SE is asked about offline version of Final Fantasy XI on PS4

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. SE is asked about offline version of Final Fantasy XI on PS4

User Info: theshoveller

theshoveller
3 weeks ago#121
Hucast9 posted...
theshoveller posted...
I actually played FF11 recently - new character and everything. It is... well, to say it's "piss easy" would be demeaning to piss. Seriously, I hit level cap in maybe a week or two of casual play. You can have an entire party of NPCs with you, they lowered the amount of XP you need to level up, increased the amount of XP you gain from monsters, gave a lot more ways to get XP bonuses to stack on top of that, and even have easy ways to gain leveling gear and cash if you want to buy something off the AH instead.

It's just... so laughably easy now. I actually kinda didn't like it because I wanted something with just a bit more challenge.

You still need a party for Voidwatch notorious monsters, right? A party is still needed for the enemy weakness? There is also that Ambuscade (or whatever it's called) that they added after I left 2 years ago, which also requires a team? I also heard something about high level Dynamis? Do some areas in the game prohibit the use of npc followers? I know some areas were prohibited when I was playing.

You said you wanted challenge. The challenge is how time consuming it was to obtain heavy metal plates to upgrade Empyryon weapons or to obtain Dynamis currency to upgrade Relic weapons. If the time consumption for that hasn't changed, then the challenge is still there. Yes, time consuming things can be considered a challenge.

I have a challenge for you. Obtain an Excalibur, an Aegis shield, and an Ochain shield.

Why? To what end? To "have the best gear?" What would I use it on?

The game is a joke, unless you do high-end content. When you do high-end content, you can't get into a group doing it unless you have the stuff from doing it already - which an outsider, a newer player, wouldn't.

The game is a joke due to its small population necessitating its redesign into such a thing, except for the high-end players - and at that point you're either praying someone takes you in, only to get high-end gear to use to get more high-end gear you won't use or need, or you quit the game.

At the end of the road, you can either pace back and forth or find a different road. It's inherently the same issue with all MMOs, except in this case you've got a dwindling playerbase and a rather exclusionary high-end clique, meaning one of those options looks a hell of a lot more appealing than the other.

So let me rephrase my last statement - I want a challenge and a group of people to do it with. I don't have a group of people to do it with, and I am for damn sure not going to sit around for 3+ hours praying one of the few English-speaking players decides to take a chance on the level-capped player who may or may not be playing his job correctly because his only companions were literally NPCs in an MMO. I want a challenge in attempting to do the content, not attempting to find people to do the content.
Stupid, stupid rat creatures!!!

User Info: Limelol

Limelol
3 weeks ago#122
Hucast9 posted...
Vivi0198 posted...
Yea it's gone to s*** since Abyssea.

If FFXI offered Trusts from the beginning it would have been the perfect game. To me that's what held it back. I loved everything else about FFXI but putting together a leveling group was absolute madness. You would just get a WHM and your Tank would have to leave and it was just an on going s*** show.

Everything else though was absolutely perfect. Leveling, classes, gear progression, NMs, the world, aggro system, battle system, story.

I'll be honest, I hate the Trust followers idea. Before the trust followers idea existed they had the idea of 1 npc follower. One npc follower was perfectly fine. You couldn't use that npc follwer in a lot of areas, so it was in no way overpowered. When they started adding an entire party of npcs I saw that as something undesirable. I understand that it was seen as a necessity, but I find it questionable that it was in fact necessary.

My solution to a smaller population is to merge the servers. I would've been in favor of keeping the status quo without Trust followers, and just merge the servers as needed to have the game with a constant 2k-3k player average at peak times when you search the server population.

As much as I hate it, it was necessary. The game is so old and barely maintained that the majority of the population are people who've been addicted for so long. Even with a 3k population from merges, I feel leveling would be woefully dead.

Even on Asura, prior to Trusts, it was getting to the point where the dunes were completely empty aside from 1 leveling party, if that. Sometimes it wasn't even that. I had a group collapse after waiting 2 hours for a DD and healer to join. It got to the point where we just broke into 2 smaller groups and duo'd.

The game just didn't attract enough newer players to fill those leveling areas. But definitely agree that there were too many servers. That's been an issue for a very long time. Even 10+ years ago, there were way too many.
"That is so fetch!"

User Info: Hucast9

Hucast9
3 weeks ago#123
theshoveller posted...
Hucast9 posted...
theshoveller posted...
I actually played FF11 recently - new character and everything. It is... well, to say it's "piss easy" would be demeaning to piss. Seriously, I hit level cap in maybe a week or two of casual play. You can have an entire party of NPCs with you, they lowered the amount of XP you need to level up, increased the amount of XP you gain from monsters, gave a lot more ways to get XP bonuses to stack on top of that, and even have easy ways to gain leveling gear and cash if you want to buy something off the AH instead.

It's just... so laughably easy now. I actually kinda didn't like it because I wanted something with just a bit more challenge.

You still need a party for Voidwatch notorious monsters, right? A party is still needed for the enemy weakness? There is also that Ambuscade (or whatever it's called) that they added after I left 2 years ago, which also requires a team? I also heard something about high level Dynamis? Do some areas in the game prohibit the use of npc followers? I know some areas were prohibited when I was playing.

You said you wanted challenge. The challenge is how time consuming it was to obtain heavy metal plates to upgrade Empyryon weapons or to obtain Dynamis currency to upgrade Relic weapons. If the time consumption for that hasn't changed, then the challenge is still there. Yes, time consuming things can be considered a challenge.

I have a challenge for you. Obtain an Excalibur, an Aegis shield, and an Ochain shield.

Why? To what end? To "have the best gear?" What would I use it on?

The game is a joke, unless you do high-end content. When you do high-end content, you can't get into a group doing it unless you have the stuff from doing it already - which an outsider, a newer player, wouldn't.

The game is a joke due to its small population necessitating its redesign into such a thing, except for the high-end players - and at that point you're either praying someone takes you in, only to get high-end gear to use to get more high-end gear you won't use or need, or you quit the game.

At the end of the road, you can either pace back and forth or find a different road. It's inherently the same issue with all MMOs, except in this case you've got a dwindling playerbase and a rather exclusionary high-end clique, meaning one of those options looks a hell of a lot more appealing than the other.

So let me rephrase my last statement - I want a challenge and a group of people to do it with. I don't have a group of people to do it with, and I am for damn sure not going to sit around for 3+ hours praying one of the few English-speaking players decides to take a chance on the level-capped player who may or may not be playing his job correctly because his only companions were literally NPCs in an MMO. I want a challenge in attempting to do the content, not attempting to find people to do the content.
Just concentrate on doing Voidwatch nms. Watch the shouting on FFXIauctionhouse.com as you do other things. When someone shouts that they need players for Voidwatch go do it. I forgot which currency is required to do that. It's essential that all players talk to the npc that starts you off on getting this currency, because you obtain that currency automatically daily. If you don't talk to this npc to start that process it's very bad for you. The drops from these nms can be sold for millions.

If no shouts for Voidwatch, then just level Beastmaster so you can get Dynamis currency in the meantime. See, the problem here is that you want to be instantly on par with players who have played for years. That's not going to happen. Gotta start from the bottom.

User Info: ClericIdola

ClericIdola
3 weeks ago#124
I'd definitely like to see an offline remaster of FFXI. It would be similar to a more expansive FFXII experience.

I got as far as Chains of Promathia on PS2 before leaving for college and also being sucked into PSO.
FFXV Comrades Multiplayer beta starting August 3rd!
https://youtu.be/-h0c1hELYVA

User Info: nfobia

nfobia
3 weeks ago#125
Lord_Sniper_IV posted...
nfobia posted...
Why would a sane person play single player offline mmorpg? Thats almost as bad as playing Xenoblade Chronicles X, in other words, insanity. Online, multiplayer and social... those are pretty much only things why this game existed in the first place.

If story is any good, I think it would be easier to check through youtube.

I always thought that its annoying how FFXI is only title in the franchise I never played or completed but on the other hand, I'm clad I never wasted my youth with something like this.

Because the story is good? The content is immense? The game has been already been reworked to be played solo, excluding a select few battles? Because at this point in the games' life linkshells are just an in game discord for people to shoot the s*** while they do things solo anyway? And most importantly, because it's fun? I'd like to know what you "wasted" your youth on.

Yes, but I still dont think its possible to shift mmorpg into enjoyable single player rpg. Those are totally two different genres with different design philosophy. They'd have to remake the whole game.
I wasted my early youth mostly playing single player games.
Jeesus on Herra

User Info: Kazuya_80

Kazuya_80
3 weeks ago#126
yoyoyo333 posted...
Ahh the good ol' days of camping and competing for pulls, nothing comes close

Playing a bunch of other good games rather than grinding 24-7 probably does, unless your the type that thinks painting a wall is quailty entertainment

User Info: HylianLikely

HylianLikely
3 weeks ago#127
I definitely think it'd be worth Square's time to retool FFXI for an offline experience. Not only would it preserve the game but most of the fanbase is centered around the single player entries and they'd make a killing off of it once all of them buy it up. They might as well do it too as we probably won't see FFXVI for at least another six years.
VI>VII>IX>XII>IV>V>VIII>XIII-2>X>I>III>XIII>XV>II

User Info: Lord_Sniper_IV

Lord_Sniper_IV
3 weeks ago#128
nfobia posted...
Lord_Sniper_IV posted...
nfobia posted...
Why would a sane person play single player offline mmorpg? Thats almost as bad as playing Xenoblade Chronicles X, in other words, insanity. Online, multiplayer and social... those are pretty much only things why this game existed in the first place.

If story is any good, I think it would be easier to check through youtube.

I always thought that its annoying how FFXI is only title in the franchise I never played or completed but on the other hand, I'm clad I never wasted my youth with something like this.

Because the story is good? The content is immense? The game has been already been reworked to be played solo, excluding a select few battles? Because at this point in the games' life linkshells are just an in game discord for people to shoot the s*** while they do things solo anyway? And most importantly, because it's fun? I'd like to know what you "wasted" your youth on.

Yes, but I still dont think its possible to shift mmorpg into enjoyable single player rpg. Those are totally two different genres with different design philosophy. They'd have to remake the whole game.
I wasted my early youth mostly playing single player games.

My point is, due to the dwindling player base over the years the game has already been "remade" to be single player friendly. There is hundreds upon hundreds of hours of content, probably 1000s, that can all be completed single player and with trusts. There is very little content that requires multiple people, all they would have to do is adjust stat values and it would be single player viable. Hell even some things that require a party like the Ark Angel fights can be solo'd by a blu or bst. Same with some of the end game bosses in the last zone. The real issue is simply bringing the game to ps4. If they could port it to ps4 they might as well keep it online and breathe new life into it
  1. Boards
  2. PlayStation 4
  3. SE is asked about offline version of Final Fantasy XI on PS4

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived