), and I get to play through them mainly for the story. Yeah post game is generic MMO stuff, but when the next update or expansion drops you get it all for free. So I don’t even bother anymore (especially with work taking up so much time.)

How does it feel to be wrong about something you obviously have never played?

In ffxi or at least till they added trusts and ilvl gear which has only been the past 6 years or so when they pretty much entered maintenance mode.

But prior. 75 lvl era and abyssea era you needed a group for everything. There was no solo. Wanted to level up? You needed a group. Lvl 75 era that was 6 people, 1 tank 1 healer 1 support/puller 3 dps grinding for months to hit max lvl then farm merit points. In abbysea era you farmed worms in alliances. If done correctly it took maybe a couple weeks.

Wanted to gear up? You needed a group for farming bcnm s and or dynamis.

Wanted to do story stuff? For the talking and fetch parts you could kinda solo, but was better to have a group to be safe. For the fights you needed a group sometimes a alliance.

Even the limit breaks required groups until the 99/ilvl era.

Now ff14 is a way different story. It's pretty much a wow clone. But not all ff moms are what you claim. And if you really wanted to you could say ff14 originally started out similar to ffxi but a very crappy version of it.
^^^ Above statements are my opinions and mine alone...

User Info: Bigpoppapump1

Bigpoppapump1
1 month ago#43
I hope there's a pre abyssea multiplayer mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVYhcXmXSB0&t=41s

Hucast9
1 month ago#44
Let me tell you a little story about Final Fantasy XI. Once upon a time I was a lowly thief out in the West Ronfaure forest just outside of San Doria. While there, I came across a very strange rabbit. This rabbit was strange because it had a different name. It was called Jaggedy Earred Jack. I hunted and hunted this rabbit, but others would always beat me to it. It turned out that they were using an ability called Wide Scan. So I leveled Ranger to use that as a sub job so I could use this mythical wide scan ability, and this was the beginning of my notorious monster hunting career. I was hooked on hunting these rare monsters. I finally got the grand prize from Jaggedy Earred Jack, the rabbit charm.

I turned into a powerful thief with a thief knife, leaping boots, and emperor hairpin. Thief knife was an absolute nightmare to get. For this notorious monsters you had to wait in a room for a widely varying spawn time that was completely unpredictable. I missed some pops to other players, and I got some. One of those pops was the winner. You can not even imagine the thrill and joy of obtaining a thief knife that practically no one else has on the server unless you experience that for yourself.

One thing that took me years to get was a defending ring. The problem with the defending ring was that the pop item was very expensive, and the drop rate was ridiculously low. So you had 2 ways to get that pop item: #1 Do the bcnm (burning circle notorious monster) to get the pop item which means that you pay nothing, but you can do that only a limited number of times since you needed an item called kindred seals or bcnm seals to participate. #2 Pay a large amount of in-game currency to buy the pop item. The notorious monster wasn't hard at level 99. I had my ways of getting gil. There was bcnms for Utsusemi Ni scroll which was a valuable drop. I also spent a lot of time is Castle Oztroja for other ninjustsu scrolls. Lastly, the voidwalker nms always had valuable drops. I always had more than a hundred million gil. So the day came when this defending ring dropped, and that was one of those "HELL YEA" moments that no other game can give you even after having played it 10 years.

This thief's career ended when they discontinued console support for FFXI.

Bigpoppapump1
1 month ago#45
Getting rare items make you feel so hyped in FFXI. I don't get that sensation in FFXIV because everything in most games are just handed out now by doing fetch it quests.

Hucast9
1 month ago#46
Bigpoppapump1 posted...
Getting rare items make you feel so hyped in FFXI. I don't get that sensation in FFXIV because everything in most games are just handed out now by doing fetch it quests.

That's why they should bring back a game that is fundamentally the same as Final Fantasy XI. They should make FFXI part 2. No more conviniences. No more easy s***. Make it like it used to be.

User Info: Gary Stanton

Gary Stanton
1 month ago#47
Please please Please let this be true, I would buy it again. Please let it contain the expansions, because I hate that everyone wanted to just kill the monsters all day and I wanted to progress the story. I never even knew how Chains of Promathia ended.
"War as a video game; what better way to raise the ultimate soldier?" - Solid Snake

User Info: Limelol

Limelol
4 weeks ago#48
Still convinced this goes against every aspect that made FFXI special. Completely offline sounds terrible. While ideally I'd want a similar MMO, but with a better pricing model to attract newer players, even 6-man multiplayer could work somewhat well, with some bosses requiring more.

That said, the chance that FFXI will ever be remade as an MMO or multiplayer game is practically non-existent.
"That is so fetch!"

User Info: aluminafalcon

aluminafalcon
4 weeks ago#49
The idea of an offline mmo can work as a game but it has to be balanced in such a way that so party members don’t screw you over yet the world feels dangerous enough that the pc doesn’t wander alone. Xenoblade x stuck a good balance if you need an example
Hanlon's razor " Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Bigpoppapump1
4 weeks ago#50
Hucast9 posted...
Bigpoppapump1 posted...

That's why they should bring back a game that is fundamentally the same as Final Fantasy XI. They should make FFXI part 2. No more conviniences. No more easy s***. Make it like it used to be.

Definitely. FFXIV is just a casual WoW clone. I want an updated FFXI sequel.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. SE is asked about offline version of Final Fantasy XI on PS4

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived